IGNORED

Don't hammer the cynics & doom merchants

headhunter

In March I celebrate [if that's the right word !] 40 years of supporting City.

The euphoria after last Saturday's match vs. Middlesborough was one I have felt serveral times over the years but clearly never as much as the glory seekers do who follow Man Utd. or Liverpool. It's a great feeling but too often counterbalanced by my cynical view that City never fail to disappoint having lifted your expectation [Hartlepool JOY.... Brighton DESPAIR 2004].

Last night was to be expected [dammit in 1976 4 days after beating Pompey to get up to what is now the Prem they lose 2-1 at home to Notts County !]. It was a very, very poor performance against Wardy's team.

I thought the crowd tried to lift the team on several occasions but they're just weren't up to it. Brian Wilson - what is his position ?

GJ says he's a left sided player if so on last night's performance what has he got that Scott Brown didn't have [other than 2 good legs now - tragic, really feel sorry for Scotty] ? The player says his best position is right back - why sign him when we have Orr, Keogh & Carey who can all play there.

Back to the point of my post. This is our 8th season in this poxy Divsion. In 02 /03 after 19 games undefeated we only got 4 points from the next 24 [4d /4L] and in 03/04 after winning 11 in a row we got 4 points from the next 21[1W /1D]. The cynics are entitled to vent their anger but, like me, it is based upon the fact that we think oh no, here we go again. What are we supposed to do - grin & bear it.

What is an acceptable return from the next 3 games ? It has to be 6 points it ought to be 7 to keep in sight of the 2 points a game target. Scunny and Blackpool away, Huddersfield home - if we achieve then I'll believe. Even if we don't I'll still be there as I have been for 40 years !!

The euphoria after last Saturday's match vs. Middlesborough was one I have felt serveral times over the years but clearly never as much as the glory seekers do who follow Man Utd. or Liverpool. It's a great feeling but too often counterbalanced by my cynical view that City never fail to disappoint having lifted your expectation [Hartlepool JOY.... Brighton DESPAIR 2004].

Last night was to be expected [dammit in 1976 4 days after beating Pompey to get up to what is now the Prem they lose 2-1 at home to Notts County !]. It was a very, very poor performance against Wardy's team.

I thought the crowd tried to lift the team on several occasions but they're just weren't up to it. Brian Wilson - what is his position ?

GJ says he's a left sided player if so on last night's performance what has he got that Scott Brown didn't have [other than 2 good legs now - tragic, really feel sorry for Scotty] ? The player says his best position is right back - why sign him when we have Orr, Keogh & Carey who can all play there.

Back to the point of my post. This is our 8th season in this poxy Divsion. In 02 /03 after 19 games undefeated we only got 4 points from the next 24 [4d /4L] and in 03/04 after winning 11 in a row we got 4 points from the next 21[1W /1D]. The cynics are entitled to vent their anger but, like me, it is based upon the fact that we think oh no, here we go again. What are we supposed to do - grin & bear it.

What is an acceptable return from the next 3 games ? It has to be 6 points it ought to be 7 to keep in sight of the 2 points a game target. Scunny and Blackpool away, Huddersfield home - if we achieve then I'll believe. Even if we don't I'll still be there as I have been for 40 years !!

Ah sense has finally been spoken, agree completely.

People saying omg we are not going to make the playoffs are morons and overreacting completely, but for the last what month, the amount of were going up, end of type posts i've seen are untrue, and when anyone councils caution as we've seen it all go wrong before, people get shot down.

People saying omg we are not going to make the playoffs are morons and overreacting completely, but for the last what month, the amount of were going up, end of type posts i've seen are untrue, and when anyone councils caution as we've seen it all go wrong before, people get shot down.

Yep - got the T shirt !

To right believe it when I see it; to many heart aches in the past to get excited yet.

