IGNORED

Neil Shipperley ... one that got away ?

headhunter

My Pal is a Bees fan of 40 years just like I am with City.

He bemoaned the fact that we failed to beat Cheltenham the other day and help them out !

Chatted to him this AM and Bees have now won 2 & drawn 2 in the last 4 games ; the relegation battle has widened to 4 from 8 rather than 4 from 5 as it was a few weeks ago in his opinion

Why the turnaround I asked him. Quite simply Neil Shipperley he said.

33 and a touch overweight but postional skill, strength in the air, ability to hold the ball up have all made a difference. Whilst he hasn't scored he has helped Kuffour find the net in the current [short] good run.

How much is he being paid : £1200 per week he reckons; Warnock paid up his contract enabling him to be a free agent.

Why didn't we get him ? Was he on the shopping list ?

My view is that as far as Johnson is concerned he falls into the higher league calibre player who I feel he has difficulty in managing ; also experienced pro who could threaten his job long term.

Don't say Wayne Andrews disproves that theory - his record does not compare with Shipperley at all.

This is GJ's team now and whilst we did go 18 games unbeaten bar 3 or 4 of those matches and perhaps 2 or 3 before that we are not playing anything like a team that will go up with the style of a Wigan or Reading.

I'm worried - defeat tomorrow, then at Blackpool and anything less than a 2 goal advantage to take to the Mem - even the Happy Brigade may become restless ?

We're 8 points better off than we were under Tinnion at this stage of his 1st season as a Manager ; if he hadn't been saddled with Millen I think things may have been so different !!!

simple 2 things

1st, Shipperly is a essex boy and spent most of his career playing for london clubs, started off at Chelsea and lives in Richmond so he's quite local lad to Brentford, no doubt played a major part in him signing!

plus

2nd - haven't we tried the aging premiership/championship journeyman card before? which only brought us an inflated wage bill?

Personally I think the first point played the key role in his transfer, as he apparently turned down 6 other clubs to join Brentford including Leicester,

oh and just found this which he said when joining brentford

Shipperley told the Times: "Brentford are on my doorstep and it would give me great satisfaction to help them stay up.

"I have lived in Teddington for six years and followed the club's fortunes in that time.

"A couple of my friends are Bees supporters and I have gone to watch them a few times. The fact they are my local club swung it for me.

"Six other clubs wanted me. But signing for Brentford felt right."

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/sport/h...rs_sos_call.php

still, why not have use Brentford signing him as yet another pop at Johnson from many on this forum

Archived