IGNORED

Christian Roberts

Taz

Usually the odd post on here full of criticism, so I'm going to start a positive one.

In my opinion he was the Man of the match tonight (with Carey a close second). Was quick, looked bright, and thanks to a few quick passes out of defence had the opposition chasing and trying to get the ball back from him on the counter attack quite often.

Was also very unlucky not to get on the score sheet after connecting from a great Lee Miller ball that was tipped over by the keeper. That one was heading for the top of the net.

Like I said before, Carey (the official MOTM) had a great game as well, however for me Robbo slightly eclipsed him.

Butler also had a pretty good game, getting in the way of a few crosses, as did Aaron before he went off injured.

Someone help me out here....we are talking about Christian Roberts, who played on our right wing tonight??

I must have been watching a different game to the rest of you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Roberts hater, I think a confident, on-song Roberts is a great asset.

I counted a number of occasions when Chris just ambled back and the bloke he was supposed to be picking up ran off/past him.

This is not the time to start carrying players and I feel, in my opinion, the others carried Roberts tonight.

I respect opinions of others and that's fair enough, if you think Roberts played well then ok, but in my opinion, he didn't!!

The reason Carey had a good game was because he had someone on the right who their defence was concerned about. With Wiltshire playing there the defence knows he has no pace therefore it does not open up for Carey.

Keep Roberts in he is the best we have got in that position

• Admin

People were only saying earlier today how Carey hasn't been as effective since Murray left. Tonight was one of his best perfomances since then and that is down in no small part to Roberts being a player of the pacy vareity.

Roberts looked slightly less selfish tonight too.

On a separate note, I was heartened to see what a team player Miller was when he came on. When Roberts had that shot tipped over by the keeper after being put through by Miller, Lee came over and said a quick "well done/chin up" sort of thing (I'm assuming anyway as Roberts looked pleased that he'd done it) then when Roberts shot after Miller had taken up a decent position, Lee again told Robbo, not to worry (or again words to that effect as Robbo obviously appreciated the gesture).

This sort of action is probably the way to get the best out of Christian who is quite clearly a player who thrives on confidence rather than Peacock's tried & tested method of bawling Roberts out every time a pass goes slightly astray or he chooses to shoot instead of lay things on a plate for LeeP.

I thought Robbo was immense tonight, he ran their defence ragged, layed a goal on a plate for Goodfellow, although he missed.

I though tht Carey looked so much better with Robbo infront of him, and agree one of his best performances for a long time.

Hopefully Robbo will get a run on the right now, with a run the goals will come, he hasn't been able to show his true ability so far, because he has never been given a descent run anywhere, and has always been first to come off.

Guest redcard
He would be o.k if he could hit a barn door
Bit like Lee Peacock then and he has been picked come hell or high water, give Christian credit he had a good game tonight, gave us the balance we have been missing. A good outlet with pace he needs a run of games to build his confidence, he could with the right coaching be a great player. All the attributes pace, balance, skill and cockiness you need to give you that edge.

Agree Roberts did play well and got the best out of Carey. Seemed to fade second half though - obviously lacks match practice.

On one ocassion, when Roberts didn't track back and defend, Peacock sprinted past him and challenged the defender got the ball and passed it on to Tinnion. Roberts got such a b*****ing from Danny for that as it was right in front of our dugout!

Still, made one or two mistakes, got blasted by elements of the Williams stand endlessly, but personally I'd love to see him on the right again against Oldham. Gives us a much more balanced look and created chances.

Archived