IGNORED

Once A Gashead, Always A Gashead!

bh red

Marcus - how do you feel now?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Stewart is gone,

He came, He Tired, He Failed, he left us to join bloomin Yeovil!

Never before has a player had some much written about him, funny thing is, his contract gets terminated by City, so he is free to join any club he wants?

So he joins our local rivals Yeovil Town........but of a slap in the face for us city fans!

Hopefully his fans can now move on with their lives and find other current players to support?

for those feeling the need of desperation, I recommened contacting the below

http://www.samaritans.org.uk/ or 08457 909090

I've voted "glad he's gone!"

Done it at the top, flopped at the bottom.

Too old, too slow, horrendous attitude, huge wages.

His record at this level speaks for itself

Now that he's gone it feels like xmas has come early!

Although we have to endure stupid posts every time he scores for yeovil from january til retirement! :grr: :grr: :grr:

So Stewart is gone,

He came, He Tired, He Failed, he left us to join bloomin Yeovil!

Never before has a player had some much written about him, funny thing is, his contract gets terminated by City, so he is free to join any club he wants?

So he joins our local rivals Yeovil Town........but of a slap in the face for us city fans!

Hopefully his fans can now move on with their lives and find other current players to support?

for those feeling the need of desperation, I recommened contacting the below

http://www.samaritans.org.uk/ or 08457 909090

He came, he tired, he failed - Never knew his fitness was in question.

Also, "he came, he tired, he failed" sounds like the wife's verdict on my sexual performance these days, wlthough at my age I think the first 2 need to be reveresed.

He came, he tired, he failed - Never knew his fitness was in question.

Also, "he came, he tired, he failed" sounds like the wife's verdict on my sexual performance these days, wlthough at my age I think the first 2 need to be reveresed.

shit, bugger, balls..........I can't read and I can't write, but I can drive a tractor!

surprised you can manage that judging from the depth of your comments.

How an earth is it a slap in the face for him to join Yeovil? - he wants to live in the area and Yeovil want him. Sadly our manager did not so MS has chosen to stay local how that makes a City supporter through and through a Gashead I don't know.

He never achieved what he might have with us and was not in my view managed well. The nonsense espoused on here against him is perhaps the saddest part. So he wasn't the success we hoped - he certainly does not deserve some of the moronic comment directed at him on here and is probably better off at Yeovil where he is appreciated.

He goes with the best wishes of many of us and it is sad that even after he has moved on you and others still feel the need to add insult.

surprised you can manage that judging from the depth of your comments.

How an earth is it a slap in the face for him to join Yeovil? - he wants to live in the area and Yeovil want him. Sadly our manager did not so MS has chosen to stay local how that makes a City supporter through and through a Gashead I don't know.

He never achieved what he might have with us and was not in my view managed well. The nonsense espoused on here against him is perhaps the saddest part. So he wasn't the success we hoped - he certainly does not deserve some of the moronic comment directed at him on here and is probably better off at Yeovil where he is appreciated.

He goes with the best wishes of many of us and it is sad that even after he has moved on you and others still feel the need to add insult.

Equally there is plenty of nonsense espoused against the Manager.

I have a funny feeling that Johnson would have wanted a player with Stewart's experience and undoubted ability. What he may not have wanted was the attitude that he ( Johnson) perceived as coming with it. I agree that Stewart did not achieve what he might have done, but I'm not saying he was not managed well, more that the situation was not managed as well as it might have been. Lot's of people have commented that Stewart did what he did for the right reasons but I am also sure that Johnson did what he did for what he thought were the right reasons as well, so in this case we have two right's making a wrong!

In this whole affair what I regret the most is the fact that whether fans feel that Johnson or Stewart was the villain of the piece, they feel obliged to become insulting in their condemnation of either man. Its' a fact of life that in any walk of life there will be personality clashes and that sometimes they are such that the protagonists can't/won't work with each other. That one of them will move on is then an almost inevitable consequence. If we had continued to languish at the bottom of the table it is interesting to speculate as to whether it might be the othert man moving out of Ashton Gate!

