IGNORED

Do you have a dell computer?

Big Red Rich

I really want to wipe my computer and start again. Ive had this laptop some 18 months now and just been to look in the box for a system restore disk to find a piece of card with a picture of a cd on it saying that a cd isnt nescesary and I can find all the info I want on their website......well i cant find out what i want!

basically, i just want to wipe the whole lot and start completely from scratch. So has anybody got a Dell who has done this before who could give me a bit of advice?

Thanks,

Rich.

I have only had to do such things to Dell computers which are still under guarantee but I recommend you start by getting in touch with them and explaining the situation.

Tell them that you can not find the original set up discs (disks)

I trust you still have the receipt and can confirm how you bought it, how you paid and when.

If you are lucky then you might be able to talk them into supplying a new set?

This may not work....... but it is worth a try.

You will need to quote the service tag number so make certain you still have it stuck on the system.

They may not be so happy to supply windows if you can not prove it's all above board.

Or get purchase a copy of windows XP / Vistax and start again........ or try ebay for a set of discs (disks)

You can download drivers, bios up dates and such from Dell

Well on ours you have to press a button when the computer is starting and it goes striaght to the setup, pm me and i will let you have my msn name sure I could probably help but it's late and I'm a bit tired.

I think you will find most computers do that.

I still say the best place to start is the legit way........ and should there be no joy then follow the other paths.

What ever you do you will have to download some drivers and such from Dell...... my final bit of advice is........ if you do not know what you are doing then don't do it......

I still say the best place to start is the legit way........ and should there be no joy then follow the other paths.

What ever you do you will have to download some drivers and such from Dell...... my final bit of advice is........ if you do not know what you are doing then don't do it......

Windows XP will recognise most hardware so 99% of the time drivers are not needed.

I have rebooted my computer in the past without needing to do anything but reformatting and installing Windows with the boot disk provided.

EASY EASY EASY EASY

Windows XP will recognise most hardware so 99% of the time drivers are not needed.

I have rebooted my computer in the past without needing to do anything but reformatting and installing Windows with the boot disk provided.

EASY EASY EASY EASY

Done many Dellboy computers have you(?) ...... s'pose you are going to tell me that your computer is a Dellboy

Not a challenge but I have had to do more than a few at work...... which had to work first time and were more than a little bolloxed but nobody had done anything to them etc ;)

Windows is not going to give you things like bios updates (if you need them) or other stuff that you will need to get from Dell

Easy Easy Easy Easy.......Oh shit...... I didn't do it. :)

Ive just been shown this bit on the Dell website:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...030A68F27280D16

Looks reasonably straight forward? Anyone agree?

Go on BRR ........... if we don't see any posts from you for a week or two then we know it didn't go well :)

I would suggest you log on to the European site though..... I think that the UK does not exist so it lists Ireland ;)

Yeah I had a disk when I did it on my normal computer, but there isnt one with Dell, just have to smack a button a the start screen happy days.

Hi,

Yes I have a Dell Laptop. The reason you don't have a system restore disk is because they reserve and hide a few gig on your hard drive with the restore information. So if you have an 80GB hard drive, you'll notice that it only physically shows you about 75 GB. The other 5 GB will be hidden so you can't touch it, but it's there and holds all the info you need for a complete factory reset.

I've not had to ever do a complete reboot, but I think you press a function key (maybe something like F7 or F12??) during boot up, and then you should get an options screen. I believe complete system restore should be one of them.

This will of course send it back to factory setup, so you should keep a copy of any additional hardware/software you've installed since you first got it as you'll have to put everything back on again, unless you're planning to sell it?!

Just out of interest - If you just want to clean up your PC, you can do this with disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. Plus there are loads of utility software out there to help remove registry errors, empty shortcuts and temporary files.

Hope this helps?!

Westside!

Archived