IGNORED

Midfield

leader

johnson our midfield today bypassed every time , noble should be in , choose the one to go or 2 to go mabey,to small. lightweight.don't get stuck in we blow it no ifs or buts 3..1 up and then gj says I'm proud of the boys if it was my team id be bollocking them sorry rant over :englandsmile4wf:

johnson our midfield today bypassed every time , noble should be in , choose the one to go or 2 to go mabey,to small. lightweight.don't get stuck in we blow it no ifs or buts 3..1 up and then gj says I'm proud of the boys if it was my team id be bollocking them sorry rant over :englandsmile4wf:

He must have a problem with Noble, as i thought he was our best midfielder at the club.

With all due respect to Johnson jnr and Russell, their both to small to boss any midfield, skillfull or not.

Remember the days of G Gow, tough as you like, got stuck in but skillfull with it

is that Nobes the tough tackling midfielder?? :noexpression:

He must have a problem with Noble, as i thought he was our best midfielder at the club.

With all due respect to Johnson jnr and Russell, their both to small to boss any midfield, skillfull or not.

Remember the days of G Gow, tough as you like, got stuck in but skillfull with it

Johnson's size was never a problem at Yeovil. He partnered the equally sized Darren Way to make a formidable pairing even though both of them looked like Hobbits when they took up front and back post positions to defend a corner. In open play they bossed the midfield most definitely. Darren was always the terrier who would get stuck into any situation he could to win the ball and LJ was the playmaker who looked after distribution of the ball to the wings or to make a clever forward pass to open up the defence. Possibly what Lee is missing is a parter in midfield at BCFC who complements his style of play?

Don't be too hard on him- give him lots of support and encouragement and he'll deliver for you.

to get promotion we keep talking about a striker and left side midfielder but for me it is the centre of the midfield that is the problem. I am not ranting at Lee or Alex here but they are simply out muscled - despite their skills our centre midfield gets walked over on many occasions - I like Noble but never saw him as a tough tackler (Scott Brown could do it) and I am still not sure about Skuse (but one thing for sure he is better in the centre than stuck out on the left) but for me a quality tough Centre Midfielder with a some gravitas is what we need

Completely agree that our midfield is far, far too lightweight, and small.

The first goal yesterday was down to Lee Johnson losing a header, where the player was about 2 foot above him, not a moan just a fact.

We need a midfield destroyer, in the Gerry Gow mould, to complement our "ball players".

I said a while back that my ideal signing would have been ex Cardiff, now at Sunderland Kavanagh. (Out for 10 weeks with knee injury at the moment)

It's that kind of anchor we need, to put the fear of God into the opposition.

I was wondering if it'd be worth experimenting with big Enoch in the centre of midfield, and trying to turn him into our Viera !

He was certainly getting stuck in yesterday at the start of the second half, until he copped an unfortunate one straight in the Jacobs !

He could add bite, and height, and is versatile enough, although I think he's going to have to work on his stamina to play there, but I reckon it'd well worth a shot ?

The only other worry, was Jamie McCombe seemed to be caught out for two of the goals, not picking up, although he's a great addition, but a worry if he's good enough to play at a higher level, but there's hope he can learn.

Mind you I think we need about 6 new players to stand a chance of survival at Championship level, as we found out yesterday, against it has to be said, a dispirited Coventry side, well down on confidence.

It just stands out a mile, the difference between the leagues, nearly man for man they seemed harder and faster, and had something about them, to cause concern every time they broke.

Still all in all, it was a good yard stick to see how far we've come, and how far we've still to go.

Come on me babbies !

to get promotion we keep talking about a striker and left side midfielder but for me it is the centre of the midfield that is the problem. I am not ranting at Lee or Alex here but they are simply out muscled - despite and their skills our centre midfield gets walked over on many occasions - I like Noble but never saw him as a tough tackler (Scott Brown could do it) and I am still not sure about Skuse (but one thing for sure he is better in the centre than stuck out on the left) but for me a quality tough Centre Midfielder with a some gravitas is what we need

Quote GJ early November.

Artus is very close to selection

From the squad, Artus is the best midfielder on display on the training field. From Academy posters and parents, Artus is the best midfielder, and that was playing in front of Wilson and Partridge.

Politics and wages for other players........... Artus cant get his chance, 18 is no problem, Cotterill was 16 when he started, and established at 18, and most of the above mentioned say Artus is the best they have seen.

Tough tackling, precision passing and goal scoring, why should we be looking to buy someone. Give him his chance .

Johnson's size was never a problem at Yeovil. He partnered the equally sized Darren Way to make a formidable pairing even though both of them looked like Hobbits when they took up front and back post positions to defend a corner. In open play they bossed the midfield most definitely. Darren was always the terrier who would get stuck into any situation he could to win the ball and LJ was the playmaker who looked after distribution of the ball to the wings or to make a clever forward pass to open up the defence. Possibly what Lee is missing is a parter in midfield at BCFC who complements his style of play?

Don't be too hard on him- give him lots of support and encouragement and he'll deliver for you.

Having seen Yo Yo myself in the GJ era I'd say that was a pretty accurate assessment.

For me the best combination-given the way we play, is for two "holding" midfielders-Noble & Skuse, and an attacking front four.

That's what worked in our very good run at the end of last season.

Our best back four, as has been proven in our last five games is:

KEOGH-CAREY-MCCOMBE-MCALLISTER

That's the best unit and doesn't reflect badly on the players who miss out as individuals.It also reflects current form, although McAllster hasn't been on top form lately and may have to be moved forward one to help out on the left side of midfield if we want to be more balanced and solid, particularly away.

