IGNORED

Snatching A Point From The Jaws Of Defeat

openEnd

If ever there was a game to illustrate a teams credentials for promotion. Today was it.

At half time, no doubt, a 3rd Cheltenham goal would have seen a mass exodus from Whaddon Road, but it didn't happen.

I'm getting a little tired of posts 'we're going to get found out', 'we'll come unstuck against better sides',

... but hang on we've played everybody now, are you worried about anything you have seen? I aint, coupled with the fact we now have a side that have a bit of gumption about them, GJ must be given a bit a praise for that, surely?

Promotion seasons are made of days just like today and I don't say this lightly

Believe it folks, we are going up.

If ever there was a game to illustrate a teams credentials for promotion. Today was it.

At half time, no doubt, a 3rd Cheltenham goal would have seen a mass exodus from Whaddon Road, but it didn't happen.

I'm getting a little tired of posts 'we're going to get found out', 'we'll come unstuck against better sides',

... but hang on we've played everybody now, are you worried about anything you have seen? I aint, coupled with the fact we now have a side that have a bit of gumption about them, GJ must be given a bit a praise for that, surely?

Promotion seasons are made of days just like today and I don't say this lightly

Believe it folks, we are going up.

Fact; we werent on the same pitch till h/t

Fact; 2pts lost not 1pt gained

We have with regular monotony not turned up against lesser teams; whether its the same as like Man Utd v Southend you havent just got to cross the white line, you have to put the EFFORT in for both halves against whoever you are playing or you will come unstuck;

We were lucky to escape with a point yesterday, now G.J. (a decent manager) should have had them up for this at the start and thats when the "talk" at halftime should of been fired into them.

Yes promo seasons are made of days like yesterday, both won and lost.

Pleased to gawd he gets them sorted for Bournemouth as we SHOULD take them apart.

Fact; we werent on the same pitch till h/t

We have with regular monotony not turned up against lesser teams; whether its the same as like Man Utd v Southend you havent just got to cross the white line, you have to put the EFFORT in for both halves against whoever you are playing or you will come unstuck;

We were lucky to escape with a point yesterday, now G.J. (a decent manager) should have had them up for this at the start and thats when the "talk" at halftime should of been fired into them.

Yes promo seasons are made of days like yesterday, both won and lost.

Pleased to gawd he gets them sorted for Bournemouth as we SHOULD take them apart.

The interesting thing yesterday is that Johnson and Millen said what they had to say very quickly at half time yesterday and left the players to get on with the rest of half time themselves - I remember Graham Taylor doing something similar once along the lines of "you got us into this mess now you go and get us out of it" and it seems like the management team's bit of psychology worked yesterday. But what is frustrating is that had we gone at them from the start we could have been looking at a good half time lead followed by 45 minutes of nicely passing the ball around and using up little energy to claim the win. That is why Johnson is so annoyed. As for firing the lads up there is only so much words by the manager can do - ultimately the players have to instill that "fired up" mentality in themselves or alternatively Johnson has to start dropping them.

How is that a fact??

It is your personal opinion. I find it hard to see how Cheltenham will see it as a 'point gained'! Surely it's two points lost for them, after all they were seconds away from a win.

This 2pts lost line makes no sense.

In essence all games that we don't win are points lost.

I hoped that we'd beat Cheltenham easy, but I certainly didn't expect it. Had City been throwing games away consistently, I'd be angry at that first half performance, but as we've produced a reasonable quality of football in most of our 23 games, I can tolerate a point away without too much distress.

We could be top in a few days!!

• Admin
How is that a fact??

It is your personal opinion. I find it hard to see how Cheltenham will see it as a 'point gained'! Surely it's two points lost for them, after all they were seconds away from a win.

This 2pts lost line makes no sense.

In essence all games that we don't win are points lost.

I hoped that we'd beat Cheltenham easy, but I certainly didn't expect it. Had City been throwing games away consistently, I'd be angry at that first half performance, but as we've produced a reasonable quality of football in most of our 23 games, I can tolerate a point away without too much distress.

We could be top in a few days!!

Yeah but so far this season we have already "lost" 28 points.

If this trend continues then we will have lost 56 points by the end of the season! That's as many as Southend lost last season! Disgraceful.

Yeah but so far this season we have already "lost" 28 points.

If this trend continues then we will have lost 56 points by the end of the season! That's as many as Southend lost last season! Disgraceful.

i think it was a good point johnson said he would take 8 points out of 12 over christmas and we should do that with our home form as it is, bournemouth should really help us get back some of the goal difference.

umm, but we were never in the lead and never in a position during the game where we were getting 3 points, if we had taken the lead and then ended up drawing, then it is a case of 2 points lost, however yesterday coming from 2-0 down to 2-2 is very much point gained.

The interesting thing yesterday is that Johnson and Millen said what they had to say very quickly at half time yesterday and left the players to get on with the rest of half time themselves - I remember Graham Taylor doing something similar once along the lines of "you got us into this mess now you go and get us out of it" and it seems like the management team's bit of psychology worked yesterday. But what is frustrating is that had we gone at them from the start we could have been looking at a good half time lead followed by 45 minutes of nicely passing the ball around and using up little energy to claim the win. That is why Johnson is so annoyed. As for firing the lads up there is only so much words by the manager can do - ultimately the players have to instill that "fired up" mentality in themselves or alternatively Johnson has to start dropping them.

Interesting that you use a Graham Taylor analogy. I said to my mates at yesterdays game that we are trying to get promoted Watford style. Ugly buy effective, trouble is we havn't got the uncompromising midfield or another three Enoch's up front.

If Millen and Johnson wish to re-live the Watford experience, it will mean considerable player changes in Jan.

I thought the way we played second half was more the City way especially when a recognised wide man came on to give the side balance. Credit for the fightback but ala Brentforf that was two points dropped. The league position is great but with those extra four points we would be top tonight. With many of the fancied clubs still to come to Ashton Gate, we will have to win more away (obviously).

I'm confrident that the transfer market will be used to effect in January. It would be criminal to waste another golden oppotunity. But let's play to our players strenghts, continualy punting the ball aimlessly in the air is not helping Johnson Junior's game (or Jevons), funny how he influenced events once the ball was played to feet.

Archived