IGNORED

Basso Gets Better And Better

Port Said Red

I think we are beginning to see why Johnson has kept faith with Basso. He always was a good shot stopper and I think we all agreed that he commanded the area more effectively than his predecessor. What we can see now is that he clearly has had the right attitude and has worked on those aspects of his game that gave some concern.

Last night he was superb, he even almost saved the equalising as goal (running from one side of the goal to the other), he commanded his area superbly, made two excellent saves during the game and something out of this world for the penalty save.

Some still talk about his kicking, but that prior flaw in his game is becoming less noticeable by the game and I believe he will work to improve it further. His eccentricities are becoming less apparent or more focused on gaining an advantage as in the penalty shootout last night.

Weale may have been brought in to be the number 1 here, but he is going to have a hard job replacing this guy on his current form.

OOH BASSO (We need a Basso style pointing smiley)

I have to say I found it impossible to back him following the Cheltenham debacle. He really did cost us that game. Untill then I was struggling to see why he got so much unwarrented abuse on this forum.

From then on he's come out and proved he is more than capable of being a worthy goalkeeper at this football club.

Personally I think some will moan simply because 1) He's a Johnson signing 2) They can't see the failings of Steve "Flapper" Phillips.

I think we are beginning to see why Johnson has kept faith with Basso. He always was a good shot stopper and I think we all agreed that he commanded the area more effectively than his predecessor. What we can see now is that he clearly has had the right attitude and has worked on those aspects of his game that gave some concern.

Last night he was superb, he even almost saved the equalising as goal (running from one side of the goal to the other), he commanded his area superbly, made two excellent saves during the game and something out of this world for the penalty save.

Some still talk about his kicking, but that prior flaw in his game is becoming less noticeable by the game and I believe he will work to improve it further. His eccentricities are becoming less apparent or more focused on gaining an advantage as in the penalty shootout last night.

Weale may have been brought in to be the number 1 here, but he is going to have a hard job replacing this guy on his current form.

OOH BASSO (We need a Basso style pointing smiley)

There no doubt Weale was expecting to be between the sticks as soon as he was fit but on Basso's current form your absolutely right, theres no way you could drop him, he really is the differance in many games at the moment.

With Carey and McCombe in front of him it has to be one of the strongest central back three's we've had for a very long time.

Archived