Id actually say that despite having a decent game, Enoch was at fault throughout the game for letting his man just play a 1-2 and leaving him.

Rarely tracked back in the first half leaving the midfield/defense outnumbered.

Hence their first goal when McCallister was done.

Completely agree that our midfield is far, far too lightweight, and small.

Agreed

The first goal yesterday was down to Lee Johnson losing a header, where the player was about 2 foot above him, not a moan just a fact.

The fact is that Cameron made a thirty five yard run into our box and nobody tracked him.

We need a midfield destroyer, in the Gerry Gow mould, to complement our "ball players".

I would say that we need a passer and creator plus Skuse

I said a while back that my ideal signing would have been ex Cardiff, now at Sunderland Kavanagh. (Out for 10 weeks with knee injury at the moment)

It's that kind of anchor we need, to put the fear of God into the opposition.

I'd like Michael Ballack and we've as much chance as signing him as Kav when clubs like Sundld are in for him.

I was wondering if it'd be worth experimenting with big Enoch in the centre of midfield, and trying to turn him into our Viera !

God no!! Tackles like a girl at times.Why not experiment with Scott Brown or Artus.

He was certainly getting stuck in yesterday at the start of the second half, until he copped an unfortunate one straight in the Jacobs !

As I thought and GJ confirmed in his interview that I watched on World this morning, he's been "adjusted" a half time.

He could add bite, and height, and is versatile enough, although I think he's going to have to work on his stamina to play there, but I reckon it'd well worth a shot ?

No way-Sorry mate he's best off up front with Brooker

The only other worry, was Jamie McCombe seemed to be caught out for two of the goals, not picking up, although he's a great addition, but a worry if he's good enough to play at a higher level, but there's hope he can learn.

He's a good Div 3 Centre Back and I share your doubts about stepping up.

Mind you I think we need about 6 new players to stand a chance of survival at Championship level, as we found out yesterday, against it has to be said, a dispirited Coventry side, well down on confidence.

You could be right and we need 2/3 to get out of this division.

It just stands out a mile, the difference between the leagues, nearly man for man they seemed harder and faster, and had something about them, to cause concern every time they broke.

Spot on so what must the top six be like?

I felt that Russell was less effective than Johnson there. But I agree our midfield looked too lightweight.

I like Noble but never saw him as a tough tackler (Scott Brown could do it) and I am still not sure about Skuse (but one thing for sure he is better in the centre than stuck out on the left) but for me a quality tough Centre Midfielder with a some gravitas is what we need

Agree Noble's not the tacking midfielder we need, and most matches I come out wishing we still had Tomy D in his prime (sory, only been a City fan since 1990 so Gow's over my head).

But I thought skuse made a big difference to our midfield yesterday, and while I feel we should start with Johnson, towards he end we maybe could have done with Noble coming on as he tired.

One thought about Skuse - is he playing less because of his age, ie Johnson doesn't want him to tire out and go through a confidence-sapping run of form again? I still maintain that a couple of years ago, he looked an excellent prospect, and he still could be much better than Doherty ever was.

Id actually say that despite having a decent game, Enoch was at fault throughout the game for letting his man just play a 1-2 and leaving him.

Rarely tracked back in the first half leaving the midfield/defense outnumbered.

Hence their first goal when McCallister was done.

I agree - Enoch let his man go too easily on a number of occasions. Jennison is learning not to do this. Some work needs to be done with Enoch to rectify the situation if he is going to play on the left.

I thought our central midfield had its best performance at home for several weeks. Russell's distribution was much better. Both he and Johnson made numerous tackles, and Johnson's energy for the whole 90 minutes is absolutely remarkable. Having said that, Skuse looked magnificent when he came on and I would start with him every week. He complements Johnson well, I believe.

to get promotion we keep talking about a striker and left side midfielder but for me it is the centre of the midfield that is the problem. I am not ranting at Lee or Alex here but they are simply out muscled - despite their skills our centre midfield gets walked over on many occasions - I like Noble but never saw him as a tough tackler (Scott Brown could do it) and I am still not sure about Skuse (but one thing for sure he is better in the centre than stuck out on the left) but for me a quality tough Centre Midfielder with a some gravitas is what we need

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Saved me posting , my feelings exactly

Id like to see Noble and Brown..

Simply because that got us plenty of away wins last season and a decent run towards the end.

Hope he experiments tomorow night.

good shout although keogh could do a job there as he can tackle,

got height and he goes on some runs with the ball through the middle.

So that'll be in the Conference and 4th division will it? Division 3 and hopefully 2 is a different proposition!

Guest SarahB
Where was he yesterday??

Sat in the williams with his girlfriend. Bit weird that he wasan't in the squad i certainly didn't hear that he was an injury doubt. Perhaps he is on his way in the January transfer window :whistle:

Sat in the williams with his girlfriend. Bit weird that he wasan't in the squad i certainly didn't hear that he was an injury doubt. Perhaps he is on his way in the January transfer window :whistle:

Johnson made some comment last week about him not being involved again until he was ready mentally and physically. I got the impression he was implying that the near miss broken leg shook him up a bit but it wasn't clear.

we must stop moaning about noble not being included, johnson is a good player and i wish fans wouldnt get on his back jst because of who he is but he knows I'm sure that hell get stick for that wotever club it is, if his father is the manager. Noble deserves another chance i agree, but his inclusion will not transform our MF as some will think. him and johnson are of pretty similiar ability and similar types of players.

Archived