IGNORED

Boosting The Attendances.

City_pete1

Good attendance yesterday. But Somehow I think those fans that don't come to watch city all the time will not be too impressed with what they saw yesterday.

Steve L & Colin S keep coming out and trying to get higher attendances, but if anything I think yesterday could be counter-productive.

I can only afford to go to about 1 in 3 home games at the moment due to my debts from traveling (having been a season ticket holder before I left) , but after that game I thought why do I do it! £21 to watch that in a terrible atmosphere and in my opinion a game we did not deserve to get anything from, when you consider we were the home team. I could do a lot better for my money.

God only knows what the people who don't usually go but went yesterday must of thought. Two families were sat near me, and I tend to sit in the same area and I had never seen them before. I have no doubt they will not come again from what they said!

Obviously I will be back but a lot would be put off even more by that.

Good attendance yesterday. But Somehow I think those fans that don't come to watch city all the time will not be too impressed with what they saw yesterday.

Steve L & Colin S keep coming out and trying to get higher attendances, but if anything I think yesterday could be counter-productive.

I can only afford to go to about 1 in 3 home games at the moment due to my debts from traveling (having been a season ticket holder before I left) , but after that game I thought why do I do it! £21 to watch that in a terrible atmosphere and in my opinion a game we did not deserve to get anything from, when you consider we were the home team. I could do a lot better for my money.

God only knows what the people who don't usually go but went yesterday must of thought. Two families were sat near me, and I tend to sit in the same area and I had never seen them before. I have no doubt they will not come again from what they said!

Obviously I will be back but a lot would be put off even more by that.

What with the craic and anything that may just enduce a Footballing atmosphere having been banned on health and safety regulations I'm not bothering with an ST next season, for the first time since I was 13.

Hoping this is a trend to become common..

New Labour used 'Things Can Only Get Better' as their original campaigning song...most apt for this massive issue too I hope most would agree..

Totally agree with what you are suggesting. City never fail to disappoint do they when faced with a big crowd.

Other than the Hartlepool game in 04 how many other tiimes have City really made the fringe fan want to come back for more.

I was really looking forward to the games from Cheltenham through to Tranmere : 7 games in 22 days which could have seen us [based on the quality of opposition] possibly get max points from the 4 over Christmas & New Year and in so doing consolidate a top 2 position.

Well, we're 2 games into that sequence and must win on Sat and New Year's day to maintain the reqired 2 points per game ratio.

Then we have Coventry in the cup - winnable, yes. Big crowd ? No more than vs. Bournemouth in my opinion. Chance of a big headline grabber vs. Man U or Arsenal in Round 4 ?

Then Brighton - if the final is at New Wembley, what greater incentive for any City player to be the scorer of the first ever goal at the refurbished stadium. But then I was at Brentford when a win would have secured Top spot but that clearly was not incentive enough to draw a decent performance !!

And Tranmere - if we had prospered over Christmas a draw might have been acceptable. A big crowd ? Well, if City beat Cov and draw a Top 4 prem side then make the game vs. Tranny a voucher issuing game for the big all ticket cup tie 2 weeks later. A big crowd - you know what happens next !!

[Feb 74 City vs. Oxford : 25,000 for a game that saw vouchers issued for the 6th Round game vs. Liverpool the following week !!]

Now I'm not knocking anyone on this....but being 2-0 down twice, and then getting back to 2-2 in both, with 3 of the goals coming in the last 15 minutes of games.

That's pretty damn exciting to me!

The atmosphere at Cheltenham was great IMO because even though we played rubbish, the fans rightly booed and jeered our players, but then immediatly started singing to build them up. This let the players know we were unhappy with the performance, yet still supported them! I'm pretty sure Orr noticed this as by what he said in his post-match interview.

When was the last time an opposition team was 2-0 down to us at half time and then started cheering their team on louder than the home fans?

Now I'm not knocking anyone on this....but being 2-0 down twice, and then getting back to 2-2 in both, with 3 of the goals coming in the last 15 minutes of games.

That's pretty damn exciting to me!

The atmosphere at Cheltenham was great IMO because even though we played rubbish, the fans rightly booed and jeered our players, but then immediatly started singing to build them up. This let the players know we were unhappy with the performance, yet still supported them! I'm pretty sure Orr noticed this as by what he said in his post-match interview.

