IGNORED

Beckham to LA Galaxy

The Batman

I think the main reason behind his decision is the fact that he no longer has a future with the England side. I'm pretty sure if McClaren had made it clear he did have a future then he would of stayed and played somewhere in Europe.

I say good luck to him, not like he needed the money but a deal of that amount is very hard to turn down. Also given that according to the BBC: "Galaxy's owner, sports conglomerate Anschutz Entertainment Group, has a close relationship with Beckham.

His academy shares a home with the Galaxy just outside LA at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center in Carson, California."

It makes perfect sense really!

Guest MaloneFM

Good for him, his skinny wife and his chavvy kids.

Good for Mc Claren for getting rid. He was over rated.

Good for me as well. Funniest poster 2 years in a row! Back of the net!

Money grabbing barstool.

If he claims to love football as much as he says he does, he'd go back to the premiership, earn less cash and play decent football. But no, go to America with more money and to get more famous.

Damn it annoys me so much.

Why? I'd rather join Los Angeles Galaxy than Bolton Wanderers.

David Beckham does claim to love football... But to love your football one much enjoy where he works... Beckham loved playing for Manchester United and loved playing for Real Madrid... Why does he have to join Bolton, Tottenham or Newcastle if he doesn't want to?

The MLS gets a bad press... It's true that the MLS is probably the same level as The Championship (possibly lower Premiership) but the MLS and it's players are on the whole, model professionals - unlike what we see in the Prem... It's a myth that's it's full of 36 year old has beens from Europe... That's not at all the case, some do go there but still find it difficult.

David Beckham has soccer schools in Los Angeles and long before he lost his England place he maintained that it was his desire to play in the MLS. If he didn't go to the U.S. he would have retired aged 31 and we'd have all said it was a shame because he has 2 or 3 seasons left in him.

It's quite clear that Beckham will never play for England again and he's probably realised this now - which is a shame as he's still one of our best players... let's not kid ourselves, he is.

After years of admiration, Beckham has been dumped by a largely ungratful nation - I wouldn't want to come back here either.

I say good luck to him and let's see if his arrival will spark a soccer renaissance that will last the euphoria that was the soccer craze in the US during the 1970's.

it shows playing for England meant nothing to him as much as what he said.Because if he really wanted to play again for England he would of come to the prem where SM would of seen him play nearly every week and fight for it.instead he has decided to give up and go and lay on a sunny beach all day and play SCOCCER once a week.

Money grabbing barstool.

If he claims to love football as much as he says he does, he'd go back to the premiership, earn less cash and play decent football. But no, go to America with more money and to get more famous.

Damn it annoys me so much.

ha ha, mate, he is going to be earning £492,000 a WEEK for the next 5 years!!! He has a chance to get more involved with his soccer schools so good luck and fair play to him I say

I have no idea what you do for a living, but lets say you earn £1500 a month......if someone offered you a job paying £5,000 a month, a job that was easier then the one you currently had, would you not take it? course you would.

it shows playing for England meant nothing to him as much as what he said.Because if he really wanted to play again for England he would of come to the prem where SM would of seen him play nearly every week and fight for it.instead he has decided to give up and go and lay on a sunny beach all day and play SCOCCER once a week.

garbage! absolute rubbish! He played over 90 times for England and is one of the few players who always wore his heart on his sleeve and gave 100%. He ran himself into the ground for the team, and although his international performances began to falter towards the end, he never gave up and you could tell by the way he played on the pitch, and the way he spoke in Press Conference he was English and proud.

McClaren is never going to pick him again. He could have ome back to Spurs or Newcastle, turned in great performances and he still would not have been picked, as McClaren is an idiot. His excuse for dropping Beckham...."looking to the future and the younger players", two months later he wants Scholes to come out of retirement....who is older then Becks!!

Rich TSG is also correct in the fact that he is constantly dumped on by this nation, both fans and the press! Why come back to all the stress when he can have the dream life in LA.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhh and hes started calling it "Soccer" already.

Mr Beckham its Football, repeat after me F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L!!!!!

Quotes from the man himself

"Soccer is growing in US and I hope to take it to another level."

"I think soccer can be a lot bigger in the US," he told ABC.

Bull. Crap. Rubbish. Wrong!!! :ranting:

I'm very sure he'd love to play for England again but under McLaren I cannot see it happening. He gave his all for England and had a great World Cup, one of the best players for us. And for what, to later be dropped by the new gaff. What a effing joke.

I'd say L.A is a good move for him and he can live the American Dream :rolleyes:

American weather in Cali earning bucks and potentially rising the US interest in 'soccer', or a lifestyle in the likes of sunnny Newcastle. Hmmmm, now theres a thought.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhh and hes started calling it "Soccer" already.

Mr Beckham its Football, repeat after me F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L!!!!!

Quotes from the man himself

"Soccer is growing in US and I hope to take it to another level."

"I think soccer can be a lot bigger in the US," he told ABC.

I think he said it like that so the Americans could understand him. If he had said,

"Football is growing in US and I hope to take it to another level."

"I think Football can be a lot bigger in the US," he told ABC.

Then they may have thought he was talking about American football and thought he was crazy.

Him saying it the way he did avoids any confusion.

Why though do they call it Soccer? Why not call it English/British Football in the same sort of way we call American football.

I think he said it like that so the Americans could understand him. If he had said,

"Football is growing in US and I hope to take it to another level."

"I think Football can be a lot bigger in the US," he told ABC.

Then they may have thought he was talking about American football and thought he was crazy.

Him saying it the way he did avoids any confusion.

Why though do they call it Soccer? Why not call it English/British Football in the same sort of way we call American football.

Soccer is short for 'association football', and i think is originally an english word. And unlike american football which is really only played in america, our football is a worldwide game, so it would be a bit unfair to call it British football.

Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) are worth quite a bit i think Artik2, the football club may not have that sort of money, but AEG get enough profit from other areas to cover this defecit.

I'd be interested to knwo how much Real Madrid have made purely off of Beckham in the time he's been there.

The potential market in the USA is huge as well.

Guest MaloneFM
Cos theyre bloody yanks thats why, and they have to have it their way.

They are also his potential audience poppet. And the pepple that will be paying for skinny Spice's next colonic irragation. Everyone has their price. If you were to be offered his money you'd call it SAACER as well.

I bloody well would and I hate the word.

ha ha, mate, he is going to be earning £492,000 a WEEK for the next 5 years!!! He has a chance to get more involved with his soccer schools so good luck and fair play to him I say

I have no idea what you do for a living, but lets say you earn £1500 a month......if someone offered you a job paying £5,000 a month, a job that was easier then the one you currently had, would you not take it? course you would.

That is true, but you have to see how these players are with regards to how they earn the money rather than play the game. If he came back to the Prem, yes he'd earn less, but he'd still be one of the top earners in the league, earning around the £100,000 a week region depending on which club he'd go to. I imagine most of the users on this forum would dream of earning £100,000 a year, let alone a week, i'd be happy with that. Just topping up the pension, because he knows he aint got it no more and his wife wants to hit America.

Archived