IGNORED

City Fans Stand Aside Make Way For The Rovers

Are you referring to Todger Malone? He was a Daily Telegraph hack who got the job as commentator purely on that basis. He was immortal for his "it's theeeeere!" when a goal went in...... utter shoemenders he was.

Are you referring to Todger Malone?  He was a Daily Telegraph hack who got the job as commentator purely on that basis.  He was immortal for his "it's theeeeere!" when a goal went in......  utter shoemenders he was.
top marks fct, thats him how could I forget, he was diabolical!!

I knew one of the producers at HTV at the time and made my views known on Todger in no uncertain terms. The producer proceeded to send me a signed photo of the "great" man himself!! as a joke! at least I had something to light the fire with.....

The funny thing is some time in the distant past - probably around the pre-Cambrian era - I heard or read something that came from someone who knew Todger (probably worked with him) - that stated Todger actively hated football, but since the shekels were good he put up with commentating and fronting the awful HTV Soccer Sunday or whatever it was called then. In fact I distinctly recall Todger used some expletives when describing football "that ****ing game" or words to that effect.

I found it all surreal and as a result hilarious.

Basically Todger's commentary was so bad that once London Weekend got Martyn Tyler (you know, the one who looked like a horse after too many ciders) to dub over his voice when they featured a City match, and things got so desperate that when City went up to Division 1 in 1975/6 their last home game was against Notts County and they even wheeled in Fred Dineage to commentate on that one!! He was even WORSE, if such a thing was possible.

Remember Malone commentating on a home game against Newcastle, must have been in the old first division. City win a corner and the East End up the volume. Malone says something along the lines of "The City fans are really getting behind their team now" and at that precise moment the chant comes over loud and clear: "WE ALL AGREE, ROGER MALONE IS A ##*KER!"

Ha Ha! Timing is everthing in this game!

QUOTE (brady bunch @ Mar 16 2004, 09:19 AM)

Maybe, but unlike some jounrno's at least 20men is even handed, despite coming from the Gas side of town.

Where's that then, Lockleaze?

Yate.

Another Piggy Malone classic "he hit it so hard if it had gone in it would have been a goal!" ;) :Wave: :Wave:

Archived