IGNORED

Too much of a 'footballing' side to get promotion

XBOXMAN69

This may sound strange but I think we are too good a footballing side to get promoted. We struggle in League one games because the football being played is totally different. Every week in the league we see huge strikers and equally huge central defenders challenging the relentless long balls that are played to them. :ermm: Unfortunately for us we are a footballing team who like to get the ball down and play, and that isnt lower league football! Last night game was a prime example of how good a footballing side we are.

If we can scrape promotion to the championship then believe we will do very well.

I disagree with this.

Firstly we can compete at a long ball game if we have to, players like McCombe, Carey, Keogh, Enoch and Brooker if he gets fit can all do this.

Second, if long ball beats decent football every time then why don't ManU and Chelsea get thrashed out of the cups by Brentford and the like?

McCombe Yes I agree, and Carey to a certain extent. But Enoch is crap in the air.

He is but a long ball game gets physical and he's a very strong player. What I'm saying is that even though playing decent football is still our strength we have a physical presence in the side stronger than I've seen for a long time that we can use if we have to. Just look at the goals we've scored off set pieces this season compared to previous ones.

Guest North Street
This may sound strange but I think we are too good a footballing side to get promoted. We struggle in League one games because the football being played is totally different. Every week in the league we see huge strikers and equally huge central defenders challenging the relentless long balls that are played to them. :ermm: Unfortunately for us we are a footballing team who like to get the ball down and play, and that isnt lower league football! Last night game was a prime example of how good a footballing side we are.

If we can scrape promotion to the championship then believe we will do very well.

89/90 certainly played a passing game allied to extreme speed [smith] & brutality [Turner] against teams which were more physical & direct than those in this division now. Looking at the players at Citys disposal i would also feel they are more adept at dealing with a direct approach than Humphries, Llewellyn & Williams were.

Crewe have not been bad in the past either hopefully the clubbing seal approach will remain at the memorial.

I agree wth part of Xboxman69's theory to be honest. I think the evidence is there that we tend to play better against the more footballing teams in the division and maybe struggle to break down big powerful teams to put lots of men behind the ball. But then that seems to have been the case for us for quite a while now.

BUT... there is no such thing as too good to go up, just as there's no such thing as too good to go down. You finish where your performances over the season as a whole dictates you finish.

I think you may be on to something. I too am not completely confident that we will get promoted but am confident that if we go up we'll be comfortably mid-table in the Championship next term. On the plus side we really seem to be developing a big game mentality, which makes me think that we might just win the playoffs!

Well, on Big Ron Manager, Fry kept saying they needed to go long and be physical, but when Peterbrough lost their manager, Ron Atkinson said they should pass the ball and play football in order to get out of their division. Now, personally given the choice I would take Ron Atkinson's theory than XBOXMAN69.

Well, on Big Ron Manager, Fry kept saying they needed to go long and be physical, but when Peterbrough lost their manager, Ron Atkinson said they should pass the ball and play football in order to get out of their division. Now, personally given the choice I would take Ron Atkinson's theory than XBOXMAN69.

so if you were manager you wouldn't play enoch cause he'd be a "lazy n....." ? come on.

original poster has a good point which i've been making for a long while, trying to be too clever is often our downfall.

the shining light david noble is a player who can be both creative and physical, and he is backed up in this to a lesser degree of quality by aggy russel. we have some luxury players like LJ and formerly wilkshire, bridges etc, who are great in the right games but can struggle otherwise...

I do think there is some truth in this. To get out of this league I think historicaly the sides who play 'ugly' football stand more of a chance. Look at Wigan Plymouth Southend and Colchester.

We are a footballing side in the sense that we like to play the airy fairy flicks around the midfield. IMO if we were to cut that out and have a big ugly hard centre midfielder in centre mid we would certainly be top 2 right now.

Archived