What this episiode has done is to confirm my suspicion that too many fans make their judgements about people far to soon. There is another thread running where , following his signing Enoch was condemned as being a worse player than Baz Savage. Give that poster his due, he has come back and eaten humble pie. How many fans were posting on here folowing Marcus's signing that he was the messiah, that his signing would guarantee our promotion because of his record. Similarly, how many fans posted on here following Johnson's appointment that it was terible decision, we needed a higher profile manager etc.etc. The problem is, that pride prevents many from admitting that their early judgements might have been misplaced.

As I see it, the simple facts are that Marcus's didn't quite live up to my expectations and that Johnson has slightly exceded them in that the club is now in better shape than it has been for a few years now. I have no axe to grind with Marcus and hope he does well at Yeovil but that they are behind us in the table come the end of the season and that we are in the top two and heading for the Championship.

Life goes on.

agree with you on all you say. I am not one for insulting GJ - do though think that he could and should have handled MS better. He is though doing a good job and we are 3rd in the league and I am optimistic for the rest of the season. Enoch has been a good acquistion as has McCombe and we have become a lot stronger.

Find the insults toward MS quite unbelievable and the title of this thread is just the kind of nonsense we will hopefully have less of going forward.

Equally there is plenty of nonsense espoused against the Manager.

I have a funny feeling that Johnson would have wanted a player with Stewart's experience and undoubted ability. What he may not have wanted was the attitude that he ( Johnson) perceived as coming with it. I agree that Stewart did not achieve what he might have done, but I'm not saying he was not managed well, more that the situation was not managed as well as it might have been. Lot's of people have commented that Stewart did what he did for the right reasons but I am also sure that Johnson did what he did for what he thought were the right reasons as well, so in this case we have two right's making a wrong!

In this whole affair what I regret the most is the fact that whether fans feel that Johnson or Stewart was the villain of the piece, they feel obliged to become insulting in their condemnation of either man. Its' a fact of life that in any walk of life there will be personality clashes and that sometimes they are such that the protagonists can't/won't work with each other. That one of them will move on is then an almost inevitable consequence. If we had continued to languish at the bottom of the table it is interesting to speculate as to whether it might be the othert man moving out of Ashton Gate!

What this episiode has done is to confirm my suspicion that too many fans make their judgements about people far to soon. There is another thread running where , following his signing Enoch was condemned as being a worse player than Baz Savage. Give that poster his due, he has come back and eaten humble pie. How many fans were posting on here folowing Marcus's signing that he was the messiah, that his signing would guarantee our promotion because of his record. Similarly, how many fans posted on here following Johnson's appointment that it was terible decision, we needed a higher profile manager etc.etc. The problem is, that pride prevents many from admitting that their early judgements might have been misplaced.

As I see it, the simple facts are that Marcus's didn't quite live up to my expectations and that Johnson has slightly exceded them in that the club is now in better shape than it has been for a few years now. I have no axe to grind with Marcus and hope he does well at Yeovil but that they are behind us in the table come the end of the season and that we are in the top two and heading for the Championship.

Life goes on.

Such a very good post Downend, as I have to admit I find with most of your input on this forum, but can I just say, and please take this the right way, most of the vitriol on this subject is aimed at Marcus Stewart, and not so much against Gary Johnson, you know my feeling on the whole Marcus Stewart affair, but I have never slated GJ in any shape or form, but you have to admit the grief that Marcus Stewart has taken is far beyond the bounds of decency, that is why I have tried to support and defend the man, as I would any other City player that would have taken as much grief as he has, and a lot of it was undeservedly so in my book.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say mate.

Such a very good post Downend, as I have to admit I find with most of your input on this forum, but can I just say, and please take this the right way, most of the vitriol on this subject is aimed at Marcus Stewart, and not so much against Gary Johnson, you know my feeling on the whole Marcus Stewart affair, but I have never slated GJ in any shape or form, but you have to admit the grief that Marcus Stewart has taken is far beyond the bounds of decency, that is why I have tried to support and defend the man, as I would any other City player that would have taken as much grief as he has, and a lot of it was undeservedly so in my book.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say mate.

Absolutely understand.

