IGNORED

Happy Christmas From First Bus

StapleHillPhil

Yet another kick in the teeth for users of public transport in Bristol.

Thanks First.

BUS FARES UP BY 10P ON AVERAGE Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list 4 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views. BY RUPERT JANISCH R.JANISCH

10:40 - 19 December 2006 Bus fares around Bristol are to rise again in the new year, with city operator First blaming the increase partly on the redevelopment of Broadmead.

The company says Bristol is now second only to London for congestion and average bus speeds around the city have shrunk to just eight miles an hour.

It says this compares to 11 miles an hour in 2003 and that for every one mile an hour lost to this figure, operating costs rise by 10 per cent.

Other reasons cited by First for the new price hikes include leaping fuel prices and a 12 per cent increase in insurance costs and claims.

So from Saturday, January 7, the vast majority of single and return fares around the city will rise by 10p, with the average increase being three per cent, lower than the Retail Price Index of 3.9 per cent but higher than the Consumer Price Index of 2.7 per cent.

City centre users in First's zones one and two will be hit hardest, with books of 10 tickets rising from £20 to £24.

Some commuter services, including those from Bristol to Bath and Bath to Chippenham, are seeing reductions and First managing director Tony Anthistle said increases were being kept to a minimum.

Bus users said the ticket price hikes were an unwelcome addition to an already overpriced service.

Mr Anthistle said: "While a fares restructure will never be a popular announcement, I am delighted we have been able to keep increases to an absolute minimum and have actually made some reductions in fares.

"Our ongoing evaluation of fares enables us to recognise the excellent work of our nearly 2000 staff in the Bristol, Somerset and Avon area and to realise our ongoing investment programme in the region.

"The increasing congestion in Bristol, particularly around the Broadmead redevelopment does not help journey times and reliability.

"Bristol is now second only to London in the congestion stakes.

"The industry calculates that for every one mile per hour reduction in speed, you add 10 per cent to costs.

"Since 2003 our schedules show that the average speed within Bristol has dropped from 11 miles per hour to eight, though given the high levels of roadworks around the city, we would estimate that the average speed today is considerable slower. However, our continuing partnerships with local authorities, particularly the Greater Bristol Bus Network, means we are working towards making bus travel an increasingly attractive alternative to the car.

"There are many exciting developments coming in 2007 and beyond and we hope you see our investment in buses as evidence of our commitment to improving our working and living environment."

Bus user James Whale, aged 27 from Redland, regularly catches the number 8 or 9 service from his Redland home to work in the city centre.

He said: "I try to avoid catching the bus because it hasn't got any better recently but sometimes I have to use it to get around.

"It seems they are trying to slip price hikes under the radar, but prices are already too expensive for what the service is providing.

"I can't see how they can justify charging users any more. It's ridiculous."

And they wonder why people drive everywhere. :no:

A shocking rise for a very poor service.

What really, really bugs me is that the buses are always full of old people riding around all day for free, whilst kids pay 2/3 not 1/2 adult fare. I think last time I went into town , 1 adult and 2 kids it was over £7.00 return for less than 3 mile journey!

Anyone catching a bus too early to get a return must have a big chunk of their wages taken by bus fare, and then there's all the time wasted waiting for full and dirty buses to turn up.

I don't know how they have the nerve to increase prices. :ranting:

Well I hope after the broadmead development is finished and journey times in the centre improve then they will have the courtesy to reduce the fares. However something tells me they wont.

I HATE FirstBus with a vengence.

My missus got incredible attitude from a bus driver a few weeks ago for getting on with a FIVE pound note. Even when I complained to FirstBus they said the driver was out of order and you can pay with notes (max £10 note) which is totally understandable. I am waiting to see this driver myself and see if he gives a 16st, 6ft2 bloke so much shit!

:devil:

Other reasons cited by First for the new price hikes include leaping fuel prices and a 12 per cent increase in insurance costs and claims.

What I find interesting is that they did an extra price hike last December to compensate for the huge jump in fuel prices over the year. Now I don't know what the price of their fuel is like, but I just looked up the price of standard petrol in December 2005 - which was 87.7 pence and the price now a year later - 87.9 pence.

As for this thing about insurance costs I find it a bit galling that we have to pay extra because they don't train their drivers properly, I've been on two buses this year that have had collisions due to driver error.

Amazing thing is at uni it is 60p for a fairly long journey (15 mins at least), and that is on First buses as well. Is really confusing.
Presumably they have a competitor on that route then? It is amazing how much they can drop prices when there are other bus companies trying to steal their routes!

What I find interesting is that they did an extra price hike last December to compensate for the huge jump in fuel prices over the year. Now I don't know what the price of their fuel is like, but I just looked up the price of standard petrol in December 2005 - which was 87.7 pence and the price now a year later - 87.9 pence.

As for this thing about insurance costs I find it a bit galling that we have to pay extra because they don't train their drivers properly, I've been on two buses this year that have had collisions due to driver error.

Presumably they have a competitor on that route then? It is amazing how much they can drop prices when there are other bus companies trying to steal their routes!

Not really, and we only have to wait about 10 mins for a bus to come (for reference we are in Falmouth/Penryn in Cornwall which is a tiny little place when compared with Bristol).

Archived