IGNORED

My observations of tonight

Frank Reynolds

Firstly, S****horpe are probably the hardest working team I've seen play. They deserved it tonight, and fair play to them. However, Billy Sharp, despite being the best striker in our league, is a snivelling little cheat, and Jermaine Beckford is the sort of fella who deserves a good hiding. He seems to think he is the Northern equivolent of Rocky Balboa.

From what GJ has said, the City staff knew that the pitch wasn't suitable for the passing game, so fair play fro playing a big guy and a pacy guy up front. But, why play his son? LJ is undoutably quality. He can play that through ball that can unlock defences. But not on that pitch. To me he seems like a lesser version of Luke Wilkshire, and it seems to me that we berated Wilkshire for doing exactly what we praise LJ for. He is able to play that "Hollywood" pass, but in my opinion in our division those come off less, because you have less time and space.

Cole Skuse was terrible. Again, he is a great player, and given time and space he can pass the ball around as well as you could ask. But I'm not convinced that he could do the job on that pitch. I would have gone for Alex Russell, who despite his criticisms, in my opinion can get stuck in and pass it. The pitch made it less likely for Skuse to get into the game.

You can't fault GJ for the wingers, and I thought the defence were very good. Jamie McCombe made a couple of mistakes, but he is a third division defender, so you can't expect too much more than he does. I thought Carey did well too. I saw a thread advocating stripping Carey of the captaincy tonight. I can't think of a worse decision to make. The guy was up against the best player in our league, and also the biggest cheat. Sharp has some brilliant touches but I he falls over if you breathe on him, and cons referees on a regular basis. McAllister and Orr were caught out on several occasions, which is annoying, but Beckford is quick and again, these are third division defenders.

All together it was a poor performance, and I think GJ's insistance on playing LJ and Skuse together hurt us. They're quality players, and will suit us at home, but I think on that pitch you have to make allowances and Noble and Russell would have been a better bet. S****horpe are hard working and play decent enough football, and the two I've mentioned aside seem to be honest enough. The way they play is something for us to learn from in my opinion.

(This season I am a part-timer, so feel free to disagree with anything I've said. I've tried to make it objective enough though!)

Firstly, S****horpe are probably the hardest working team I've seen play. They deserved it tonight, and fair play to them. However, Billy Sharp, despite being the best striker in our league, is a snivelling little cheat, and Jermaine Beckford is the sort of fella who deserves a good hiding. He seems to think he is the Northern equivolent of Rocky Balboa.

From what GJ has said, the City staff knew that the pitch wasn't suitable for the passing game, so fair play fro playing a big guy and a pacy guy up front. But, why play his son? LJ is undoutably quality. He can play that through ball that can unlock defences. But not on that pitch. To me he seems like a lesser version of Luke Wilkshire, and it seems to me that we berated Wilkshire for doing exactly what we praise LJ for. He is able to play that "Hollywood" pass, but in my opinion in our division those come off less, because you have less time and space.

Cole Skuse was terrible. Again, he is a great player, and given time and space he can pass the ball around as well as you could ask. But I'm not convinced that he could do the job on that pitch. I would have gone for Alex Russell, who despite his criticisms, in my opinion can get stuck in and pass it. The pitch made it less likely for Skuse to get into the game.

You can't fault GJ for the wingers, and I thought the defence were very good. Jamie McCombe made a couple of mistakes, but he is a third division defender, so you can't expect too much more than he does. I thought Carey did well too. I saw a thread advocating stripping Carey of the captaincy tonight. I can't think of a worse decision to make. The guy was up against the best player in our league, and also the biggest cheat. Sharp has some brilliant touches but I he falls over if you breathe on him, and cons referees on a regular basis. McAllister and Orr were caught out on several occasions, which is annoying, but Beckford is quick and again, these are third division defenders.

All together it was a poor performance, and I think GJ's insistance on playing LJ and Skuse together hurt us. They're quality players, and will suit us at home, but I think on that pitch you have to make allowances and Noble and Russell would have been a better bet. S****horpe are hard working and play decent enough football, and the two I've mentioned aside seem to be honest enough. The way they play is something for us to learn from in my opinion.

