IGNORED

Best Mp3 Player/s?

Red Finesse

Hi fellow city fans,

With xmas looming and the nintendo wii totally out of reach before xmas, i have turned my attention to getting a mp3 player for myself from the folks ;) i have a budget of roughly £150 but if there is a clear favourite i will throw in the extras.

I intend to use it mainly in my car, through either a cassette adaptor or an fm tuner. I've been eyeing up the 5th generation ipod video but i know plenty of people whos ipod has gone the way of the dodo, so i am a little sceptical.

What are the best alternatives?

Please help :)

Hi fellow city fans,

With xmas looming and the nintendo wii totally out of reach before xmas, i have turned my attention to getting a mp3 player for myself from the folks ;) i have a budget of roughly £150 but if there is a clear favourite i will throw in the extras.

I intend to use it mainly in my car, through either a cassette adaptor or an fm tuner. I've been eyeing up the 5th generation ipod video but i know plenty of people whos ipod has gone the way of the dodo, so i am a little sceptical.

I've got a creative zen and it does the job perfectly. Good battery life and sound quality. Only cost £125 so good value as well.

Buying one now I would be tempted to get a video one but unless you get a lot of long distance train or bus journeys I don't think its worth it.

I would say that the casette adaptars I've tried are pretty useless and a fm tuner would be better.

• Admin
Hi fellow city fans,

For what it's worth, I'm on my second iPod (first was stolen during a burglary) and have had no problems with either.

I also use the iTrip to broadcast to the stereo in my cars. With the iTrip though the signal isn't that great and you have to ensure the iPod is left in a suitable position to pick up an uninterrupted signal. (However, don't get me wrong, it's not a total loss or 'owt and I don't regret getting it at all and use it on every journey.....particularly useful if you have regular use of more than one vehicle.)

I've had a creative zen for about 18 months and it's been superb.

I still get well over 20 hours of battery life as well.

Plus, use an fm transmitter as a cassette adaptor makes it sound like your speakers are underwater!!

They worth the dosh then Spot?

Can you load yer own tracks onto the thang, from me own *ahem* subtle* collection, or is it download only?

They worth the dosh then Spot?

Can you load yer own tracks onto the thang, from me own *ahem* subtle* collection, or is it download only?

Well worth it imo. I splashed out for a 40gb after a lot of debating and i reckon it's some of the best money i've ever spent!! I've got well over 5000 tracks on it and am adding albums every week!!

I use the windows media player for uploading and it's easy. You just rip your cd's onto it then sync it to your player.

We go camping a lot so with a small pair of travel speakers you can take your whole music collection with you, and with the fm transmitter you can play what you like on the journey.

I do 12 hour shifts at work so i play mine on random a lot. I've got a wide range of music styles (inluding lots of the kids stuff i maybe would have never listened to) so it is like listening to the radio without all the annoying waffle in between songs, and if you get bored with a track then you just skip forward. I often listen to mine for 11 hours straight!!

Also you can put audio books, or radio plays on them. If you're doing a boring job but can't physically read a book it's perfect and makes a boring night shift go faster!!!

I don't like paying interest on credit cards or the like, but if mine packed up i would go straight out and get another no matter how bad the finances are.

Well worth it imo. I splashed out for a 40gb after a lot of debating and i reckon it's some of the best money i've ever spent!! I've got well over 5000 tracks on it and am adding albums every week!!

I use the windows media player for uploading and it's easy. You just rip your cd's onto it then sync it to your player.

We go camping a lot so with a small pair of travel speakers you can take your whole music collection with you, and with the fm transmitter you can play what you like on the journey.

I do 12 hour shifts at work so i play mine on random a lot. I've got a wide range of music styles (inluding lots of the kids stuff i maybe would have never listened to) so it is like listening to the radio without all the annoying waffle in between songs, and if you get bored with a track then you just skip forward. I often listen to mine for 11 hours straight!!

Also you can put audio books, or radio plays on them. If you're doing a boring job but can't physically read a book it's perfect and makes a boring night shift go faster!!!

I don't like paying interest on credit cards or the like, but if mine packed up i would go straight out and get another no matter how bad the finances are.

Spot on!! Exactly the info I need, I'll get one in Jan. May need it if I get called up 40gb, plenty of the old motorhead n pals to go on!!

Got small speakers already too Great fer bike shows too!

Cheers Spot!!

Plus, use an fm transmitter as a cassette adaptor makes it sound like your speakers are underwater!!

same here, quality players and easy enough for even me to use.

I would like a 20gb HD one next time round though.

Right, after much deliberation and reading all of your helpful comments and many others over the net, i think i have come to a decision.

I will link below the player and accessories i intend to buy:.........

Creative Zen M

Tunedok Although it says for ipods 1st and 3rd gen, the zen is nearly exact size of 1st gen ipod. This is ideal for me because my car has its cup holders just below the center air vents (Golf mkIV)

Fm Transmitter I found out this morning when my car stereo swallowed a cassette i put into it and refused to play or eject it, the cassette adaptor is not an option!!! (don't worry, a pair of long nosed pliers sorted that little problem!) so the fm transmitter is the only option. I chose this particular one because it comes with rechargable batteries, has a huge chanel selection and has a charger.

Zen M Skin probably go for the clear coloured one (crystal)

If any of you have had any experience with any of these items, i would really appreciate some feedback before i go and splash the cash :)

I think if your car stereo head unit has a multi-CD input you can get an adapter that plugs into that for many common MP3 players.

I always found that the FM transmitter meant that no bass came through whatsoever, so I'm going for the multi-CD adapter for my ipod when I get a chance. The ipod fits perfectly into the spare change slide tray in an audi (so probably in a vw and a skoda too?) so I'm getting it mounted to fit in that so noone can tell if it's in the car when I forget to put it away - and you can control it through the CD buttons on the main head unit.

What is the FM Transmitter used as a cassette adaptor actually for making it sound like the Car Speakers are underwater? As there is already an FM Radio on the Creative Zen Micro & Creative Zen Vision: M and I've already got a Cassette adaptor to use them in a Car Cassette Radio?

What is the FM Transmitter used as a cassette adaptor actually for making it sound like the Car Speakers are underwater? As there is already an FM Radio on the Creative Zen Micro & Creative Zen Vision: M and I've already got a Cassette adaptor to use them in a Car Cassette Radio?

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Sorry mate, your post didn't make alot of sense to me, but the FM transmitter broadcasts whatever your listening to on your MP3 player to a radio station of your choice

Archived