IGNORED

Brooker Is Back

no_merde

Brooker has had a stormer of a game today, leading the game and team like a true captain, and looking literally a league above his team mates (lets not hope it was for the benefit of the Birmingham scout I saw there today).

But again City refused to turn up until the last 30 minutes of the match - what is going on here? Can anyone who has more football experience than me please explain what this is a symptom of? I have tried to research this and have even resorted to googling it, but to no avail.

In the last three games they haven't turned up until the last 30 minutes - should City kick off 60 minutes before the other team in future? :w00t:

Proud of our lads, was expecting a heavy defeat with all the changes and especially when Goodlad went off with what sounded like a serious injury.

With the way we've been performing of late there's no way you should of expected a heavy defeat.

Our front men are having a pretty lean spell and we're hardly scoring for fun, if I were you I be pretty disappointed not to have come away with a point, seeing as you scored first.

Proud of our lads, was expecting a heavy defeat with all the changes and especially when Goodlad went off with what sounded like a serious injury.

Sorry, you were poor today and the scoreline flattered you. Great free kick but that was about it. I hope the keeper's ok, it looked suspiciously like a cruciate ligament to me I'm afraid. He slipped unchallenged and he knew he was crocked immediately.

As for the original post - I disagree that we only turned up for the last 30 minutes, I don't see how you can say that. We had 4 clear cut chances to score in the first half and another 6 or 7 in the second, we just couldn't seem to find the net. We played well all over the pitch (with the possible exception of JMW who looked very nervous and tentative), we hogged the possession and created lots. I do agree about Brooker though, he was back to his best today and it was clear what a difference he can be - I hope he has another game like that in him for Monday.

Brooker has had a stormer of a game today, leading the game and team like a true captain, and looking literally a league above his team mates (lets not hope it was for the benefit of the Birmingham scout I saw there today).

But again City refused to turn up until the last 30 minutes of the match - what is going on here? Can anyone who has more football experience than me please explain what this is a symptom of? I have tried to research this and have even resorted to googling it, but to no avail.

In the last three games they haven't turned up until the last 30 minutes - should City kick off 60 minutes before the other team in future? :w00t:

I see you posted at 8 mins to 5, were you at the game? If so you obviously had your eyes closed and headphones on.

Sorry, you were poor today and the scoreline flattered you. Great free kick but that was about it. I hope the keeper's ok, it looked suspiciously like a cruciate ligament to me I'm afraid. He slipped unchallenged and he knew he was crocked immediately.

As for the original post - I disagree that we only turned up for the last 30 minutes, I don't see how you can say that. We had 4 clear cut chances to score in the first half and another 6 or 7 in the second, we just couldn't seem to find the net. We played well all over the pitch (with the possible exception of JMW who looked very nervous and tentative), we hogged the possession and created lots. I do agree about Brooker though, he was back to his best today and it was clear what a difference he can be - I hope he has another game like that in him for Monday.

Agree with most of that. Think that in the last 2 games we have been unlucky inside the box, with few balls breaking for us (so to speak).

I still don't think Brooker is back to his best by any means mind, although he is improving which is encouraging.

Thought Murray had another great game today, always running, even when some of his teammates a good deal younger than him were flagging. It was not the greatest of conditions to play on today but we battled hard and deserved to nick it in the end. Vale offered very little overall.

JMW was very frustrating as ever. A great step over and shot in the 1st half and some decent runs, but never seems to look up when running - he could have played in a free Murray a couple of times towards the end.

By the way, the 1st post on this thread was at 4.52. I didn't think the game finished until several minutes after that!!!

Brooker did have a very good game today, his link up play was excellent and he scored a fine goal.

However, he could have scored 4 goals in the first half and certainly should have netted 2 of them.

Missing the target completely from that free header was almost unbelievable and can hardly be put down to lack of sharpness as he was in perfect position to score and connected squarely.

The worrying thing is that Brooker, even nearing his best, is not a prolific goalscorer.

Good game from Brooker but first and foremost we need our main striker to find the net with a far greater percentage of his chances than that.

Jevons would have been pilloried for such profligacy, and with some justification.

Brooker did have a very good game today, his link up play was excellent and he scored a fine goal.

However, he could have scored 4 goals in the first half and certainly should have netted 2 of them.

