IGNORED

What a weak centre midfield we have

reddogkev

Well, the Bristol City midfield has well and truly dried up. It's like a desert waste ground out there, desolate, insipid; the odd ball of tumbleweed blowing over the pitch, and the occasional thunder of galloping away midfielders bounding effortlessly through to a bewildered Carey and McCombe.

The sad fact is that despite the obvious offensive skills and silky passing delights of Lee J (including the mesmersing flicks that usually set up an attack for the other side), the man appears to wave opposing midfielders past him instead of either blocking, marking them tightly, or even getting off a decent tackle. During the Huddersfield game, Lee J often flicked his boot complacently towards the attacking midfielder, or may have just raised a knee, feigning that he was going to tackle, only to leave them to skip past merrily. The only tackle I saw Lee hit was immediately after he scored, when his rush of adrenaline must have encouraged him to do things he had never thought possible.

Unfortunately, if you play a midfielder like Lee J, you need to have a powerful midfield workhorse behind him, a man who is prepared to battle twice as hard when the other team has the ball, especially against teams who work to a fast tempo and actually try to pressure and attack opposing players. As you know, Cole Skuse is certainly not a powerful, domineering midfielder. He tries his best, and has good positional sense, though he is not strong enough to fill the holes left in the middle of the park.

This problem is then made worse by the non existent help of our attack. Phil Jevons is a lazy prima donna (the word was created for him) who would never dream of dirtying himself chasing back a midfielder or preventing a forward drive from a central defender. Our only striker who harangues and chases the opposition is the new 'sick note' of the game, the Brook man.

Did you all see the tremendous work rate of Luke Beckett? I remember him actually chasing down four City players in 30 seconds. He (and many other Huddersfield players) have the sort of drive and determination many City players could only dream of.

Well, the Bristol City midfield has well and truly dried up. It's like a desert waste ground out there, desolate, insipid; the odd ball of tumbleweed blowing over the pitch, and the occasional thunder of galloping away midfielders bounding effortlessly through to a bewildered Carey and McCombe.

The sad fact is that despite the obvious offensive skills and silky passing delights of Lee J (including the mesmersing flicks that usually set up an attack for the other side), the man appears to wave opposing midfielders past him instead of either blocking, marking them tightly, or even getting off a decent tackle. During the Huddersfield game, Lee J often flicked his boot complacently towards the attacking midfielder, or may have just raised a knee, feigning that he was going to tackle, only to leave them to skip past merrily. The only tackle I saw Lee hit was immediately after he scored, when his rush of adrenaline must have encouraged him to do things he had never thought possible.

Unfortunately, if you play a midfielder like Lee J, you need to have a powerful midfield workhorse behind him, a man who is prepared to battle twice as hard when the other team has the ball, especially against teams who work to a fast tempo and actually try to pressure and attack opposing players. As you know, Cole Skuse is certainly not a powerful, domineering midfielder. He tries his best, and has good positional sense, though he is not strong enough to fill the holes left in the middle of the park.

This problem is then made worse by the non existent help of our attack. Phil Jevons is a lazy prima donna (the word was created for him) who would never dream of dirtying himself chasing back a midfielder or preventing a forward drive from a central defender. Our only striker who harangues and chases the opposition is the new 'sick note' of the game, the Brook man.

Did you all see the tremendous work rate of Luke Beckett? I remember him actually chasing down four City players in 30 seconds. He (and many other Huddersfield players) have the sort of drive and determination many City players could only dream of.

I agree 100% with your comments about our midfield. Make no mistake, we have the weakest central midfield of any club in the top half of League 1.

When it works it's good and exciting to watch, when it doesn't quite flow and link together it looks ugly and then you have the large holes appearing. The midfield two, although not going to flatten anyone, should be able to close down players well enough to stifle attacks and with the advent of being able to play skillful football when in possession, are a useful combination and obviously has been seen to work beautifully (Coventry away the example). However, i'd rather see some beef in there that allows a more grafting game to be played if slick passing isn't working (or the pitch doesn't allow it, e.g. scunny) and to also tighten up the centre of the park.

Putting aside all the non-football issues from yestdays game.

I agree with your footballing assesment, we have been very erratic in the centre of midfield for most of the season, made worse of late by wide men, coming in off the wing to help the middle men. This, in my view has been a major factor in the poor performances since boro.

To be able to play our football we need to win the midfield battle, and of late we have looked under weight in that department. Which has caused a return to the by-passing of midfield with the long ball as there are no options available.

Personally, Lee Johnson would be better playing behind the front two in a midfield five, but I don't think the manager will move to a 3-5-2. As I say it's just my view.

we have been very erratic in the centre of midfield for most of the season, made worse of late by wide men, coming in off the wing to help the middle men. This, in my view has been a major factor in the poor performances since boro.

Brian bloody Wilson. Annoys the life out of me. If you've been told to play on the left wing, go and effin play there!! There was simply zero outlet at home to Cheltenham and at scunny because Wilson was always always always in the centre of the field trying to be a playmaker. It was only until MacCallister realised this and started running himself that there was something available on the left. It was the same with England on Wednesday - and they were worse because they had a left back who couldn't run.

we have been very erratic in the centre of midfield for most of the season, made worse of late by wide men, coming in off the wing to help the middle men. This, in my view has been a major factor in the poor performances since boro.

