IGNORED

Another Premiership ref for the game against Cheltenham

Rudolf Hucker

So what did Poll do wrong?

He let the game flow, ignoring many of the 50/50 tussles that would see our usual pisspoor division 3 Refs blowing up for.

I thought he booked Enoch unnecessarily - Enoch simply threw up his arms in exasperation at, yet again, being caught offside. Whether or not he said anything to the linesman, of course, I don't know - but neither did Poll. He took the yellow card from his pocket so quickly. A better referee would, I feel, have let it pass with a lecture. This was exactly the course of action he took with one of the Middlesbrough players (Cattermole I think) in the second half. Of course, he's friendly with all of the Premiership players ...

In the second half, he awarded Middlesbrough a corner which never was and which he was in no position to judge and also gave them two free kicks on the edge of our box for what appeared to be perfectly fair challenges (yeah I accept I'm biased). Poll is regularly taken in by the theatrics performed by the Premiership players - he is part of the problem of why playacting has become such an inherent part of our game these days.

Graham Poll gave the impression, throughout the game, that he thought that 19008 people had turned up to see him referee. He's not the quality of ref that he thinks he is Jay. However, you're right that he was generally better than the div 3 refs we see most weeks - but that's not high praise!

Archived