IGNORED

Johnson thanks board for backing!

bh red

ok, I know this came off teamtalk, but it quotes him, fair play to SL for Backing Johnson everytime he wants a player, at least Lansdown has done his end of the deal, can't knock the bloke for putting his hand in his pocket, although I know some still will

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1902590,00.html

Bristol City boss Gary Johnson has thanked the club's board for their "unrelenting and continued support" in the transfer market this season.

The £150,000 acquisition of Kevin Betsy from Wycombe last week was Johnson's fourth transfer window signing - the winger joining Brian Wilson, Sean Thomas and Wayne Andrews at Ashton Gate in January.

Midfielder Wilson moved to City from Cheltenham for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the region of £100,000 while goalkeeper Thomas and striker Andrews are on loan for the rest of the season from QPR and Coventry respectively.

The arrival of the quartet took the total number of new faces at the club this season to 11 after Johnson made seven summer signings.

He said: "The board have been terrific this season and I can't thank them enough for their support - which has been unrelenting and continued throughout the campaign.

"They have backed me on every player I have wanted and I am very grateful for that."

We needed a top striker and left winger. We have, by their own definition, a right back and a right winger, from a lower league and Cheltenham. I assume they are in for Murray and Orr as they are no better than what we have in other positions.

The board may be backing GJ, but nothings coming out of SL's pocket that is not being repaid. Plenty of revenue in from cups, tv, transfers of our players, more than enough to cover whats been spent this season.

GJ tried hard to sign Holt and others, but the best wont come here, we've been here too long. When players see us drawing 3 times with low end teams over Christmas, that about killed the January transfer market for the better players.

Brooker fit and performing is our only hope for promotion. He's worth two of any of the other strikers on the books.

I am certainly pleased that the board backed GJ financially in January. Had Pospisil signed we'd probably have spent over half a million total. I think that's a sensible level of reinvestment given the Cotterill fee and the cup runs, credit to SL for that.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get a left footed left winger and another striker in with Brooker eternally unfit. However you can't really knock GJ's permanent signings or the way in which he selects player because by and large every one he's made has improved the squad and we seem to have a great team spirit and mentality.

I agree with Rednready - much depends on Brooker's fitness.

funny how, everyone jumps on Steve Lansdown's back and hammers him for not spending enough money!

yet he has backed the manager whenever it has been needed during the transfer window and do people actually praise the man!

NOPE!, just more bloody moanings!

Keep up the GOOD WORK SL!

The bit that worried me the most was seeing the number of signings we have made in black and white:

The arrival of the quartet took the total number of new faces at the club this season to 11 after Johnson made seven summer signings.

We had a group of players at the end of last season who were out performing the rest of the division. Although we can look at each of Johnson's signings since then and say he has found another good one looking at the group of players as a whole how much good has buying a whole new team this season done us?

Looking for common traits among the sides that get promoted out of this division one thing I have noticed is that they tend to build the team one season and get promoted with it the next - the best example being the Luton side that hardly changed at all from finishing in mid table in 03/04 to walking away with the league in 04/05.

With the academy to provide the squad depth I don't see why we need to sign more than a couple of players in the summer and maybe one in January. Are we missing the opportunity to get promoted by never letting the team settle?

Archived