I think the problem on Marcus's side is that he came to the club with such a huge fanfare, although that may not have been of his chosing . I also think that timing has played a big part in how he's been treated. When Johnson came here we all knew that one of the biggest issues that had to be addressed was player discipline - or the lack of it. Almost immediately we had the night club incident, that meant that most fans were even more certain that players had to be "put in their place".

Prior to Johnson's appointment there is no doubt that Marcus had failed to deliver, albeit in a pretty crap side, so the bubble had burst a little and then postings started to appear about his alleged drinking habits. Given the penchant City fans have for having a scapegoat and jumping on a bandwagen quite a bit of momentum quickly built up and Marcus quckly became the focus as being typical of the sort of player attitude we'd had to often in the past i.e. out on the p155 becasue he caried a biot of a reputation from his past.

At the same time we went on the ill fated losing run and during this time, we started to see the criticism start against Johnson, and blame for that was laid firmly at his feet by many posters, some of whom had us already relegated.

When the situation between Marcus and Johnson became apparent battle lines seemed to be drawn up based on whether someone felt Marcus was the ill disciplined type of player we were trying to get rid of, or that Johnson was manager who didn't know his arse from his elbow i.e. managed 9 defeats on the trot. The reason why there are probably more insults hurled at Stewart is that, over time, perhaps more and more fans have seen what Johnson has been achieving with the team and as a result have perhaps started to reconsider their original preconceived opinions about him. Unfortunately for marcus during the same time span there hasn't been very much on his side to cause fans to reconsider their previous views.

The other issue is that the insults hurled in Johnson's direction tend to question his professional judgement and ability to do the job. With Marcus, too many insults have been directed at him on a personnel level, e.g. his drinking habits, that he is a money grabber for wanting to negotiate the best contract he can - ridiculous. The other one that gets mne every time, is when posters say that as a lifelong City fan Marcus should give up everything for the club he loves. That is the biggest load of ballcoks I have ever heard. He is a professional footballer, and he has every entitltment to be paid as per the terms of his contract and if the club then want to transfer him, to try and get the best out of the move that he can, in just the same way that both City and Yeovil would have done.

With hindsight I am sure that things would have been handled a lot differently, adn i am pretty sure Marcus would have left the club at the start of this season but, as they say, life is not a dress rehersal, it's the real thing, so mistakes were made, and will surely be made in the future.

If we knew now that we had promotion secured at the end of the season, would fans have reacted differently to what has happened between Stewart and Johnson?

Is the level of criticism leveled at both men a measure of the frustration so many fans feel because we are still in division 1?

Whatever anyone says about Stewart and Johnson, one thing is true. That is that Johnson wanted to get rid of the clubs drinking culture when he came here. Stewart was one of the forerunners in this. Ok his natural fitness was one of the best at City so you could argue he could get away with it but its hardly a good example to set to the young uns is it.

And before anyone asks how I know that he is a big drinker - everyone knows it and I've seen it with my own blueys, he drinks in a pub a stones throw from my house (I unfortunately live on the gas side of town)

Whatever anyone says about Stewart and Johnson, one thing is true. That is that Johnson wanted to get rid of the clubs drinking culture when he came here. Stewart was one of the forerunners in this. Ok his natural fitness was one of the best at City so you could argue he could get away with it but its hardly a good example to set to the young uns is it.

And before anyone asks how I know that he is a big drinker - everyone knows it and I've seen it with my own blueys, he drinks in a pub a stones throw from my house (I unfortunately live on the gas side of town)

don't live near two mile hill do you??? I know the pub you mean but can't for the life of me remember it's name, Redlegend/Arny mentioned a while back that MS was a regular up there........funny thing is.........IT IS A RENOWED GAS PUB!!!

Absolutely understand.

I think the problem on Marcus's side is that he came to the club with such a huge fanfare, although that may not have been of his chosing . I also think that timing has played a big part in how he's been treated. When Johnson came here we all knew that one of the biggest issues that had to be addressed was player discipline - or the lack of it. Almost immediately we had the night club incident, that meant that most fans were even more certain that players had to be "put in their place".

