IGNORED

Chickens Home To Roost

RedUn

All season long our attack has needed too many chances for each goal they score compared to what might reasonably be expected of a auto-promotion outfit.

It has cost us important points though not as many as it otherwise might because our defence has been exceptionally good at blunting opposition attacks (since McCombe got in the side).

The Xmas/New Year period has seen the defending slip from its high standards and exposed our attacking short-comings; we had more than enough chances to win all four games but didn't score first in any of them and so dropped 6pts; comebacks speak volumes for good team spirit but ...

... in view of the flakey fitness records of Brooks & Enoch ...

... we desperately need someone who'll have the same quality effect in opposition penalty boxes as McCombe has had in our own.

All season long our attack has needed too many chances for each goal they score compared to what might reasonably be expected of a auto-promotion outfit.

It has cost us important points though not as many as it otherwise might because our defence has been exceptionally good at blunting opposition attacks (since McCombe got in the side).

The Xmas/New Year period has seen the defending slip from its high standards and exposed our attacking short-comings; we had more than enough chances to win all four games but didn't score first in any of them and so dropped 6pts; comebacks speak volumes for good team spirit but ...

... we desperately need someone who'll have the same quality effect in opposition penalty boxes as McCombe has had in our own.

YEP !!

Careful now, the happies will be out to get you.

As it goes that is exactly what i've been saying, and you forget the powderpuff midfield which fails and allows the defence to be exposed so efficiently.

and we'd survive in the championship with this team.. :shocking: :noexpression:

They'd better be quick then ... it's back to work tomorrow and no time for their banter.

As it goes that is exactly what i've been saying, and you forget the powderpuff midfield which fails and allows the defence to be exposed so efficiently.

Errrmm, no one is forgotten because all players contribute to both the attacking and defensive duties (or at least they should).

They'd better be quick then ... it's back to work tomorrow and no time for their banter.

Thats when they'll appear......... :shocking:

Errrmm, no one is forgotten because all players contribute to both the attacking and defensive duties (or at least they should).

Obviously somebody still keeps forgetting, or is it the cunning plan? :whistle2:

that basically sums things up perfectly. quality post :clapping:

we have a good squad but just need two maybe three quality additions in obvious areas and we will p1$$ it. we have an amazing defence, but we cant rely on them to keep clean sheets every week, we need a proven goalscorer who will average 6 or so goals for every ten games they play. credit to GJ for the signings of the two mac's. jamie mac is the best left back i have ever seen at the gate, certainly defensively. louis is louis and is so reliable its untrue, and in orr and keogh right back is very strong.

SL needs to spend now and we will be clear leaders by march. a striker is my priority, jevo has dissapointed me, i knew he wouldnt be an all round player, but expected him to score regularly but in the league especially it hasnt worked out, also i suspect he may have a rep with refs for diving because he gets no decisions going his way. big enoch i rate, but he isnt an out and out scorer although he has weighed in with his fair share. and SB seems plauged with injuries. then we need a left winger but the centre midfield as i think LG and CS could form an effective partnership if given a run of games as i feel they could compliment each other well, with skuse being that tackling midfielder..

RedUn's post represents excellent comment that even the happiest of the happies will have difficulty arguing with. :shifty:

"we desperately need someone who'll have the same quality effect in opposition penalty boxes as McCombe has had in our own."

......indeed, a striker of the same calibre as our very own McCombe in defence will cost big money. Is the Chairman up for paying for this quality striker and is Gary Johnson up for finding this quality striker in time? :unsure:

RedUn's post represents excellent comment that even the happiest of the happies will have difficulty arguing with. :shifty:

"we desperately need someone who'll have the same quality effect in opposition penalty boxes as McCombe has had in our own."

......indeed, a striker of the same calibre as our very own McCombe in defence will cost big money. Is the Chairman up for paying for this quality striker and is Gary Johnson up for finding this quality striker in time? :unsure:

I don't think anybody has argued with this GJ has said that another attacking midfielder particularly on the left is required and made a bid for Holt which confirms his thinking on the striking situation. The only remaining arguments are: -

1. Do you bring someone just for the sake of it?
  2. Do you pay through the nose now for someone, rather than wait until the summer and pick up Bosmans etc?
There are good arguments both ways, we could still get promotion with what we have, but we would feel aggrieved if further injuries screwed us in March/April.

I think IF (those 2 powerful letters again!)the right player(s) become available the board need to stump up the cash now especially if we go further in the cup competitions.

But you have also to remember that every player we bring in, reduces the chance of us seeing those academy players that everyone raves about, getting a chance to prove their worth.

I don't think anybody has argued with this GJ has said that another attacking midfielder particularly on the left is required and made a bid for Holt which confirms his thinking on the striking situation. The only remaining arguments are: -
  1. Do you bring someone just for the sake of it?
  2. Do you pay through the nose now for someone, rather than wait until the summer and pick up Bosmans etc?
There are good arguments both ways, we could still get promotion with what we have, but we would feel aggrieved if further injuries screwed us in March/April.

I think IF (those 2 powerful letters again!)the right player(s) become available the board need to stump up the cash now especially if we go further in the cup competitions.

But you have also to remember that every player we bring in, reduces the chance of us seeing those academy players that everyone raves about, getting a chance to prove their worth.

Very good points however please consider that the top Academy Players will be sold in any event, if we remain in League One, although, I would agree that we should never sign any player for the sake of it and if improvements on what we have are not available at affordable cost, then we've got a problem insofar as Auto Prom is the goal.

If we wait until the summer, who's to say the players will join us if we're still in this division.......or indeed, we will be able to retain our better players?

It's tricky, but I think we should have the players we want clearly targeted, with some fall back options if we're knocked back.GJ seemed to be eluding to the fact that players should be here (providing deals could be done) around the time of the Tranmere home game or certainly Oldham away.

The dilemna the club faces is that attracting the quality of player not only capable of making an immeadiate impact short term in this division but also able to perform in the championship means real money.A striker of the championship 15+ league goal level has a weekly salary expectation of 5k essentially nearly three-fold that of the economics G.J.& S.L.have become accustomed to in recent times.

The financial budget virtually doubles should we gain championship status,yet a couple of real pedigree players and their likely packages brought in now may be a bridge too far should we not get promoted.

The dilemna the club faces is that attracting the quality of player not only capable of making an immeadiate impact short term in this division but also able to perform in the championship means real money.A striker of the championship 15+ league goal level has a weekly salary expectation of 5k essentially nearly three-fold that of the economics G.J.& S.L.have become accustomed to in recent times.

The financial budget virtually doubles should we gain championship status,yet a couple of real pedigree players and their likely packages brought in now may be a bridge too far should we not get promoted.

Understand that but sometimes you have to actually take a gamble if you are to actually move forward or we forever go around in circles. :dunno:

This transfer window could be the defining moment in City's season and the following few seasons. Either on loan or permanently we need three players who are capable of making an immediate impact on the side. A left winger is an absolute priority. Myrie-Williams is simply too raw for 1st team football. He turns his back on tackles, has no positional sense and there's no end product at all. These things can be coached into his game but he is a player for the future and not for now. We also need an anchor in midfield. The combination of Russell and Johnson against Port Vale didn't win a tackle all match, and Skuse didn't look much better against Orient. We also need pace in attack. If Brooker was fit we'd probably be ok but Showunmi and Jevons up front is about as mobile as a front two of Mick Quinn and Raymond Van Barneveld.

Did we not take a gamble with Stewart and Bridges?

We did and lost out miserably; not all gambles lose though, its better to do something rather than nothing at all.

Archived