IGNORED

Bring On The Sags

Barrs Court Red

Would be a good little earner getting them out home in the JPT

Sure the predictble few bores on here will soon be saying "worthless cup" but It would be a sell out. Money talks ladies and gentlemen, and easy local derby victory aside, the most important thing in the world of BCFC right now.

Couldn't agree more.

Home tie would be ideal. Failing that, a home tie against Brighton or Shrewsbury.

Am I the only one that would be even just a tiny bit concerned about the prospect facing Rovers at the moment?

Don't get me wrong, the gulf in class should be plenty wide enough IN THEORY, but with City fans talking already about "easy victories" when we haven't even drawn them yet, well it makes me a little bit nervous about the prospect.

The timing couldn't be worse. Remember they're on their best run of form for years and what with us still lacking a bit up front with Brooker not yet up to speed....these are the things that cup upsets are made of. The sags would be well fired up for it, whereas we're (hopefully) concentrating on a promotion push but with our side still not firing on all cylinders!

Don't tempt fate lads. I'd still rather we were out of this competition if I'm honest.

Having just looked at the crowd figures, the 2002 Cambridge Area final only drew a crowd of 7,173 but then the season before at the same stage it drew a crowd of 12,264.

I think the former was lower following the dissapointment of losing to Cambridge, sorry, being cheated by a linesman the year before.

Maybe Rovers over two legs would make sense, would rather just play them at the Gate though so nothing could be left to chance.

Would be a good little earner getting them out home in the JPT

Sure the predictble few bores on here will soon be saying "worthless cup" but It would be a sell out.

Perhaps the "bores" are not those who justifiably call the JPT a worthless cup, rather those who get excited about a possible match with Rovers. :sleeping:

All that match would offer would be likely injuries and the possibility of embarrassing defeat, as they'd be like nutters chomping at the bit and we'd be expected to win handsomely.

Forest were no doubt momentarily disappointed to lose the penalty shoot out. On reflection this morning they are probably quietly pleased to have the burden of this tiresome competition removed from their fixture calendar so they can concentrate on important matters.

Perhaps the "bores" are not those who justifiably call the JPT a worthless cup, rather those who get excited about a possible match with Rovers. :sleeping:

Yes, those wishing for a sold out Ashton Gate must be right anoraks

All that match would offer would be likely injuries and the possibility of embarrassing defeat, as they'd be like nutters chomping at the bit and we'd be expected to win handsomely.

It's called football, strangely enough I thought local derby games were supposed to be one of the highlights. How sad that some people can not get excited about the big games because someone might get injured. Ever thought of following chess? Oh hang on, risk of blisters!

Forest were no doubt momentarly disappointed to lose the penalty shoot out. On reflection this morning they are probably quietly pleased to have the burden of this tiresome competition removed from their fixture calendar so they can concentrate on important matters.What can be more important than the realistic prospect of a handsome pay day and just maybe a trip to wembley.

So what DOES excite you about football then?

Lets get Shrewsbury at home and get them to beat BRighton and then get them over two legs. Be a great advert for the city of BRistol :)

I'd rather we had Brighton at home, with Rovers playing Shrewsbury.

Nogbad, I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that match would get in the way and I'd relish the chance to play the Gas, especially over a 2-legged run. I'm sure Phillips would play a stormer and win them the game, but I remember the matches from the 90s, and miss them :crying:

Am I the only one that would be even just a tiny bit concerned about the prospect facing Rovers at the moment?

No your not the only one. Six wins in a row at any level shows at least some 'ability' and increases the confidence. We should be good enough but in an ideal world (IMO) we get the Shrews at home, and the Sags lose to Brighton.

A home draw would be a massive benefit though.

I wouldn't call a match against Rovers in the JPT Cup a big game, merely a volatile distraction which on past evidence is likely to lead to City players getting injured.

Do you not remember the game where Peacock was clearly targeted by a succession of Rovers players and was forced off at half time? The local media would hype it to a up to a frenzy and it's more than possible we could lose a couple of players for several important games.

Would it be worth it to beat Rovers and have Brooker sidelined for a further month?

The competition doesn't matter, who cares that we beat Carlisle a few years back?

As for getting excited about football, i went to Arsenal, Coventry, Leeds in the F.A.Cup, Chester when we started climbing back up after '82, the first Freight Rover Final at Wembley.

Big games, exciting games, I'd have been quite happy if that Bolton match had been our last ever match in this irksome competition.

Every City match that matters excites me, I couldn't care less about hoping for a piffling match against Rovers for bragging rights in a completely worthless competition.

Oh, and the Final would be at the Millennium Stadium, NOT Wembley, and i'm in no hurry to return there after the Brighton debacle.

