IGNORED

City's playing style

Tom Fleuriot

Focussing on purely this issue, and ignoring any side-questions like favouritism, "my way or the highway", "win at all costs", crowds, and whether we should be in the division.

I feel that some of the goals I've seen at City this season have been the best team goals i've ever seen.

I also feel that, especially compared to eg Blackpool at home last season, City are playing football that in patches is the best I've seen them play in 15 years of watching, matched only by Wilson's penultimate season. I've even used the word "Arsenal-esque" to describe the passing and movement.

So ignoring whether Johnson is a good manager, I see plenty of posts saying that the problem is he's too "results-oriented" and the football's quite boring.

My question is; am I the only person who thinks City are playing entertaining football right now? And if so, what one thing should I be looking out for each game that proves me wrong (I said ONE thing).

Genuinely interested in other peoples' thoughts.

Focussing on purely this issue, and ignoring any side-questions like favouritism, "my way or the highway", "win at all costs", crowds, and whether we should be in the division.

I feel that some of the goals I've seen at City this season have been the best team goals i've ever seen.

I also feel that, especially compared to eg Blackpool at home last season, City are playing football that in patches is the best I've seen them play in 15 years of watching, matched only by Wilson's penultimate season. I've even used the word "Arsenal-esque" to describe the passing and movement.

So ignoring whether Johnson is a good manager, I see plenty of posts saying that the problem is he's too "results-oriented" and the football's quite boring.

My question is; am I the only person who thinks City are playing entertaining football right now? And if so, what one thing should I be looking out for each game that proves me wrong (I said ONE thing).

Our inability to take ANY opponents by the scruff of the neck and murder 'em.

Well said and put Mr Johnson

In all honesty, if you think that our football this season and the goals we're scoring are the best you've seen, I think you are either:

1.Having a wind up-If so, well done. :fish:

2.An early contender for Happiest Posting of The Year. :clapping:

3.Not getting out enough or watching enough football/City matches.

*Please delete as appropriate.

Even the happy clappies are saying the results are good, but the football's not........Christ, even GJ said it recently :D

It's funny that we were playing far better football, yet still winning in our run at the end of last season and, in all seriousness, that's what concerns me most and it's something that nobodys argued with or been able to explain to me. :dunno:

We have no balance in the side, are like plasticine in a furnace in central midfield when being attacked, and we lack genuine pace throughout the side (esp with Skuse and JMW, our acknowledged speedsters on the bench). Results at home ok, away,not so clever. League position ok. Plenty of positives but weaknesses, esp on wet/muddy heavy pitches, may prove to be our undoing.Finally IMO, playing players out of position is a temporary salve, not a solution.

Basso, 2Mcs,Carey and Showumni make me salsa, others excite me less!!!

In all honesty, if you think that our football this season and the goals we're scoring are the best you've seen, I think you are either:

*Please delete as appropriate.

Even the happy clappies are saying the results are good, but the football's not........Christ, even GJ said it recently :D

It's funny that we were playing far better football, yet still winning in our run at the end of last season and, in all seriousness, that's what concerns me most and it's something that nobodys argued with or been able to explain to me. :dunno:

I think it must be option 1. I like the fact we are doing ok but the football has been mind numbing at times (oh, hang about - perhaps that is what has happened......

I think it must be option 1. I like the fact we are doing ok but the football has been mind numbing at times (oh, hang about - perhaps that is what has happened......

The first half v Bournemouth was pathetic, the results over the xmas period wasnt much better against poor opposition.

The Jan games against Oldham,Tranny,Scunny will show how far we`ve come and where we are going; though having said that we`ll probably get a hatfull; we are City after all.

"Results at home ok, away,not so clever. League position ok"

With regard this quote Results at home ok we have the best home record in the division and have taken 32 from 39 points.

Agree away results are not great but we are 4th in the table 3 points of top.

It appears that this division will be the tighest in years and that 4 or 5 clubs will be competing for the top 2 we are amongst the clubs in mid January.

the expectation that we should walk these leagues is beyond me, we are a third division club because that is where we have been for 7 Seasons now and promotion will be decided in the next three months, the first half of the season is the platform to ensure you are in a position to challenge, this we have achieved.

COME ON YOU REDS

Thats a great post mate, but with all due respect are you sure this isn't your First season watching the City?, I personally think it is the most drab football we have played in about 10 years, sorry.

Yes we are in a great position at the moment, but it worries me that if we don't improve the squad and get promoted we are straight back down.

Actually I think there's some truth in this.

I think the key is the style of football that GJ is trying to play. For years we have been used to City sides that play a basic 4-4-2 with an attacking right sided winger (Goodridge, Rougier, Murray) with an overlapping left back (Scott, Barnard, Brennan, Bell) providing a threat on the other flank. A big guy and a small guy in the middle, (Goater/Cramb, Peacock/Thorpe) who can feed off their crosses. What we never had, not since Gary Shelton IMHO, was a midfield player who would be looking to attack through the middle. Tinnion's instinct was always to hit the flanks, and it was very rare to see a City goal created out of a central passing move.

GJ's game is different. It's based on retaining possession, lots of passing and moving, players who feel comfortable playing in a variety of positions and switching during the game. It's also about playing the ball through the middle, both short and long, and getting strikers into attacking positions inside the box where they can either have a shot on goal or lay the ball off to runners from central midfield. There's less emphasis on getting the ball to the byline. It's been noticebale this season how often Scott Murray pops up on either flank and through the middle, instead of just hugging the touchline as he used to. This style has led to some fantastic passing moves. I can think of patches against Crewe and Coventry where the football was as good as anything I have ever seen at The Gate. and I think Baird is right when he calls them 'Arsenalesque'. What we need to do is to deliver that more consistently.

