IGNORED

Please Help

midland red

To reverse the whole thing, if a Welshy or Paddy or Jock said to me you English **** I wouldn't mind at all the "English" as its an accurate description. I might take exception to the ***** the same way I would if they hadn't said "English" (unless they are seven feet tall in which case I'd agree with them wholeheartedly).

Its something that has to be experienced at the moment whether the intent and inflection is racist or not. What I mean is the word English itself is not racist, neither is it when used in front of a swear word if spoken in light-hearted banter or a similar way. But certainly it could be if used in a way whereby insult IS intended.

Its all down to interpretation. Its no good slamming down the doors of PC on it regardless as this only serves to curtail dialogue and widens rifts between the various communities. The more the disparate ethnic groups talk to each other and maintain contact then the racist barriers slowly erode.

Of course you'll never get rid of it entirely, but the steps taken in the last 15 years or so has shown it can be minimsed. Its something that could all too easily be ruined if the PC police and their spies/informants impose ridiculous restrictions on conversation and social contact.

Of course there are always those who benefit from isolating the various ethnic groups and they would be rubbing their hands in glee at every silly headline about racism where none actually existed.

But the point about Aaron Brown's injury and what was said at the time from the stands doesn't to me sound like it was racist at all. It was a case of someone expressing an opinion that he wasn't a good player. That's all.

Umm.... try saying that to a Celt, they'll be ENRAGED.

Its true that Welsh Scots English and Northern Irish are BRITISH, but each are separate in their ethnic backgrounds. Take for example Spain. They have Basques, Catalans and Castilians in their country, all called Spanish, yet a Basque would be offended if you said they were the same as a Castilian or indeed, a Catalunian.

The Welsh are a separate people to the English, its a fact. Wales was separate until 1283 when Edward I marched in, killed a few Welsh and stuck a load of castles up to keep the locals in good behaviour.

The ethnic background is entirely different. Welsh people are Celtic in origin. English people are a mixture of Angles, Saxons, Viking and Norman. Of course there has been a lot of intermixing, particularly in south Wales.

However Wales is really a different nation (you can see that in the 6 nations or in the world cup qualifiers coming up).

I'll shake hands and spend time with anyone, be they Welsh, Jew, Arab, Afro Caribbean, Muslim, Christian or ginger, providing I like them as a person.

And what, pray tell, determines if you like someone or not?

I assume by this definition that you believe your prejudices are OK but those who base their prejudices on race, nationality or hair colour are unacceptable.

It's a funny old world.

NB For what it's worth, I don't like City type folk who wear wide pin-striped suits. Is this OK?

"I have met black Bristolians who I like"

What the hell has this got to do with skin, completely seperate.

"And your reference to 'other people's' battles proves my point. Why should someone who lives a few miles the other side of an arbitrary border suddenly become 'other people'? You cannot lump a whole nation together and make lazy generalisations about them. "

Is an expression, have you honestly never used it or are you just being pedantic?

End of the day I'm sure my welsh and Scots mates will agrea with me %100 on this subject, Using Welsh, Scots, English infront of an insult as acceptable in society and istn't meant as racist. 

Maybe you PC lefties should go ban some football in a some more playgrounds yeah?

OK. Let me put this another way.

Somebody breaks into my house and steals my TV. Trashes the place. ####s on the carpet. Kicks my dog. Then he goes. I never see him, just have to replace the TV, clean the carpet and comfort the dog. I'm pretty steamed up, as you can imagine. I know nothing about this guy ... other than the fact that I know he's from Willsbridge.

The next day, I meet you down the Gate. Never met you before, you seems like a good guy, you're a City fan, surely we've got something in common. I say, 'good to meet you, where are you from?' You say 'Willsbridge'.

And I think ... 'that bloke who broke into my house was from Willsbridge. I hate him. Therefore I'm not even going to make an effort to get to know you. You're from Willsbridge, therefore you must be a thieving, carpet-####ping dog molester'.

At which point you're probably thinking 'Why has this guy got it in for me? I've never done anything to hurt him. I didn't break into his house. All I ever did was come from Willsbridge'. And you'd be right to feel aggrieved.

I'm sure Chris Roberts has similar feelings when he hears City fans calling him a Welsh ****.

Now I'm sure you're an OK bloke. I think I'm OK too. But it would be a real shame if we never got the chance to find out what each other was really like because I assumed that because you were from Willsbridge you were a ****. Or you assumed that because I held a different point of view to you I was a PC leftie who wants to ban football in playgrounds.