As i said, i've no doubt that on reflection Forest will be relieved to be out, although doubtless too a few of their fans will bemoan the fact at no stage did they have the chance to put one over on Notts.County which would have been one of the highlights of their season. :whistle2:

I know where you're coming from but right now, what excites me most is the possibilty of finding the Holy Grail of promotion to the Championship after eight long hard seasons in the wilderness. Cup finals and games against the sags are very exciting but I'd swap them for promotion without a second thought.

Yes, maybe we could beat Rovers AND win the JPT AND win promotion...that would be outstanding...but equally we could lose to Rovers, pick up injuries, suffer from loss of confidence as a result and finish 7th again...

Where do we want to be? Playing 4th division sides and winning cups that no one else cares about? Or travelling to Elland Road, The Hawthorns, Hillsbrough, Molineaux, St Marys, etc?

I know where you're coming from but right now, what excites me most is the possibilty of finding the Holy Grail of promotion to the Championship after eight long hard seasons in the wilderness. Cup finals and games against the sags are very exciting but I'd swap them for promotion without a second thought.

Yes, maybe we could beat Rovers AND win the JPT AND win promotion...that would be outstanding...but equally we could lose to Rovers, pick up injuries, suffer from loss of confidence as a result and finish 7th again...

Where do we want to be? Playing 4th division sides and winning cups that no one else cares about? Or travelling to Elland Road, The Hawthorns, Hillsbrough, Molineaux, St Marys, etc?

If history is any indication, we'll pretty much take whatever's offered without a second thought. And a home tie against Brighton followed by a Rovers double-header could be big money in terms of gate revenue, which could lead to a possible bonus of funds during the transfer window. And also TV money- possibly if we get the Rovers 2-leg, definitely if we get to the final.

Well put. Sure, if we draw Rovers I'll take pleasure in us beaten them but am I counting down the seconds to the draw on Saturday-No.

Promotion is what excites me not playing 'them' in a nothing competition.

The only way this trophy won't be considered pointless (by me) is if we draw Rovers (esp. in a latter stage) and/or we reach the Final. Admittedly either of these scenario's are looking increasingly possible. If we lose in the Regional Final stage and don't play Rovers, that would be the ultimate pisser. (pardon my Chinese)

I'd prefer to draw them in this forthcoming round as knowing them (and us for that matter) one of us will fall if we're drawn apart.

I'd like to add, I'd still rather we'd gone out in the First round.

I went on a Forest site this morning and there were loads on there saying that this is just the piss pot trophy, and it is beneath them and they just want promotion out of this league. I read those comments and thought "arogant B*****ds!" Now I come on here and see City fans saying the same. :disapointed2se:

A game against R*vers would be welcome and would draw a big crowd and be an enjoyable evening out....anyone who pretends different is deluding themselves. Same as reaching the final, 40,000 City fans would be there all having a great day out...including those on here slagging the competition off.

Any competition we are entered in we should try, and want, to win. Did you see the jubilation from the team when they won the penalty shoot out? How do you think they will feel to read that a lot of City fans couldn't care less?

I really don't understand some people. :dunno:

I went on a Forest site this morning and there were loads on there saying that this is just the piss pot trophy, and it is beneath them and they just want promotion out of this league. I read those comments and thought "arogant B*****ds!" Now I come on here and see City fans saying the same. :disapointed2se:

A game against R*vers would be welcome and would draw a big crowd and be an enjoyable evening out....anyone who pretends different is deluding themselves. Same as reaching the final, 40,000 City fans would be there all having a great day out...including those on here slagging the competition off.

Any competition we are entered in we should try, and want, to win. Did you see the jubilation from the team when they won the penalty shoot out? How do you think they will feel to read that a lot of City fans couldn't care less?

I really don't understand some people. :dunno:

thankyou.....just reading all the above posts and was going to put something then read this one that I'm replying to....what ever i put I'm going to get battered..so i,ll put it anyway...the state of football now has changed...too many big egoes....look at all the upsets taking place...look at england...the most passionate football is played in the lower leagues....sorry to say that but true in my view...and city who are bigger in every way to rovers still need passion in their game...a desire to win....playing as a team...to say youre way better on the pitch is very dodgy indeed..who ever has the desire to win will...really gets on my nerves...like i said before on another post a few weeks back...anyone think you were chelsea or man utd!! youre not ...and football has changed these days as well.....a good derby..not just because its some TINPOT trophy and you might get some injuries...come on guys n gals...city-rovers in a passionate game of football...should be great....but then like you said youre too up yourselves to think that this game would be important to you...for us gasheads were more realistic...been down here for 6 yrs now...its made us better fans......and believe me..there aint much between us on that pitch...there rant over..and i will take all the flak coming my way like a man...regards to all...