Prior to Johnson's appointment there is no doubt that Marcus had failed to deliver, albeit in a pretty crap side, so the bubble had burst a little and then postings started to appear about his alleged drinking habits. Given the penchant City fans have for having a scapegoat and jumping on a bandwagen quite a bit of momentum quickly built up and Marcus quckly became the focus as being typical of the sort of player attitude we'd had to often in the past i.e. out on the p155 becasue he caried a biot of a reputation from his past.

At the same time we went on the ill fated losing run and during this time, we started to see the criticism start against Johnson, and blame for that was laid firmly at his feet by many posters, some of whom had us already relegated.

When the situation between Marcus and Johnson became apparent battle lines seemed to be drawn up based on whether someone felt Marcus was the ill disciplined type of player we were trying to get rid of, or that Johnson was manager who didn't know his arse from his elbow i.e. managed 9 defeats on the trot. The reason why there are probably more insults hurled at Stewart is that, over time, perhaps more and more fans have seen what Johnson has been achieving with the team and as a result have perhaps started to reconsider their original preconceived opinions about him. Unfortunately for marcus during the same time span there hasn't been very much on his side to cause fans to reconsider their previous views.

The other issue is that the insults hurled in Johnson's direction tend to question his professional judgement and ability to do the job. With Marcus, too many insults have been directed at him on a personnel level, e.g. his drinking habits, that he is a money grabber for wanting to negotiate the best contract he can - ridiculous. The other one that gets mne every time, is when posters say that as a lifelong City fan Marcus should give up everything for the club he loves. That is the biggest load of ballcoks I have ever heard. He is a professional footballer, and he has every entitltment to be paid as per the terms of his contract and if the club then want to transfer him, to try and get the best out of the move that he can, in just the same way that both City and Yeovil would have done.

With hindsight I am sure that things would have been handled a lot differently, adn i am pretty sure Marcus would have left the club at the start of this season but, as they say, life is not a dress rehersal, it's the real thing, so mistakes were made, and will surely be made in the future.

If we knew now that we had promotion secured at the end of the season, would fans have reacted differently to what has happened between Stewart and Johnson?

Is the level of criticism leveled at both men a measure of the frustration so many fans feel because we are still in division 1?

Again a nice sound reply, and I found my head nodding in agreement to one of your posts...again, as you say at the end of the day, I am as my name on here implies Red till dead, and all I really want is for my club to be succesfull, I think by your profile we have supported the City about the same length of time, and honestly, I can count on one hand, both hands if I'm stretching it ,the happy and glorious times I have enjoyed with the City, so all I crave is a happy and succesfull team.

NO person is bigger than this club, not Marcus Stewart, or Gary Johnson, because although people say the manager is always right, that is incorrect, if it was true we would never see managers of football clubs getting the sack or players like MS leaving the club.

Finally, all we want, that is anyone and everyone who enjoys this forum, is to be part of Bristol City and see them do well, that is one topic that would never be argued on here I am sure, thanks again mate.

Again a nice sound reply, and I found my head nodding in agreement to one of your posts...again, as you say at the end of the day, I am as my name on here implies Red till dead, and all I really want is for my club to be succesfull, I think by your profile we have supported the City about the same length of time, and honestly, I can count on one hand, both hands if I'm stretching it ,the happy and glorious times I have enjoyed with the City, so all I crave is a happy and succesfull team.

NO person is bigger than this club, not Marcus Stewart, or Gary Johnson, because although people say the manager is always right, that is incorrect, if it was true we would never see managers of football clubs getting the sack or players like MS leaving the club.

Finally, all we want, that is anyone and everyone who enjoys this forum, is to be part of Bristol City and see them do well, that is one topic that would never be argued on here I am sure, thanks again mate.

I agree there have not been too many happy and glorius times during my time supporting City. However, I've always said it's all the crap times that make the good times so special. I feel sorry for the younger fans who have known nothing but lower league ( Div 1) football and few sucesses to enjoy, bar the one year in the championship, but I want them to know the feeling I had when we got promotion to the old Div 1 back in the '70's. Also, seeing and hearing the Cioty support at ther millenium stad 3 years back made me proud to support this club, and what potential there is ( even if there were some glory hunters out and about that day) and because of that the result was oneof the worst I have experienced over the years.