The fact is of course, for all our good intentions, we're not Arsenal, so we don't always get that aspect of the game right. Nor do we see the ball played into space behind full backs as we used to. There's nothing more thrilling than a winger in full flight, heading for the by-line with a queue in the box waiting for a cross, and this may have made the football seem less exciting than it was.

But it'll do for me. Sure there's room for improvement, but the key thing is, we are heading in the right direction. From deep scepticism at the start of the season, I have every reason to believe that whatever people might think of the syle of football we are playing , it might just be good enough to get us promoted. And that has to be the ultimate proof of whether it's working or not.

If your happy to watch games where we score after 15 seconds and then hang on for 90 mins then fair play to you. I don't mind winning every game 1-0 but would prefer to watch my team actually dictate the game rather than just hang on.

With regard this quote Results at home ok we have the best home record in the division and have taken 32 from 39 points.

Agreed home results are excellent.Style & Entertainment are not.

Agree away results are not great but we are 4th in the table 3 points of top.

But we were second and our form over Xmas very disappointing as were the results against mainly bottom of the table opposition.Away form is poor and results disappointing

It appears that this division will be the tighest in years and that 4 or 5 clubs will be competing for the top 2 we are amongst the clubs in mid January.

the expectation that we should walk these leagues is beyond me, we are a third division club because that is where we have been for 7 Seasons now and promotion will be decided in the next three months, the first half of the season is the platform to ensure you are in a position to challenge, this we have achieved.

Platform yes,but nothing is won, league wise until May.

COME ON YOU REDS

Well said

I think the key is the style of football that GJ is trying to play. For years we have been used to City sides that play a basic 4-4-2 with an attacking right sided winger (Goodridge, Rougier, Murray) with an overlapping left back (Scott, Barnard, Brennan, Bell) providing a threat on the other flank. A big guy and a small guy in the middle, (Goater/Cramb, Peacock/Thorpe) who can feed off their crosses. What we never had, not since Gary Shelton IMHO, was a midfield player who would be looking to attack through the middle. Tinnion's instinct was always to hit the flanks, and it was very rare to see a City goal created out of a central passing move.

Agreed but that changed to an extent when Tinnion wasmoved from the flanks to central midield.

GJ's game is different. It's based on retaining possession, lots of passing and moving, players who feel comfortable playing in a variety of positions and switching during the game. It's also about playing the ball through the middle, both short and long, and getting strikers into attacking positions inside the box where they can either have a shot on goal or lay the ball off to runners from central midfield. There's less emphasis on getting the ball to the byline. It's been noticebale this season how often Scott Murray pops up on either flank and through the middle, instead of just hugging the touchline as he used to. This style has led to some fantastic passing moves. I can think of patches against Crewe and Coventry where the football was as good as anything I have ever seen at The Gate. and I think Baird is right when he calls them 'Arsenalesque'. What we need to do is to deliver that more consistently.

Now this is the very interesting discussion point that I made in the reply in this posting and some earlier ones.I agreed entirely with you at the end of last season, however, watching City this season, home and away, I have to totally disagree.

I don't know if it's been caused by the departure of Cotterill,the arrival of Lee Johnson or the absence of a hold up player up front for major periods of the season, but the football under Johnson is not a patch on the football under :ermm: .....well, Johnson.

Could be Johnson 2005/2006-Johnson 2006/2007. :dunno:

I'll agree that we were entertaining against Crewe-a game we should have won by more goals but could also have lost and Coventry, where it was like watching a five-a-side game at times with both teams findementally incapable of basic defending for long period-hence a thriller and six goals.

The fact is of course, for all our good intentions, we're not Arsenal, so we don't always get that aspect of the game right. Nor do we see the ball played into space behind full backs as we used to. There's nothing more thrilling than a winger in full flight, heading for the by-line with a queue in the box waiting for a cross, and this may have made the football seem less exciting than it was.

We didn't do that at the end of last season but were still exciting and effective

But it'll do for me. Sure there's room for improvement, but the key thing is, we are heading in the right direction. From deep scepticism at the start of the season, I have every reason to believe that whatever people might think of the syle of football we are playing , it might just be good enough to get us promoted. And that has to be the ultimate proof of whether it's working or not.

Most would agree that promotion is that "ultimate proof".........well, I would

Hmmm...

sounds like people want it to be more exciting, but if it is, it's down to poor defending. Where's Alan Hansen when you need him?

Personally, I'm with the positives here. Consistency has been the problem, but at times the link up play has been excellent. Possibly not enough fast counter attacking & crosses for some people?

Results are good overall - no point in being short termist & focussing on the last few games. That's what a lot did in September when GJ said judge us at Xmas. Now we need to get back on track with a couple of wins against top teams & cross fingers for May.

I've got a season ticket this year for the first time since 1997-98, and in the interim six years I've been getting to 5 or 6 games a season (broke or a Bristol exile). Before that I went to about 10-12 games a season from 1989-90. So maybe the problem's just me still being excited about seeing so many games!

My point is about the passing and movement, and it feels that as a team the understanding is being built. I agree that our midfield gets cut through easier, and I spend most games wishing Tommy were still here. But one of the things I liked about him was his ability to tap a short pass through to someone and create space in doing so. As a team I think we're better at doing that than ever.

Hence "Arsenalesque" rather than "Chelseaesque".

Although it may be that I'm getting out too much and not watching enough football!

Archived