Missing the target completely from that free header was almost unbelievable and can hardly be put down to lack of sharpness as he was in perfect position to score and connected squarely.

The worrying thing is that Brooker, even nearing his best, is not a prolific goalscorer.

Good game from Brooker but first and foremost we need our main striker to find the net with a far greater percentage of his chances than that.

Jevons would have been pilloried for such profligacy, and with some justification.

Yep - need someone to put the chances away - no one doing that at present is worrying !

If you really think we didn't play until the last half hour what you really needed was glasses.

Just to clarify, I have no intention of knocking the team. I think they've played well over the past couple of weeks and GJ doing a good job in my eyes. In fact, it was only the other week I was sticking up for LJ when everyone was calling for his head.

All I was trying to point out was that in my opinion the game (and therefore the teams playing it - that includes City) was quite flat in the first half. Using the previous two games as context I drew an honest opinion that the team is struggling to get going in the first 60 minutes of a match compared to what they're like in the last 30 minutes

###### me you lot are hard work!

Disagree.

Him and Enoch playing together will get us enough goals.

Brooks has about a 1 in 3 record for us, not that bad.

No, Brooker is far from being a prolific goalscorer.

1 in 3, as you put it, is about 15 League goals a season if he was fit to play in all the games.

That's nowhere near enough to be described as prolific, especially with the number of good chances that go begging with this team.

Generally, I can't agree that Brooker is back to his best.

He worked hard yesterday and led the line well, but his control was schoolboy-ish at times and was the reason he didn't score more.

I put it down to him regaining match fitness and pace. He needs more games to improve his match sharpness.

Murray, on the other hand, had a rare excellent performance and the ball stuck like glue to his feet. Worked his socks off, scored a cracking goal and deserved MoM.

Just to clarify, I have no intention of knocking the team. I think they've played well over the past couple of weeks and GJ doing a good job in my eyes. In fact, it was only the other week I was sticking up for LJ when everyone was calling for his head.

All I was trying to point out was that in my opinion the game (and therefore the teams playing it - that includes City) was quite flat in the first half. Using the previous two games as context I drew an honest opinion that the team is struggling to get going in the first 60 minutes of a match compared to what they're like in the last 30 minutes

I disagree.

City created lots of chances, far from being flat. Brooker himself missed three good chances first half. How the hell he missed that header i'll never know, right idea though, and he made amends with a good strike & creating Murrays goal with Showumni.

Good performances from him, Murray, Showumni, McCombe, Carey, McAllister and Lee Johnson IMO and everybody else had no worse than average games.

Whilst it wasnt a perfect performance, it was much improved from the last two.

Bring on the Orient.

Also - a note for Clayton Fortune, who whilst not looking fantastic, i didnt think looked hugely bad either. Didnt even notice Hulbert was playing though.

didn't think the weather helped yesterday especially in the first half where both teams were poor, you just couldn't pass it on the floor and too be fair if we had taken our chances Brooker especially, then we could have been a couple up at half time,

as I said though, pitch didn't help matters at all......damn rain

Must admit I thought City played well AS A TEAM yesterday throughout, not just in the last 30 mins. Certainly no lack of commitment and plenty of fighting spirit. Brooker did extremely well despite match practice and there is clearly more to come. Murray looked dangerous and Carey and other defenders looked assured enough, certainly restricted chances in appalling conditions.

All round a good TEAM performance and we will need more of the same against Orient who have been doing alright recently and looked OK on the Championship this morning.

We should persevere with JMW, he justs needs a bit more direction, great to see him running at speed into the box and he should be encouraged to do that more.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

###### me you lot are hard work!

The last two games had nothing to do with what was in your original post - you said we didn't turn up until 30 minutes from the end and considering we could well have gone in 4-0 up at half time I disagree.

Brooker's missed header.

JMW's stepover and shot that was saved well.

Ball dropped to McCombe pretty much on the goal line from a corner and still not going in.

Near post header from another corner that was inches away.

Those were just the clear cut chances, there were another 5 or 6 reasonable ones in the first half alone, and I think you could count the number of times Vale got into our box on the fingers of one hand of an arctic explorer - so I can't see that the performance was in any way flat in this particular game. We were always going to score, Vale just got a set piece goal against the run of play first.

Archived