thankyou.....just reading all the above posts and was going to put something then read this one that I'm replying to....what ever i put I'm going to get battered..so i,ll put it anyway...the state of football now has changed...too many big egoes....look at all the upsets taking place...look at england...the most passionate football is played in the lower leagues....sorry to say that but true in my view...and city who are bigger in every way to rovers still need passion in their game...a desire to win....playing as a team...to say youre way better on the pitch is very dodgy indeed..who ever has the desire to win will...really gets on my nerves...like i said before on another post a few weeks back...anyone think you were chelsea or man utd!! youre not ...and football has changed these days as well.....a good derby..not just because its some TINPOT trophy and you might get some injuries...come on guys n gals...city-rovers in a passionate game of football...should be great....but then like you said youre too up yourselves to think that this game would be important to you...for us gasheads were more realistic...been down here for 6 yrs now...its made us better fansThat's not true. The constant on your forum, in the last year at least, has been constant moaning about poor support both vocally and in terms of poor crowds.......and believe me..there aint much between us on that pitchBelive, there is....there rant over..and i will take all the flak coming my way like a man...regards to all...

I do agree with most of your post.

thankyou.....just reading all the above posts and was going to put something then read this one that I'm replying to....what ever i put I'm going to get battered..so i,ll put it anyway...the state of football now has changed...too many big egoes....look at all the upsets taking place...look at england...the most passionate football is played in the lower leagues....sorry to say that but true in my view...and city who are bigger in every way to rovers still need passion in their game...a desire to win....playing as a team...to say youre way better on the pitch is very dodgy indeed..who ever has the desire to win will...really gets on my nerves...like i said before on another post a few weeks back...anyone think you were chelsea or man utd!! youre not ...and football has changed these days as well.....a good derby..not just because its some TINPOT trophy and you might get some injuries...come on guys n gals...city-rovers in a passionate game of football...should be great....but then like you said youre too up yourselves to think that this game would be important to you...for us gasheads were more realistic...been down here for 6 yrs now...its made us better fans......and believe me..there aint much between us on that pitch...there rant over..and i will take all the flak coming my way like a man...regards to all...

I generally don't give a damn about playing a division 4 club in the Football league Trophy, it's just not important to Bristol City as club,as where winning promotion is vital for Bristol City to go on to the next level and bring the good days back to Ashton Gate. Don't get me wrong If we do pull you I really hope Johnson plays his strongest team and puts all you born again sags firmly back into the woodwork but if we don't I'm not bothered. It would be a bigger game for Rovers than it is for City,thats not braging or being arrogant it just fact.

In all likely-hood we will probably we kept apart anyway, I have feeling for us away to Shrewsbury and your mob home to Brighton.......so City V Brighton Southern Final it is.

I wouldn't call a match against Rovers in the JPT Cup a big game, merely a volatile distraction which on past evidence is likely to lead to City players getting injured.

Do you not remember the game where Peacock was clearly targeted by a succession of Rovers players and was forced off at half time? The local media would hype it to a up to a frenzy and it's more than possible we could lose a couple of players for several important games.

Would it be worth it to beat Rovers and have Brooker sidelined for a further month?

The competition doesn't matter, who cares that we beat Carlisle a few years back?

As for getting excited about football, i went to Arsenal, Coventry, Leeds in the F.A.Cup, Chester when we started climbing back up after '82, the first Freight Rover Final at Wembley.

Big games, exciting games, I'd have been quite happy if that Bolton match had been our last ever match in this irksome competition.

Every City match that matters excites me, I couldn't care less about hoping for a piffling match against Rovers for bragging rights in a completely worthless competition.

Oh, and the Final would be at the Millennium Stadium, NOT Wembley, and i'm in no hurry to return there after the Brighton debacle.

As i said, i've no doubt that on reflection Forest will be relieved to be out, although doubtless too a few of their fans will bemoan the fact at no stage did they have the chance to put one over on Notts.County which would have been one of the highlights of their season. :whistle2:

Beating Rovers - heavily - is what football is all about, my friend. Especially when you've got naff all to get excited about, relatively!

I generally don't give a damn about playing a division 4 club in the Football league Trophy, it's just not important to Bristol City as club,as where winning promotion is vital for Bristol City to go on to the next level and bring the good days back to Ashton Gate. Don't get me wrong If we do pull you I really hope Johnson plays his strongest team and puts all you born again sags firmly back into the woodwork but if we don't I'm not bothered. It would be a bigger game for Rovers than it is for City,thats not braging or being arrogant it just fact.

In all likely-hood we will probably we kept apart anyway, I have feeling for us away to Shrewsbury and your mob home to Brighton.......so City V Brighton Southern Final it is.

Pay back time :yes:

Archived