IGNORED

"We didn't show enough quality .."

RedUn

Not my words - Gary Johnson's - although I have to agree 100% because, as previously noted, we have throughout the season needed far too many chances to take a goal.

If you make the simple assumption that a team wanting automatic promotion will need to score (and concede) a certain number of goals, then those goals will have to come from somewhere.

You might, for example, "budget" to let in an average of a goal a game over the season (in which case our defence is 1 goal to the good so far) ... you might then think that, say, 72 goals would garner the points required.

Now, suppose you play (on average) two up front: expect one to score a goal every other game (23) and the other a goal every third game (15), that makes 38 over a season which is actually quite a good return but it still leaves the rest of the team to find 34 between them.

On that basis, pro rata to the 31 matches played so far the "par" figures would be 48 goals scored with our forward pair on 25 and the rest of the team 23 ... what we have got is 42 (6 short) with the forwards 18 (7 short) and the rest 24* (1 ahead), even if you argue that a couple of Scoot's goals were scored when pushed up front it is still crystal clear where the problem lies ...

... now compare our forwards to S****horpe's and Oldham's who have scored ~28, no wonder they are where they are in the table and we are where we are :(

* 4 by Scott Brown who's moved on

Thats exactly what Johnson said on Monday after the game though wasnt it? WE need to face facts without two quality strikers(and fit ones) we are going to struggle to get automatic promotion. We have bene unlucky with injuries this season but I'm suprised we didnt go out for a striker in the January window instead of a right winger. Betsy isnt the answer for a striker and from what Ive seen I wouldnt say that Andrews is a prolific goalscorer either. So how we going to stay up with the best if we cant keep Brooker and Enoch fit for the majority of the season?

Thats exactly what Johnson said on Monday after the game though wasnt it? WE need to face facts without two quality strikers(and fit ones) we are going to struggle to get automatic promotion. We have bene unlucky with injuries this season but I'm suprised we didnt go out for a striker in the January window instead of a right winger. Betsy isnt the answer for a striker and from what Ive seen I wouldnt say that Andrews is a prolific goalscorer either. So how we going to stay up with the best if we cant keep Brooker and Enoch fit for the majority of the season?

And there's the rub - not only did he say it this Monday, he's said it a few times earlier in the season, notably around the slip-shod Xmas period.

Yet what steps were made to acquire the missing goalgetter in the January window? ... Andrews, Betsy, Holt ... none of them have the record to suggest they'd bag a goal every other game, possibly Posposil but was that just Plan A with no Plan B?

Does GJ still think that Jeavons will deliver? Does he think Brooker will suddenly become fit enough to recapture his fine scoring record for us over all the remaining games? Did he read the same Non League Paper reports that I did suggesting how hard Benyon worked while at St Albans before continuing the cold-shoulder treatment by sending him out to Crawley?

And there's the rub - not only did he say it this Monday, he's said it a few times earlier in the season, notably around the slip-shod Xmas period.

Yet what steps were made to acquire the missing goalgetter in the January window? ... Andrews, Betsy, Holt ... none of them have the record to suggest they'd bag a goal every other game, possibly Posposil but was that just Plan A with no Plan B?

Does GJ still think that Jeavons will deliver? Does he think Brooker will suddenly become fit enough to recapture his fine scoring record for us over all the remaining games? Did he read the same Non League Paper reports that I did suggesting how hard Benyon worked while at St Albans before continuing the cold-shoulder treatment by sending him out to Crawley?

Obviously not and this is our biggest weakness. We have good individual players but we just don't have a fit pair upfront. We are really going to find it tough over the next few months if we cant keep Enoch/BRooker/Jevons fit. Sad but very true.

Archived