You know nothing about me, my politics, or my attitude to football in playgrounds.

But if you ask me, I might tell you.

Why not engage in a dialogue instead of falling back on assumptions and stereotypes?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Nibble nibble, I was hoping you'd bit at the leftie comments!

But aren't you saying racism is about Stereotyptyping from your very will made (and thought up) point about the geezer from Willsbridge?

Racism, to me, is about hate or predudice. I'm sure there are a few who hate the Welsh, but on the hole I think insulting a using someones country before a insult is tradition, it enhances the insult, gives more emphasis to it - But if it was insult wouldn't people just say - "You're welsh Roberts"

We have a special relationship on this island, two different people and 3 different countries. At the end of the day we don't discriminate against someone because their welsh or scots, celtic or anglo saxon, a bit of banter is the extreme it goes to. Can't even compare to the tribal violence of Africa, the clashes in the balkans trouble in Indonesia.

Guest weqprarebetterthanu

All the atrocities started with banter which led to avoidance -discrimination -physical attacks - extermination being the final end product.

Racism is not about hatred or dislike it is about one group of people believing themselves inherently to be superior to another .

Is racial banter based on ill in informed stereotyping between the home islands harmless , well ask an Irish person what it was like trying to get a job in Englands in the 50s 60s and 70s that was not manual labour based.

My site name is of course silly banter but not based on any assumptions of superiority as our clubs and teams at present seem very well matched.

But love can be for only one club which outlasts much else and when the first game you see is at LR with Gerry Francis and Stan the MAN Bowles weaving their magic there could be no other !

Never tempeted by the glory hunters of the age Liverpool or as is now Man Utd .One love ,one club one QPR .

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"All the atrocities started with banter which led to avoidance -discrimination -physical attacks - extermination being the final end product."

Yeah, the history of the Balkans in a sentence ;)

"All the atrocities started with banter which led to avoidance -discrimination -physical attacks - extermination being the final end product."

Yeah, the history of the Balkans in a sentence  :cool:

Sounds more like a Rovers boardmeeting!! ;)

:cool:

I do believe the original chant came from mistaken identity and, when with a little mischief ,you see where it leads, it's not hard to understand how silly little things can blow up to all sorts of proporttons

What a naughty little villain. :Costumed89: :Costumed89: :Costumed89:

Pedigree Pigs of BEAUTIFUL GLOUCESTERSHIRE RULE! ALL else are inferior.

PINK PIGS STINK... SING YOU ARE PINKY POOFS SING YOU ARE PINKY POOFS

Guest bristolbred

:Wave:

I heared a lot of thing's in the e/e that game, but not bring the dustbin. but you will always get one or a few sad, drunken idividuals spitting venom at certain city players. i didn't think racism was too bad at City, just the occasional remark. But the swearing makes me wonder if i should take my kids to games, especially when they start singing:

"My old man, said be a Rover's fan!" "And i said ##** off!, B*******!, you're a ##**!".

maybe it's time for the City Board to get the stewards to act accordingly!. :Wave:

:Wave:

I heared a lot of thing's in the e/e that game, but not bring the dustbin. but you will always get one or a few sad, drunken idividuals spitting venom at certain city players. i didn't think racism was too bad at City, just the occasional remark. But the swearing makes me wonder if i should take my kids to games, especially when they start singing:

"My old man, said be a Rover's fan!" "And i said ##** off!, B*******!, you're a ##**!".

maybe it's time for the City Board to get the stewards to act accordingly!.  :Wave:

Cursing has been a fundamental part of most football fan's vocabulary for as long as I can remember(and I've been going down the Gate since about 1960).

You can hear as bad ,if not worse, language in any school yard.

If you don't like it I suggest you take up going to the theatre.

:Wave: :Wave: :Wave: :Wave:

NOW WE ARE STRETCHING THE POINT, WHO ON EARTH WOULD GO TO THE THEATRE IN PREFERENCE TO FOOTBALL, FOR INSTANCE " THAT"L BE THE DAY ", NOBODY HOW RIDICULOUS CAN YOU GET!!!!!!!!!!

YOURS NON THESPIAN MIDLAND RED.

:blink:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:  :Wave:

Got a feeling this production is currently having a run at a theatre "On top of the hill"

But as you have already stated what devient would forsake City for an evening watching half baked actors pretending to be long dead rock n rollers?

The mind boggles..

:Music10:

Archived