IGNORED

Finances

wookey

There seems an unstated assumption that all our financial problems will be behind us if we win promotion to the Championship.

However, although we, as spectators, will pay greatly increased ticket prices and there will be increased funds from Television coverage, all the players and GJ will expect, and get, big increases in wages and bonuses and any new players will cost far more to acquire.

I cannot see, at the end of the day, our finances being much better than now unless we can dramatically increase the seating capacity at Ashton Gate which in itself would need capital financing.

Can anyone see how we could make a profit in the Championship?

We don't need to increase the capacity of Ashton gate for the Championship if we get there, we wouldn't fill it unless we're near the top and even then not until the latter stage of the season.

We'd get more money in the Championship from:

- 2-3,000 extra ticket sales per game (higher away attendances too)

- much more TV money

- better sponsorship deals

- charging more for advertising

- better sales for corporate hospitality and the Premier club etc

- higher transfer fees if we sell a player

I'd guess it would be worth a couple of million a year more revenue in the first season and if we were to stay there for a few seasons it would probably increase.

Of course, costs would increase as well, and promotion in itself will not solve all our financial problems - we need to spend our money more wisely, get more revenue off the pitch, and attract more fans. However, without promotion our problems will be worse IMO.

Seeing as pretty much every club in the country makes a loss, to a greater or lesser extent, I don't think it really matters what league you are in. If anything, clubs higher up the league ladder are likely to suffer greater losses than those lower down due to the increased investments in transfer fees and wages required.

Archived