IGNORED

Cup run: welcome/unwelcome distraction. Discuss

wellsred

Great to see a win and a prem side come to the Gate. But is it going to distract us from the league? I say no because it'll be sizeable revenue and give us confidence for (hopefully) next season in championship.

The cup can only help. Remember 1989/90 when Joe Jordan took us up and we had a great cup run beating Chelsea at the Gate ? My memory is going a bit but I'm sure we had a good cup run and got promoted that year.

FA cup is always worth it because of the tradition, the magic and the financial rewards. I don't think it's a distraction, it's a fantastic competition and it's great to take part in it.

The JPT however should be scrapped, it's a waste of time unless you get to the final and noone gives a toss about it. OK so we might get Rovers if we beat Brighton but that's rare and the fixture list doesn't need the congestion.

We should be trying to win everthing we can, I cant wait for see Boro at the Gate, we have been unfortunate with Prem sides actually, we gave Everton a run for there money, twice i think!?

GJ is good in cup competitions, if we can get past Boro we might get a dream tie with a top Prem club...*drools* :dance:

We should be trying to win everthing we can, I cant wait for see Boro at the Gate, we have been unfortunate with Prem sides actually, we gave Everton a run for there money, twice i think!?

GJ is good in cup competitions, if we can get past Boro we might get a dream tie with a top Prem club...*drools* :dance:

I personally would not care if brighton beat us in the JPT think more of a distraction would be another 2 games in the area final with the fa cup means loads of games

I may get slated for this but last night's win means the Paint Brush Challenge Shield MUST play second fiddle now. We need to play the likes of Weale, Woodman, Artus, Noble, Myrie-Williams, Russell, Lamb, Plummer and the like from the start in that competition. If we get a £5,000 fine for not putting out 6 regulars (although a couple I have named probably come near that category) then that I am afraid is tough - we pay it. We cannot afford to pick up injuries to key personnel now that the games will be flying at us thick and fast. Brooker and Big Show have hardly avoided injury this season and we simply have to keep them fresh and fit. League and FA Cup only for them.

I know people will talk about Gas derbies and money from a Cardiff final etc. etc. but we will make a substantial sum of money anyway from this cup run with a real liklehood that we will be televised against Middlesbrough. We do not have a big enough pool of real "first team" players to try and attack on all three fronts in my opinion.

Last night was an unwanted distraction without doubt, however the prospect of a home tie against Middlesbrough really does make it worthwhile.

The JPT is a gamble, as a home tie against Rovers and a final would make more than one off FA cup matches at home. The real money is in an away tie at someone like Arsenal or Man U.

We should go into every match to win, as it is unproffesional to do otherwise.

Archived