Brian bloody Wilson. Annoys the life out of me. If you've been told to play on the left wing, go and effin play there!! There was simply zero outlet at home to Cheltenham and at scunny because Wilson was always always always in the centre of the field trying to be a playmaker. It was only until MacCallister realised this and started running himself that there was something available on the left. It was the same with England on Wednesday - and they were worse because they had a left back who couldn't run.

Are they acting to orders????

Murray came off the wing for long periods yesderday and Betsy was at left back at one stage in the first half as the whole shape of the team went to pot.

Id say the split is, 30% of us see what you see..

The other 70% see Lee as the shining light.

Interesting to see you've only noted the criticism towards Lee Johnson in reddogkev's analysis of yesterdays performance.

Personally I thought Phil Jevons was the worst player on the pitch by a country mile yesterday. I was under the impression that we were supposed to have a acquired something of a goalmoth sniffer but whenever the ball is played across the box he's to be found trotting somewhere near the edge of the D. I can barely recall him touching the ball or making any sort of run that may have dragged the Huddersfield defence out of position.

Our best play this year coincided with Phil Jevons being injured and Enoch Showunmi and Steve Brooker being paired together. Their hold up play gave time for Scott Muarry and Lee Johnson time to supplement the attack and we looked a really dangerous side. Unfortunately the never ending injury(?) problems for Steve Brooker means we're unlikely to see this again on many occasions.

So does Lee Johnson look bad due to a pish poor forward line who have a style of play that do him no favours?

no, cos hes pish poor, and daddy is the manager, and wont drop him, unless injured/suspended, no matter how poorly, or how tired the bloke is.

I still cant c y Scott Brown never got a proper chance in the position he plays. Him and Noble in the middle would have been a hell of a partnership, instead Scott has gone and for some ###### reason the other cant even get in the squad despite the fact hes probably our best midfeilder! I rele can not understand Johnson some times.

I still cant c y Scott Brown never got a proper chance in the position he plays. Him and Noble in the middle would have been a hell of a partnership, instead Scott has gone and for some ###### reason the other cant even get in the squad despite the fact hes probably our best midfeilder! I rele can not understand Johnson some times.

LJ is CLASS

No phil

Lee Johnson looks bad because

(1) He wont close players down

(2) Cant/wont tackle

Both 1 and 2 are a big part of being a centre midfielder

but he's not an defensive midfielder, look at the top class attacing midfielders in world football, players like Lampard, Scholes, Zidane??? hardly know for their defensive ability.

he's not played to defend he's played to create and score goals, something he is doing very well at

but he's not an defensive midfielder, look at the top class attacing midfielders in world football, players like Lampard, Scholes, Zidane??? hardly know for their defensive ability.

he's not played to defend he's played to create and score goals, something he is doing very well at

Sorry but every player in the team has to work his ass off every game, which includes closing down opposition.

He doesnt get let off because hes 'attacking'

When we play teams that close us down quickly as Cheltenham, Huddersfield and unfortunately Blackpool have in midfield, we cannot cope. The problem is the combination of Skuse and Johnson who just cannot compete. I would suggest that Noble together with either Keogh or Fontaine would be a much more effective pairing.

Sorry Old Man but the three examples you give are all known for their hard work OFF THE BALL when the other team has possession. It seems to many of us that LJ only likes putting in the graft when he is ON THE BALL. You do not see good players making excuses like "it's not my game". They just help their 10 mates get the job done.

As you know, Cole Skuse is certainly not a powerful, domineering midfielder. He tries his best, and has good positional sense, though he is not strong enough to fill the holes left in the middle of the park.

I disagree with you here...

Skuse runs his arse off, goes in hard on challenges, tracks back, never gives up his man etc etc.

all that you need in a 'defensive' midfielder.

We have a great midfield in LJ and CS.

But lately it's appeared that they've underperformed.

In my eyes, our forwards are not holding the ball up for us to get it in to the final third of the pitch, and all that seems to happen is

ball gets lumped upfield, falls back on our midfield.

ball works its way through midfield to forwards, forwards get tackled and its back with our midfield.

now i'm not saying that its not supposed to happen... as it is going to happen, thats what they are there for, but with no forward capable of holding a ball up, it just seems an endless game in the middle of the park, that must TIRE them out.

No skuse on the pitch = no hard battling midfielder.

No LJ on the pitch = no play maker. capable of setting up forwards.

TBH, The majority of our chances come from a LJ ball. His vision is immense.

If he seems tired then we always have Noble.

But this nonstop slating of our players is utter b***ocks.

And i do believe that a heck of a lot of people on this forum don't actually watch the game properly.

No phil

Lee Johnson looks bad because

(1) He wont close players down

(2) Cant/wont tackle

Both 1 and 2 are a big part of being a centre midfielder

But what about

(3) Supporting the attack

(4) Creating opportunities for strikes on goal

If you're going to be critical of Lee Johnson for the defensive gaps in his game then surely you've to do likewise to Cole Skuse for his lack of attacking intent.

All the best midfields have players that compliment each others game but something has clearly gone wrong for us in the past three games (constant changing of the wide players due to new players being cup-tied maybe?). I just think that to single out Lee Johnson as some sort of Beelzebub figure is grossly unfair.

Archived