IGNORED

Sense Of Realism/just One Season Ago!

alanpayne

Prior to the last two games I was fairly confident we could finish in the top two.

Having attended those games a sense realism has suddenly hit me! We are not a top two side and unless we add some real real quality to the squad in the transfer window, play-off is the best we can hope for.

Perhaps I/we just need to remember where were in the table one season ago and how much progress we have made under Gary.

As we all know when a new manager comes in he often achieves some early victories. This is usually off the back of players temporarily lifting their games to impress the new manger. However, very few managers produce a sustainable turn around in a short space of time. We also need to remember that Gary has spent little money and was forced to sell Cottrell.

Maybe my "expectations" were too high! Trying to console myself!

Well just over two season ago we were in the play off final, and finishing third in the leauge to teams spending lots of money.

So have we moved much further on with GJ ?

Well said my friend but stand by to get insulted as I often do - not that I worry !

You will get " it is all Tinman's fault "

plus " GJ got us from the bottom to the top " - never mind he presided over a record breaking losing run !

plus " he has got rid of the drinkers and play boys "

plus " all his signings are great "

plus " his son is our best midfield player "

and so on.............

End of this season we will be lucky to have done as well as Wilson did but do the posters really care - wait for the replies and judge for yourself !

Well just over two season ago we were in the play off final, and finishing third in the leauge to teams spending lots of money.

thing is, you can't judge GJ from that far back as he wasn't he, unfortunatly in between we had the Tinnion era, where he totally undid alot of the work done by Wilson and lost pretty much the entire team since the final.

since GJ has been here he has had the on and off field problems to deal with, in both situations the progress over the 15months here has been great, obviously too early to judge, but very much a case of so far so good overall,

some people seem to think/hope he would be sacked by Xmas

plus...........how long did it actually take us to get to the position of the Play-off final? 4 seasons

GJ has got us to a similar level so far, but it's too early to judge, Tinnion took us a back a step, but since GJ has come in the progress has been good, plus with very little spent

we have come a long way since Johnson has been here, long may it continue

early days, but a case of so far so good

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves
thing is, you can't judge GJ from that far back as he wasn't he, unfortunatly in between we had the Tinnion era, where he totally undid alot of the work done by Wilson and lost pretty much the entire team since the final.

since GJ has been here he has had the on and off field problems to deal with, in both situations the progress over the 15months here has been great, obviously too early to judge, but very much a case of so far so good overall,

some people seem to think/hope he would be sacked by Xmas

plus...........how long did it actually take us to get to the position of the Play-off final? 4 seasons

So far so good. I agree with you.

Personally, I think Wilson should have carried things through following the Play Off defeat. But this was not to be. A crazy decision to appt Tinnion took the club backwards. Johnson took on a big job & I still have concerns that he is the right guy. But without playing that well he has secured us firmly in the mix & we have some exciting times ahead.

Johnson has instilled a discipline & desire that has to be applauded. And he deals with fans & press so well.

He is a lucky manager & all bodes well.

We are fourth in the league and has yet to play our best footboll.

Nice thought, often mooted, but how can you be sure of that. :dunno:

Perhaps City have played the best they are capable of and we are simply lacking 3 or 4 better players to improve the quality of our football.

I'm not convinced the current 16 are capable of scaling much greater heights.

Well said my friend but stand by to get insulted as I often do - not that I worry !

You will get " it is all Tinman's fault "

who is blaming tinnion?

plus " GJ got us from the bottom to the top " - never mind he presided over a record breaking losing run !

short term losing run for long term gain

plus " he has got rid of the drinkers and play boys "

is that a bad thing?

plus " all his signings are great "

pretty much they have been

plus " his son is our best midfield player "

yep

and so on.............

End of this season we will be lucky to have done as well as Wilson did but do the posters really care - wait for the replies and judge for yourself !

sorry, but if you are trying to have a pop at Johnson or people on here your doing quite a bad job at it?

looking at the replies all seem to be very fair,

and if end this season (his 1st full season) his gets us to the play-offs it will be better than wilson did in the same timescale?

you seem to constantly moan, but never have any advice or recommendations?........I pressume your very old

We are fourth in the league and have yet to play our best football. Compared to his predecessors Johnson has been outstanding.

And yet to play our best football? How do you know? Have you a cystal ball, this could be as good as it gets under GJ.

Lets stick to the facts. We are 4th in the leauge with a lot of teams close behind, we are playing not very attractive football and boring the pants of everyone and the attendance have not been great and the atmosphere at the Gate as been like a wake.

Do you think that is outstanding? Because I don't , not compared to any manager we had.

GJ and his team have achived nothing yet, and it remains to be seen if he achives anything in the future.

And yet to play our best football? How do you know? Have you a cystal ball, this could be as good as it gets under GJ.

Lets stick to the facts. We are 4th in the leauge with a lot of teams close behind, we are playing not very attractive football and boring the pants of everyone and the attendance have not been great and the atmosphere at the Gate as been like a wake.

Do you think that is outstanding? Because I don't , not compared to any manager we had.

GJ and his team have achived nothing yet, and it remains to be seen if he achives anything in the future.

How do I know? We played some very attractive football last season and almost every player is still around. Why should we not be able to play the same football this season? It's all about hitting form. In January I expect us to get a central midfielder that can run the park, a left wing midfielder and a Steve Brooker in form. When that happens you will se how far after us the others are - even without a cystal ball. Johnsons results so far has been outstanding. Don't worry - be happy.

Its all if and buts. And Johnson results have not been outstanding, good yes but not outstanding.

when was the last time we ACTUALLY played Outstanding football and where did we finish?

Johnson's results haven't not outstanding, but they have been good enough to get us to 4th, since he has been here, we have gradually got better and better, no reason at the moment for that not to continue judging on his time at the club so far

you seem quite happy to moan, but have no mention of what you would actually like to see..........just one of those who moan no matter what I guess

I agree, we're too high up the league for the type of football we're playing.

Boo mr johnson. Boo.

:doh:

I agree, we're too high up the league for the type of football we're playing.

You may be right, and we won't be for much longer if we don't improve.

City are almost never convincing, clubs below us are winning regularly and with style.

Reason dictates these clubs will shortly overtake us if we continue as we are. :(

I've been behind GJ from the start, but i expected his City team to produce alot more excitement, goals and entertainment than this. :city:

Time will tell. No one is pleased with the last few games.

COME ON YOU REDS!!

We're waiting for a wallopping 4 or 5 nil annihilation. :pray:

Then perhaps the fans and the players will start to believe this City side really has got promotion in it. :chant6ez:

Time will tell. No one is pleased with the last few games.

COME ON YOU REDS!!

And rather than repeat that post, just like to add lets hope it's tomorrow.

A windswept, muddy game, tackles flying in all over the place and hat tricks for Brooker and Enoch.

:chant6ez: COME ON YOU REDS :chant6ez::city:

Might well come tomorrow. Surely we deserve it!

We do indeed. We City fans epitomise "long suffering". :blink:

Seem to remember a game against Cambridge a few years back at this time of year when we whacked 6 in.

Tinman volleyed free kick to top it off. :clapping:

Is 7 or 8 tomorrow too much to ask for. :dunno::innocent06:

Archived