IGNORED

donaldson

You Know I Am Right

In our FA Cup Tie at York, admittedly in attrocious conditions, he didn't offer anything and having been released by a league club I think he has found his level, don't think he could go more than one level up at most.

i totally disagree. yes, at york he was poor but that was not the norm.

i've seen him play several times over the last two seasons and on the strength of his performances i think he easily has enough to trouble defences at league one level.

he is strong and with does not lack skill, and he has a great knack of creating space for himself within the oppositions box. he can be a bit selfish when he gets near the goal, but with the run of form he is on you can't fault him really. he reminds me of McLeod at MKDons, a player which many on here would love to see in city shirt.

granted he might need time to settle at a higher level, but his is young and this is to be expected. plus how often have us city fans bemoned our inablilty to pluck raw talent from the lower or non league and take a chance?

i'd be delighted if we managed to get Donaldson, or his former York team mate Andy Bishop who is now at Bury. both are the kind of young, ambitious and dynamic forward we need to revitalise our front line IMHO.

I would bow to your greater experience of watching the lad, however, have we not already got a player who is scoring goals and getting good reviews in the same league who is some way from selection for us?

very true. i was under the impression young master Benyon had left on less than positive terms and might not be back, but hopefully this is wrong.

i do still think donaldson would be a great buy though, certainly if it was for the £150-175K reported. he'd be an investment, because can see whoever takes a punt on him now getting either a top player for the future or be able to flog him for a significant amount once he has matured as a player in 18 months to 2 years.

with all due respect to posh and scunny, I'm sure we could use the size/ ambition of the club to persuade him to join us.

also 150k must be in our price range as we were willing to pay 250k for hayter

hmmm £250k for a proven quality League 1 player or £150k for an unproven youngster with MAYBE some potential.

Tis a no brainer to me.

wonder whther southend fans thought that when signing eastwood? or when boro picked up malcolm christie? or dare i say it gas fans when they picked up barry hayles?

if you look at the talent that has made the step up to a higher level just this year from the confrence (in which york are near the top of) i think its not as big a jump as we sometimes think.

Michael Kightly (grays to wolves) Aaron McLean (grays to peterborough) and Tresor Kandol (barnet to leeds) and others have shown that talent is talent, and some showed alot less obvious potetnial before making the step up.

plus just look at how well recently promoted teams have done in our division (swansea, s****horpe, yeovil and carlisle) and personally i don't think the in quality gap between the two (and by reason the non league) is that huge.

if you look at the talent that has made the step up to a higher level just this year from the confrence (in which york are near the top of) i think its not as big a jump as we sometimes think.

Michael Kightly (grays to wolves) Aaron McLean (grays to peterborough) and Tresor Kandol (barnet to leeds) and others have shown that talent is talent, and some showed alot less obvious potetnial before making the step up.

plus just look at how well recently promoted teams have done in our division (swansea, s****horpe, yeovil and carlisle) and personally i don't think the in quality gap between the two (and by reason the non league) is that huge.

Very good point and the examples you give are spot on, also think about Roberts @ Ipswich, newly arrived in the league with Accrington, and a few months later 3.5 yr deal @ the Tractor Boys and very effective in the championship. Donaldson is the right age, worth a punt before we miss the boat.

Archived