IGNORED

What a Performance!

Super Scotty Murray

He has come up for a bit of stick for not quite living up to his billing but what a performance against higher opposition last night. He controlled the game and provided a brilliant 50 yard crossfield ball to Showunmi in the build up for the first goal and a great bit of play on the right to win the ball back and put it on a plate for Enoch to get one himself.

To be honest, I am shocked at some of the treatment Lee has been getting from some fans, jeering when he isn't substituted and cheering when he is?? Everyone I speak to about him thinks he is one of our best, if not our best player, so lets get over this whole 'he's the managers son' thing and realise he is in the team on merit.

I hope that now people will be fully behind Lee for the rest of the season and he can continue this vein of good form he is starting to get into.

Also would like to praise Jamie McCombe, who had Kevin Kyle in his back pocket forcing Adams to substitute him again!

The whole side was brilliant, even Jennison was improved, gives us the confidence we need to go to Oldham and get something from the game.

Your thoughts?

Agreed. Very solid performance all round. For me, I would single out the central defence, who won everything they were required to do, Murray and, as you rightly point out, Johnson Jr.

There was one incident in the second half when he and Murray (I think) were trying to find a way through a handful of Coventry defenders, down by the opposition corner flag. Somewhat penned in, Lee tried a cheeky lob between the two defenders, for Scott to run on to. It didn't work out, and Cov came away with the ball. Within seconds they were bearing down on our penalty area. Suddenly a boot came in out of nowhere and nicked the ball away. The boot belonged to Lee Johnson, who had tracked back 2/3 the length of the pitch to win possession back. Great attitude and commitment.

There were several other incidents when he stuck in a foot at an opportune time to break down an attack, and, as mentioned, his cross-field pass was sublime, and somewhat Tinnionesque

He has come up for a bit of stick for not quite living up to his billing but what a performance against higher opposition last night. He controlled the game and provided a brilliant 50 yard crossfield ball to Showunmi in the build up for the first goal and a great bit of play on the right to win the ball back and put it on a plate for Enoch to get one himself.

To be honest, I am shocked at some of the treatment Lee has been getting from some fans, jeering when he isn't substituted and cheering when he is?? Everyone I speak to about him thinks he is one of our best, if not our best player, so lets get over this whole 'he's the managers son' thing and realise he is in the team on merit.

I hope that now people will be fully behind Lee for the rest of the season and he can continue this vein of good form he is starting to get into.

Hang on a second.

A lot of people, me included, have commented that Johnson was no better than any other midfielder, because in our opinions, the performances merited that analysis.

But last night, I agree with you, Johnson was class. In fact I've just said as much in a reply to Bristol Boy's match report.

The only way to silence the few idiots who jeer is to put in performances like that. Lee has shown us what he is capable of now, and my expectation levels of him have risen considerably.

Hang on a second.

A lot of people, me included, have commented that Johnson was no better than any other midfielder, because in our opinions, the performances merited that analysis.

But last night, I agree with you, Johnson was class. In fact I've just said as much in a reply to Bristol Boy's match report.

The only way to silence the few idiots who jeer is to put in performances like that. Lee has shown us what he is capable of now, and my expectation levels of him have risen considerably.

Spot on. I don't think many people have doubted that Johnson has the ability to be the best midfielder at the club. However, until last night, whilst he has produced 8/10 performances for parts of matches, they have always been accompanied by 5/10 spells during significant chunks of the game. That might be okay for a striker but is not what you need from a central midfielder. That is why I have been looking for him to be replaced by the more consistent Noble who may not reach that 8/10 level as often as Johnson but rarely slips below a 7/10. If (and only if!) Johnson can maintain the level of form he showed last night for a full 90 minutes in every match then he will be more than worth his place.

Spot on. I don't think many people have doubted that Johnson has the ability to be the best midfielder at the club. However, until last night, whilst he has produced 8/10 performances for parts of matches, they have always been accompanied by 5/10 spells during significant chunks of the game. That might be okay for a striker but is not what you need from a central midfielder. That is why I have been looking for him to be replaced by the more consistent Noble who may not reach that 8/10 level as often as Johnson but rarely slips below a 7/10. If (and only if!) Johnson can maintain the level of form he showed last night for a full 90 minutes in every match then he will be more than worth his place.

i totally agree. i have not doubted johnsons ability as i saw him play at yeovil a few times, but after a cracking start to the season 5 assists in his first 10ish games he went off form but wasn't dropped, that in my opinion is what has agrieved the fans including me as we have a perfectly capable replacement in the form of noble but he seems to be getting frozen out.

But the last 5 games johnson has returned with some great displays (two goals2/3 assists) , so in the end i suppose its good management by gary keeping the faith in him and now we are getting the rewards.

Keep it up boys!!!

Lee Johnson's performance last night was superb.

But the important thing for me was the effort he put in, which he puts in week in week out.