(This season I am a part-timer, so feel free to disagree with anything I've said. I've tried to make it objective enough though!)

Agree with most of it mate but not the '3rd division defenders' statement. Mccombe and Mccallister have been outstanding this season.

Not sure about Orr though- I reckon he may be replaced by Wilson on Saturday.

I hope we don't play Wilson on the left wing again. He was lost out there last night, & for me is the latest player tried out there with no sucess.

We have to find a proper left footed player who can play that role, as 4 seasons on, & we havnt replaced the last player who could do it (e.g Aaron Brown).

Thought Orr was unlucky to be sub'd last night, but agree pitch was a major problem for our style of play.

Was totally shocked that their goalie wasnt booked during the 2nd half for time wasting, or for shouting at the ball boy to slow things down, or for goading the City fans at the end.

Heard a rumour that City players trained at Brigg Town yesterday morning, and it took a bit out of them, not that training should be used as an excuse but in my opinion S****horpe looked quicker to the ball than we did.

Roll on saturday!!

I hope we don't play Wilson on the left wing again. He was lost out there last night, & for me is the latest player tried out there with no sucess.

We have to find a proper left footed player who can play that role, as 4 seasons on, & we havnt replaced the last player who could do it (e.g Aaron Brown).

Thought Orr was unlucky to be sub'd last night, but agree pitch was a major problem for our style of play.

Was totally shocked that their goalie wasnt booked during the 2nd half for time wasting, or for shouting at the ball boy to slow things down, or for goading the City fans at the end.

Heard a rumour that City players trained at Brigg Town yesterday morning, and it took a bit out of them, not that training should be used as an excuse but in my opinion S****horpe looked quicker to the ball than we did.

Roll on saturday!!

If Jevo is back will he come straight back?????? not sure how fit he is-perhaps we will find out after todays reserve match...............

Could Betsy go the left flank and Murray on the right.....

Wilson to replace Orr the only other possible change or perhaps Noble now deserves a run instead of Johnson or Skuse..............

I have a headache now Chris so I am going for a lie down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I've a headache from listening to all the moaning going home last night!!!

Jevons was up there last night, so if he survives the reserve game, i expect him to be on the bench the very least.

Or we may see Enoch shoved out left again for a Jevons / Andrews strikeforce.

At least we have a few options now, as not long ago Jennison Myrie-Williams was our only option up front.

Decisions Decisions, but fancy us to get back to winning ways saturday....

I've a headache from listening to all the moaning going home last night!!!

Jevons was up there last night, so if he survives the reserve game, i expect him to be on the bench the very least.

Or we may see Enoch shoved out left again for a Jevons / Andrews strikeforce.

At least we have a few options now, as not long ago Jennison Myrie-Williams was our only option up front.

Decisions Decisions, but fancy us to get back to winning ways saturday....

I hope so, I was a little suicidal last night!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, Getting Jevo back will be like signing a new player. Plus the fact, all those who moaned when he was playing, now want him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how FICKLE are so called fans can be!

I hope so, I was a little suicidal last night!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, Getting Jevo back will be like signing a new player. Plus the fact, all those who moaned when he was playing, now want him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how FICKLE are so called fans can be!

Having Jevons last night would not have altered the result at all. The service to the strikers was poor and the last thing Jevons needs is to have balls launched up to him. I'd like to see Betsy, Murray, McAllister & Wilson start on the flanks on Saturday and see if we can get some quality balls into the box for Enoch and whoever partners him.

Having Jevons last night would not have altered the result at all. The service to the strikers was poor and the last thing Jevons needs is to have balls launched up to him. I'd like to see Betsy, Murray, McAllister & Wilson start on the flanks on Saturday and see if we can get some quality balls into the box for Enoch and whoever partners him.

Fair comment, but we have missed him...and Brooker!

Archived