I do have a funny feeling that Johnson might just have the ability and the team to get us promoted so we can look forward to a better standard (Championship) of moaning on this MB next season.

don't live near two mile hill do you??? I know the pub you mean but can't for the life of me remember it's name, Redlegend/Arny mentioned a while back that MS was a regular up there........funny thing is.........IT IS A RENOWED GAS PUB!!!

Yeah I do, lovely part of the world. The pub is called The Essex. Very much a gas pub and very much a cider pub too.

again find myself agreeing with much of what you write Downend. However, think MS has been unfairly singled out and do not believe he was a major factor in the so called drinking culture - it existed before he came and it was not he who was arrested after a binge and that is what I find so hypocritical about the whole situation. Players who clearly were a part of the drinking culture drag the club's name through the dirt but are welcomed back with open arms once their jail sentences are completed yet MS is tossed out because he dared to speak his mind with the manager. It has nothing to do with MS and drinking and everything to do with the simple fact that he disagreed with GJ- were it a true desire to get rid of a drinking culture we would have 4 less members in the current squad since by their actions they proved they were a part of such a culture.

Can't we have a fourth option? "Just another player that didn't fit in and moved on" I really find all this emotional claptrap spouted on this forum as ridiculous as the country over reaction to the death of Princess Pushy.

I didn't get too excited when he came, haven't missed him while he has been gone and wish him well in his retirement, (sorry ride off into the sunset). But that's it.

As for him coming back and playing against us. He did it with the Gas before so it will be no different this time.

Yeah I do, lovely part of the world. The pub is called The Essex. Very much a gas pub and very much a cider pub too.

Personally I find it despicable that the mods of this forum allow this kind of libel to be perpetuated on here but will delete any reference to what really happened during the 'hand grenade' incident. Major hypocrisy in my view. Given that Stewart no longer has any formal relationship with Bristol City it would not surprise me greatly if he were to take action against you. No doubt, as mods of this board, you are well aware that the burden of proof in a libel action is on the defendant. In other words you will have to prove that Stewart is a pisshead. No doubt 'RedDave' will prove to be a stellar witness in that regard...

Personally I find it despicable that the mods of this forum allow this kind of libel to be perpetuated on here but will delete any reference to what really happened during the 'hand grenade' incident. Major hypocrisy in my view. Given that Stewart no longer has any formal relationship with Bristol City it would not surprise me greatly if he were to take action against you. No doubt, as mods of this board, you are well aware that the burden of proof in a libel action is on the defendant. In other words you will have to prove that Stewart is a pisshead. No doubt 'RedDave' will prove to be a stellar witness in that regard...

more than just reddave have seen it, a number of people have seen it themselves

as for the libel............quality!...........looking into things posted/not posted about certain player, certain things do actually have substance, I'd imagine said player will let any abuse go over his head, he's not worth his reputation to drag things through court

either way, your posting has given me a giggle! for that I thank you

more than just reddave have seen it, a number of people have seen it themselves

as for the libel............quality!...........looking into things posted/not posted about certain player, certain things do actually have substance, I'd imagine said player will let any abuse go over his head, he's not worth his reputation to drag things through court

either way, your posting has given me a giggle! for that I thank you

It is not just me that has said this. Perhaps it should be deleted, I would understand if it was but I thought it was a fair point to raise in the subject of what I was answering.

We'll leave it to the mods then............. :sleeping:

For me it is a sad situation that Marcus is no longer officially part of our club,in reality he really has'nt been part of it for over a year.

I do believe the losers are both G.J. & M.S.with S.L. being the biggest loser of the lot yet I do not think he even realises it.

This unhappy divisive event is now history,hopefully we fans will not have to listen to mis-truths from G.J. but instead focus on the positive elements that he brings to our club and find ourselves wrapped up in promotion celebrations,

For M.S.its a new chapter,four good ones and one bad one so far in his career and with plenty of time to build another good one.Gerry Gow,Chris Garland,Tom Ritchie & Clive Whitehead were all big enough to lend a hand to Yeovil and I can see Marcus being very instrumental in everything positive there for the next few years.

Archived