He's the kind of player who does things that most players at this level can't do. Sure, sometimes it doesnt come off, but as last night showed when it does it changes games. If we want more entertaining football as many fans keep saying then surely Lee has to be in the team and has to have our backing.

I'm actually more interested in us winning and getting promoted than playing great football all the time. League 1 football isn't condusive to entertaining football all the time.

Let's ALL get behind the team as we did last night and do most of the time.

This could be our season!

although i can not comment on last night, the reason lee has been getting so much stick lately is because his performances have not been great (although they are rapidly improving), yet johnson senior refuses to awknowledge this by subbing him when he isnt playing well.

it goes with out saying that every city fan wants every player to give his all week in week out, but if your not playing well, everyone should be treated the same, regardless of status/ties within the club.

during his time here, johnson hasnt done to much wrong, but he mst treat all players the same, or fans will get on his/lee's back

Also would like to praise Jamie McCombe, who had Kevin Kyle in his back pocket forcing Adams to substitute him again!

The whole side was brilliant, even Jennison was improved, gives us the confidence we need to go to Oldham and get something from the game.

Your thoughts?

He proved me right last night.

A few weeks ago I said on here that he was one of the players in our team who can play at a higher level. Would be nice to hear from the people who disagreed with me.

I thought Lee Johnson was the best player on the pitch by a mile. I think he is the best midfielder at the club and I think he's only had a couple of bad games, which considering the amount he has played, isn't that bad. It's great to see Scott Murray fire on all cylinders, too, and if I can take any negatives out of the game then it's, yet again, a lacklustre performance from Phil Jevons. For the amount of time he was on the pitch, if he wasn't offside he was on his backside. Personally, with the problems that Enoch & Brooker caused the Coventry backline, I'd drop Jevons and start with those two upfront. If Jevons isn't scoring, he brings nothing to the team.

Negatives apart, a great team display with some fantastic individual performances.

I thought Lee Johnson was the best player on the pitch by a mile. I think he is the best midfielder at the club and I think he's only had a couple of bad games, which considering the amount he has played, isn't that bad. It's great to see Scott Murray fire on all cylinders, too, and if I can take any negatives out of the game then it's, yet again, a lacklustre performance from Phil Jevons. For the amount of time he was on the pitch, if he wasn't offside he was on his backside. Personally, with the problems that Enoch & Brooker caused the Coventry backline, I'd drop Jevons and start with those two upfront. If Jevons isn't scoring, he brings nothing to the team.

Negatives apart, a great team display with some fantastic individual performances.

Sorry have to disagree with the Jevons part didn't think he played too badly felt the coventry players were constantly kicking lumps out him hence the substitution, thought johnson, murray and orr had quality games last night. If had to give a negative the only one I have on that performance was the breakaway in 2nd half Williams in possesion failing to look up to see Murray in acres of space that would have sealed it for sure, little bit of inexperience that luckily didn't affect the outcome.

Have to agree with RR, thought Jevons did ok last night (for the 39mins). Held the ball up well, and worked hard. Overall i cant say enough of the players performance last night. We embarased coventry with our football and kept the ball for large stages. Coventry were poor, but a large amount of that was due to us being good!

Last night had to be his best game for us and showed what an excellent player he is. Has anyone noticed that lately he is getting forward a lot more though? I noticed it first at Orient when he seemed to be making more and more forward runs. Is this a definate change in policy from GJ? I hope so as we are playing better football - let's be fair tackling isn't LJ's best suit (although he is OK as he showed last night) but his energy, movement and passing are beginning to hurt our opponents. :city:

He's a quality player and well capable of playing in a higher division. He frustrates me because he doesn't get stuck in. Watch carefully, he was jumping out of the tackle last night before the ball fell for him to cross for the secong goal.

Overall, he's an asste to the team and will only become even better playing against better teams.

Funny how people soon change thier tune. Just shows how fickle are fans our. One minute people are slating him and the next minute he is the best midfeilder in the club. Make your mind up. Iv always said he is our best midfeilder (check previous posts) some people don't know talent when it jumps up at them. :handbags:

He proved me right last night.

A few weeks ago I said on here that he was one of the players in our team who can play at a higher level. Would be nice to hear from the people who disagreed with me.

never doubted his foward play just worry about the defensive side and i still belive he needs a hard type player next to him.

as people say he had a good game last night then fair play.

Funny how people soon change thier tune. Just shows how fickle are fans our. One minute people are slating him and the next minute he is the best midfeilder in the club. Make your mind up. Iv always said he is our best midfeilder (check previous posts) some people don't know talent when it jumps up at them. :handbags:

Not totally correct. He did lose form about 6 weeks ago when many of us (including me) were calling for him to have a rest. That is a world of difference to the people who said "Daddys Boy" "useless" etc.

I've always rated Lee J but I think a huge reason that people have had difficulty accepting him is the way Noble and Skuse have (or haven't) been used since his arrival, I suppose you should include Brown and Russell in that too. It's easy to say it's all his fault just because he's the managers son, I don't honestly believe his inclusion is down to who his parents are.

