IGNORED

Matthew Hewlett Retires

Rich-TWSC-

Gulls' Hewlett forced to retire

Torquay midfielder Matt Hewlett has been forced to retire from football because of a back injury.

The 30-year-old has not played since April 2006 because of a prolapsed disc, and underwent surgery in September.

However, the former Bristol City and Swindon man has been told by his surgeon that nothing more can be done.

"I am disappointed at not having played many games for the Gulls and given the fans the chance to see the best of me," Hewlett told Torquay's website.

"I would like to thank (chairman) Chris Roberts for everything he has done for me through what has been a tough time for me and my family."

Hewlett made a total of 385 league and cup appearances in his career, having spent seven years with City, five years at Swindon and a brief loan spell at Burnley before joining Torquay in 2005.

BBC website.

Gulls' Hewlett forced to retire

Torquay midfielder Matt Hewlett has been forced to retire from football because of a back injury.

The 30-year-old has not played since April 2006 because of a prolapsed disc, and underwent surgery in September.

However, the former Bristol City and Swindon man has been told by his surgeon that nothing more can be done.

"I am disappointed at not having played many games for the Gulls and given the fans the chance to see the best of me," Hewlett told Torquay's website.

"I would like to thank (chairman) Chris Roberts for everything he has done for me through what has been a tough time for me and my family."

Thanks Rich, bloody sad really, quality chap and player..........

Hewlett made a total of 385 league and cup appearances in his career, having spent seven years with City, five years at Swindon and a brief loan spell at Burnley before joining Torquay in 2005.

BBC website.

Archived