When was the last time an opposition team was 2-0 down to us at half time and then started cheering their team on louder than the home fans?

Point taken. Still, I did not find yesterday exciting.

I thought the atmosphere (as mentioned in other threads) was terrible and you could hear a pin drop in the first half, from the second it kicked off. Did I enjoy yesterday? No, and not taking the result, ie not winning, into the equation either.

Now I love city and will go back (obviously!) but my point is that the familes and part-timers will not be encouraged to go again after yesterday. The 'match day experience' was terrible and in my opinion, so was the game.

So much for festive spirit!!!!

I think if I was a fringe fan I wouldn't return. The depressing mood of the place was awful! It seemed like everyone had had their Christmas presents stolen!

No singing, just moan, moan, moan, moan, moan. And to top it all some old ginter elbowed me in the back (unprovoked) on the way out to Ashton Rd and tried to start a fight with me!!! Even though I'm half his age!! What is this world coming to????

If I was a neutral, judging by yesterday, it would seem like all City fans are grumpy, sour and unsupportive.

Yes, we all criticise and get excasperated when we are losing to the likes of Bournemouth and playing poorly, but that is when we should be behind the team the most! I'd hate to think what it'd be like if we were near the bottom!

Feeling slightly disillusioned but still keeping the faith!

S Hants Cidered

The atmosphere was poor, but then that's just par for the course.

The thing about making football safe family entertainment is that it's a double edged sword. Yes, it makes more money, easier to sell etc, but Millwall at home was far more enjoyable imo and games where there's an edge or the hint of trouble make for a much greater atmosphere. Roll on promotion and the arrival of Cardiff, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Plymouth, West Brom, Sunderland, Leicester, Wolves and the much improved atmosphere this will bring!!!!

The atmosphere was poor, but then that's just par for the course.

The thing about making football safe family entertainment is that it's a double edged sword. Yes, it makes more money, easier to sell etc, but Millwall at home was far more enjoyable imo and games where there's an edge or the hint of trouble make for a much greater atmosphere. Roll on promotion and the arrival of Cardiff, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Plymouth, West Brom, Sunderland, Leicester, Wolves and the much improved atmosphere this will bring!!!!

i think "the hint of trouble" bit may be overstating it. Good history between the clubs and fans exchanging banter between each other certainly make for a better atmosphere.

yesterday was typical of an ashton gate with limited opportunity for like-minded fans to congregate.

i think "the hint of trouble" bit may be overstating it. Good history between the clubs and fans exchanging banter between each other certainly make for a better atmosphere.

yesterday was typical of an ashton gate with limited opportunity for like-minded fans to congregate.

Sorry, but the added buzz of trying to intimidate the oppositions fans does make a better atmosphere. Yesterday was drab, both on the field and off, would rather have the edge of more hostile opposing fans to get the City faithful singing.

Sorry, but the added buzz of trying to intimidate the oppositions fans does make a better atmosphere. Yesterday was drab, both on the field and off, would rather have the edge of more hostile opposing fans to get the City faithful singing.

the handwringers do not understand the difference between exchanging banter between fans and wanting to kick heads in.

Just because i want to exchange banter with my welsh football friends about the merits of their recreational past times does not mean I am a football hooligan or that large portions of the ground should remain closed to city fans.

I agree with what you are saying but people on here will take you literally. Using language such as "intimidation" increases steve lansdown's blood pressure and his random east end cost number generator goes haywire.

DO IT NOW!!!!!!

OPEN THE EAST END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to be honest, I was not sure about the East End debate, and where I stand on the issue. I have/had heard many stories from my dad and friends who love the Eat End. However, last night I sat in the East End for the Bath/Bristol game. Sat where the away fans are. Block C, Row V, seat 90. The seats were bloody uncomfortable, but I really enjoyed it. When a roar from the crowd was heard, the sound difference (due to the roof) was obvious. It was a very weird experience going in through the away turnstiles though, and seeing blue all around the stadium.

I now know where I stand on the East End issue - I'm a convert!

PS - For info on the pitch, I was amazed that I saw 10 groundsmen on the pitch with forks within 5 mins of f/t wistle - they are putting the effort to get the pitch ok, thats for sure!

Archived