I didn't see the game at Coventry but on Saturday Skuse had his best game for a long time. I don't want to see him playing in 3 or 4 different positions in a match again. I don't think Russell will be here for much longer somehow, and Brown could be going too (hope not). Noble I haven't seen in ages.

Murray has hit some form and Wilson hopefully will be used more as a winger than a defender, would like to see him play a few more games before I can judge what he is about. All in all our midfield isn't really very settled. But as we are riding high in the table and in both cups there can't be too much wrong can there?!

We do need a tough tackling hardman to add that bit of grit. Maybe that isn't so necessary if we get promoted when players like LeeJ may get that bit more room to play football rather than kicking lumps out of eachother? But we're not quite there yet.

Sounds as if he was good against Cov, which is nice to hear but then against Tranmere he pulled out one of, if not the most innept central midfield performance i have ever seen from anyone except Carl Hutchings. Hopefully he can continue to play like it sounds as if he played on Tuesday, rather than the shower of shite that i saw on Saturday.

Guest east_dundry_red

Sorry but 1 or 2 good games don't cut it, i still think he's crap.

Apart from those 2 games what has he done 2 goals and 1 good cross thats it, he wqas poor at orient, he was very very very poor the week before that, i can remember cheering when he came off at orient he was that bad.

When he plays well for 8 out of 10 games then ill give him some credit untill then he's got ALOT of work to be done cause he's been shocking.

He's a quality player and well capable of playing in a higher division. He frustrates me because he doesn't get stuck in. Watch carefully, he was jumping out of the tackle last night before the ball fell for him to cross for the secong goal.

Overall, he's an asste to the team and will only become even better playing against better teams.

Exactly what I was saying t'other day. Its constant.

I don't think its fair for the lovers of Johnno Jr to come out and say ''Told you na na na naa na''..

Because he's been poor recently, if he maintains the level shown at Coventry then great, but if not, he wont warrant a place in the team.

Exactly what I was saying t'other day. Its constant.

I don't think its fair for the lovers of Johnno Jr to come out and say ''Told you na na na naa na''..

Because he's been poor recently, if he maintains the level shown at Coventry then great, but if not, he wont warrant a place in the team.

He has been setting up goals consistently for the past 3-4 games.

He has been setting up goals consistently for the past 3-4 games.

1 against Coventry.

0 against Tranmere.

0 against Coventry.

1 goal against Leyton Orient.

0 against Port Vale.

:sleeping:

I'm not convinced a goal assist, even at a rate of every other game is worth a place alone.

The minute we tried flicks and backheels ( Johnson (jnr) the worst culprit) we kept losing the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch and gave Coventry the chance to get into a game they didn't deserve. If this has been happening in recent weeks, then I am not surprised that we have started conceding so many goals.

To quote from another thread, pretty accurate IMO.

1 against Coventry.

0 against Tranmere.

0 against Coventry.

0 against Port Vale.

I'm not convinced a goal assist, even at a rate of every other game is worth a place alone.To quote from another thread, pretty accurate IMO.

Well, I'm afraid that sadly proves the pathetic attitude you have then.

To bring you back to reality:

- Only 8 out of 497 players in the entire premiership 0.5 assist per game rate or higher.

- Again, only one out of those 8 has played more than 6 games for his club (Cesc Fabregas - 21 games).

Clearly you are way, way out with your expectations.

Moving from on from statistics, I think that you are unfair banning praise for Lee Johnson after he has played well. It's not like he has fluked an average performance after a diabolical run of form, and then we are opening the champagne.

LJ has played well the last few games, and is putting together a run of form, so why do you try to do him down?

Well, I'm afraid that sadly proves the pathetic attitude you have then.

To bring you back to reality:

- Only 8 out of 497 players in the entire premiership 0.5 assist per game rate or higher.

- Again, only one out of those 8 has played more than 6 games for his club (Cesc Fabregas - 21 games).

Clearly you are way, way out with your expectations.

Moving from on from statistics, I think that you are unfair banning praise for Lee Johnson after he has played well. It's not like he has fluked an average performance after a diabolical run of form, and then we are opening the champagne.

LJ has played well the last few games, and is putting together a run of form, so why do you try to do him down?

Good point initially, however Cesc, I assume would contribute to the team in another manner. My point was I don't think Lee does anything worth of note when he plays badly. Therefore just assistant isnt enough.

I'm not banning praise, I said well done to the lad. He has to keep it up though. He has been poor recently. No two ways about it.

1 against Coventry.

0 against Tranmere.

0 against Coventry.

0 against Port Vale.

I'm not convinced a goal assist, even at a rate of every other game is worth a place alone.

To quote from another thread, pretty accurate IMO.

Where did you get those stats from Dez?

I can't find anything on the main site. I just have a feeling they are wrong, you could be right though.

Archived