You have summed it up very well. As a City supporter for 40 years I hope for the best but time & time again have had to accept the disappointing reality. Having said that I think GJ is doing well. There is now a buzz and optimism that I haven't seen for a few seasons and I hope this might be our year. I don't think you can accuse any long term City supporter of being a cynic - they are simply realists who have experienced many years of underachievment. The important thing is that we still turn up every week to support our team. C'mon you Reeddds!

Congratulations that's almost as long as me and, in fairness, it's more than you'd get for murdering your wife, although it has to be said, far less enjoyable!

Bingo

Had I not been to Oldham, I would agree and any Scot Brown fans sat around me also had that opinion and I got some earache for telling them what a good player he was before the game :unsure:

And that "been here before" or "deja vu" feeling is what divides the cynics from the happy clappys and we've discussed it before.It appears to be age related without doubt.The group who I dislike the most are the "don't criticise under any circumstances" who seem to spend most of their time moaning about the moaners :blink:

We'll all be there......the problem is twofold. 1.There aren't enough of us & 2.As can be seen from our spending in the transfer window, that the Chairman is one of us, with The Millenium being his "road to Damascus" experience.Don't agree? Look at our transfer & gate income, then check the expenditure on what, in all fairnes to the players we've brought in and those already here, looks like more of the same

You have summed it up very well. As a City supporter for 40 years I hope for the best but time & time again have had to accept the disappointing reality. Having said that I think GJ is doing well. There is now a buzz and optimism that I haven't seen for a few seasons and I hope this might be our year. I don't think you can accuse any long term City supporter of being a cynic - they are simply realists who have experienced many years of underachievment. The important thing is that we still turn up every week to support our team. C'mon you Reeddds!

Spot on and I've never seen the point of being a Johson/Lansdown lover or Johnson/Lansdown hater for that matter and the great joy of being a realist is that you can quote the evidence of your own eyes, good (Oldham & Coventry Away) or bad (last night.......oh and the most of the past 42 years) :D

What is an acceptable return from the next 3 games ? It has to be 6 points it ought to be 7 to keep in sight of the 2 points a game target. Scunny and Blackpool away, Huddersfield home -

Minimum 5 points

Good 6 points

V Good 7+

And if we get 9, I'll get my apendage out in a well known global superstore that retails consumer durables & groceries

We'll all be there......the problem is twofold. 1.There aren't enough of us & 2.As can be seen from our spending in the transfer window, that the Chairman is one of us, with The Millenium being his "road to Damascus" experience.Don't agree? Look at our transfer & gate income, then check the expenditure on what, in all fairnes to the players we've brought in and those already here, looks like more of the same

Yep but some will never learn !

I'll share my thoughts for what they are worth in this post rather than my original thinking... that was to post my own topic....

In conversation with an AFC Bournemouth supporter we both came to the conclusion that the game against Cheltenham had the 'Oh My God Factor' ............. it was obvious, after an 18 game unbeaten run, that the Cheltenham game was going to be a difficult game and one that had banana skin written all over it.

It was agreed that if BCFC had beaten Cheltenham it would have A) helped BCFC and B) Would have been a game that would have helped AFC Bournemouth

All that said I'd guess many of us were not surprised that the game turned out like it did

BCFC a top of the table team on a good run get beaten by Cheltenham who are a team struggling at the bottom of the table

Illogic thoughts(?) dictated that Cheltenham would be the team to beat us under those circumstances........ gawd knows if we had been at the other end of the table we know we would have won last night.

How many of us could tell it was just going to be 'One Of Those' days in the office

I for one was not surprised by the out come and had that feeling during the game, and especially after the goal, that it was not going to be our day.

Yes I was disappointed....... yes I would have liked another win...... but most importantly no I was not surprised

I can understand peoples disappointment....... hey I share it but at the end of the day Cheltenham beat us fair and square.

Nothing changes that............ the past can not be changed but let us all hope that the future is ours and that despite what we know about BCFC gleaned over a number of years....... we can still go up......... mind you I still believe that an automatic place is the only way we will do it...... so COME ON YOU REDS!

Show us your metal...the next game will be ours......(right?) ....... Yeah!

Archived