IGNORED

Am I the only person who thinks this game is a waste

Franklin CITY

Season ticket holder for 30 years but this game to me is a waste of time. So what if we are playing the gas in a mickey mouse cup. What matters is promotion and I think that this game is a good smoke screen for the lack of invesment on the pitch to be hidden. Good old Radio Bristol has been hyping this game up as the biggest game in Bristol for 5 years, Rubbish.

It has been playing on the emotions that as long as we are beating the gas then our league position is irrelevant. This sort of attitude has been fueling Lansdowns lack of investment for too long so in his view as long as we beat the gas and maintain survival then we are a success.

If we suffer any injury or any bookings then the game should be viewed as an unwelcome diversion to gaining promotion which will be difficult with the lack of investment into the team.

Season ticket holder for 30 years but this game to me is a waste of time. So what if we are playing the gas in a mickey mouse cup. What matters is promotion and I think that this game is a good smoke screen for the lack of invesment on the pitch to be hidden. Good old Radio Bristol has been hyping this game up as the biggest game in Bristol for 5 years, Rubbish.

It has been playing on the emotions that as long as we are beating the gas then our league position is irrelevant. This sort of attitude has been fueling Lansdowns lack of investment for too long so in his view as long as we beat the gas and maintain survival then we are a success.

If we suffer any injury or any bookings then the game should be viewed as an unwelcome diversion to gaining promotion which will be difficult with the lack of investment into the team.

spot on mate

I'm another one who gave it a miss for exactly those reasons. Plus the fact in a month no one will give a t**s, once the bragging ahs died down. It will still be something that I will say been there done that!

Promotion is has and always will be the number one priority and surely City asperations have to much higher than playing the blue few. Last Saturday's result against Blackpool was far more important as well as the games that were played in div 1 last night.

This is only my view and I understand why many would want to see this game, but the potential £500K from winning this competition, would pale into insignificance if City get promoted, with bigger gates, mre TV revenue and sponsorship.

Like Scott Murray for instance!!!!!

The game is unfortunate, but not necessarily a waste of time, a victory which ultimately should be acheivable over 2 legs will hopefullly give us the necessary boost to acheive the promotion we yearn, plus we earn extra revenue in terms of a millenium stadium final and gate reciepts. It may be an unnecessary distraction in the push for promotion but it is not as if we can just pull out of the competition, so we might as well do this diddy team over.

I agree with everything you have said and could cite a few games,including play off matches against Cardiff and Hartlepool as well as league matches against Plymouth and QPR that were much bigger than this one.

But to be honest, any match with league points at stake is much bigger than this tin-paint-pot trophy. Everyone seems to moan about the part-timers that appear out of the woodwork, but believe me, the next home league match against Northampton Town is bigger than this - its just that 6,000 or so of our "fans" just don't get it! :bruce_h4h:

So how can we expect the local media to get it into perspective?

Absolutely spot on.This game had no more importance to me than the old pre season gloucester cup games against the rovers used to have.They were never attended by more than 5-6,000.

I think that there is a large amount of our younger supporters who have never seen a true derby match (i.e league or i guess fa cup) so tonight was an oppertunity to try and experience that and hence the ridiculous hype.

I love true derby days ,the trips to Eastville and trumpton the all important 2 or 3 points at stake depending how far you go back.

For that reason i hope Rovers get promoted (twice i hope will be necessary) so we can have those games again,but the jpt cup -having got to the final on 4 previous occasions i'm afraid is an irrelevence ,and unlike the fa cup does not promote the club to a wider audience.

Those for who this is a first occasion of seeing a city rovers game ,enjoy,but don't try and make out it is of any importance at all.

GJ said on the radio he wouldn't take a 5-0 loss to guarentee promotion-i would.

Back to the important stuff at the weekend-let's not take our eye off the ball.

Got to add-what a dull game tonight.Yes i was daft enough to go!!

Archived