IGNORED

How many stayed for 90minutes?

redsince82

I for 1 felt ripped off last night, and with 20 minutes to go, was seriously questioning why i had to queue up in freezing conditions, just to sit in the drizzle watching 2 poor sides just going through the motions on the pitch.

So with 10 mins to play, the post match pint was looking a lot more attractive.

Needless to say, i did leave before the whistle (and i wasnt the only one!) and before you all start name calling (part time fan.......) i paid hard earned money to watch that drivel last night, if i decide its not value for money, it is my right to make the decision whether to bore myself for another 10 minutes or go and do something more interesting and entertaining instead.

Bring on the critics..... :disapointed2se:

I for 1 felt ripped off last night, and with 20 minutes to go, was seriously questioning why i had to queue up in freezing conditions, just to sit in the drizzle watching 2 poor sides just going through the motions on the pitch.

Needless to say, i did leave before the whistle (and i wasnt the only one!) and before you all start name calling (part time fan.......) i paid hard earned money to watch that drivel last night, if i decide its not value for money, it is my right to make the decision whether to bore myself for another 10 minutes or go and do something more interesting and entertaining instead.

As I said on another thread I got up at 4am to get to work early and drove over 500 miles in the day to make sure I got to the Gate on time (I got in literally as the teams were coming out) and to be honest I have questioned whether I would have been better off in the decent hotel I would normally have stayed in having a nice meal and a couple of pints, all paid for by the company I work for!! Yet again, the football was poor and not worth the admission fee. It's a shame but with such a strategy Gary Johnson has to deliver success otherwise the standard of football will come back to bite him on the backside when people decide whether to renew their season tickets or pick and choose their games next season.

Stayed till the end myself, but each to his/her own; its up to the club to keep the crowd coming back, provide decent food/drink/caters/football; mind trying to get away in the traffic took almost as long as the game;

don't really bother me what time fans come or go but the club did seem to struggle with a large gate, which they will need to sort.

Massive police pressence could also be the norm if/when we move up a league who pays for them...oh yes us.

Life is an endless list of decisions. As a supporter nobody forces us to make that choice to spend more money on tickets, make that trip to away matches.

Yes it was poor last night...but thats football.

Debate the football..........don`t whine about spending your hard earned.

PDG

Life is an endless list of decisions. As a supporter nobody forces us to make that choice to spend more money on tickets, make that trip to away matches.

Yes it was poor last night...but thats football.

Debate the football..........don`t whine about spending your hard earned.

PDG

My decision to spend money, my right to "whinge" about it....surely?

It was awful last night i have to admit, and i came have very very disapointed....BUT......football wouldnt be football if every game was a 4-3 thriller. Its life matey. Can you honestly say that you go into work and put 100% in EVERY day? I doubt it! So what would you do if your employer said that YOU wernt value for money when you had an off day.....!!!

My personal opinion was that the lads were to scared to make a balls up, hense taking the easy ball all the time, there is stil the 2nd leg yet which hopefully will be a better game. All is not lost - keep the faith!

It was awful last night i have to admit, and i came have very very disapointed....BUT......football wouldnt be football if every game was a 4-3 thriller. Its life matey. Can you honestly say that you go into work and put 100% in EVERY day? I doubt it! So what would you do if your employer said that YOU wernt value for money when you had an off day.....!!!

My personal opinion was that the lads were to scared to make a balls up, hense taking the easy ball all the time, there is stil the 2nd leg yet which hopefully will be a better game. All is not lost - keep the faith!

Good point, Well made

Point Taken.

C'mon the reds!

Such a pointless post...i don't really care if you stayed the whole match or not

Whats your point?...if your just going to have a moan i don't care either

I agree, good post

Such a pointless post...i don't really care if you stayed the whole match or not

Whats your point?...if your just going to have a moan i don't care either

Right so you have never posted anything that can be deemed pointless????? and of course, being a forum, moaning should be outlawed!!

Would you rather nobody had an opinion and all kept their thoughts to themselves? just so you can entertain us with your wit and knowledge???

Pointless post??? so pointless you felt the need to reply? so can a post that creates interest can still be deemed pointless??? hmmm :whistle2:

You buy a ticket knowing full well that sometimes you will watch an inspiring match, and sometimes you won't. A ticket doesn't come with a guarantee of quality football or indeed a happy ending (especially if you're a City fan - you should know that by now!). If you want that, go to the cinema. Yep, you've paid your money and it's up to you if you stay to the end or not. And yes, you're entitled to say what you think of the fare. Personally I couldn't give a fig whether you stay or go, but the way you frame your posting is indicative to me of the different way football has been marketed in recent years and the way this has affected the attitude of fans.

In the past, football was marketed as a sport and seen as such. Fans came purely to be part of the spectacle and support their team and, frankly, what mattered was getting one over on the opponents, both on the pitch and on the terraces. After a scrappy 1-0 win, the emphasis when fans talked about the game was on the second part - the fact it was a 1-0 win.

These days, football is marketed as entertainment. Spectators come 'to be entertained' and as such are more passive, rather than to actively take part in an event with a football match at its core. The attitude is 'my time is valuable so entertain me or I'll go and do something else instead'. Hence, with ten minutes to go some simply decide to up and go. Hence, also, even after a scrappy 1-0 home win this forum is filled with people moaning - because for them the emphasis is on the first part of the phrase "scrappy" rather than the fact that we won.

For me the difference is between a fan in the first case, and a spectator in the second. I believe this change in the way football is presented has resulted not only in a change of demographics in the stands, but also in a change in attitude among those who attend (including many of the young males who traditionally would only have cared about winning and having bragging rights over other teams). It's a shame, and it's also what has affected the atmosphere. But as long as football is marketed as a form of entertainment, and people turn up passively expecting to be entertained, we will not solve this crisis in atmosphere which has infected grounds nationwide.

Or in your case two tickets :bruce_h4h:

Ouch. Touche!

For the record, I buy two tickets because my missus is also a keen City fan and season ticket holder. On some occasions we find out at the last minute that she can't make it for work reasons or because she has to look after the kids. When that happens, I choose to give the ticket to a genuine fan rather than pass it on to a relative or a friend who wouldn't get the same enjoyment from it, because I'm well aware there are plenty of true supporters who unfortunately miss out on some of our big occasions due to stadium capacity limits.

Of course the solution is to extend the stadium or alternatively to copy the strategy that Rovers have been following of slipping down the leagues until no-one wants to watch you any more. :whistle2:

I am hoping that this mysterious event all the season ticket holders have been invited to is a scheme to pay up front to renew our tickets for a number of years in order to fund the new, larger, East End stand. Provided I get to keep my current seat and don't have to move to the East End, I'd be happy to do this.

Ouch. Touche!

For the record, I buy two tickets because my missus is also a keen City fan and season ticket holder. On some occasions we find out at the last minute that she can't make it for work reasons or because she has to look after the kids. When that happens, I choose to give the ticket to a genuine fan rather than pass it on to a relative or a friend who wouldn't get the same enjoyment from it, because I'm well aware there are plenty of true supporters who unfortunately miss out on some of our big occasions due to stadium capacity limits.

Of course the solution is to extend the stadium or alternatively to copy the strategy that Rovers have been following of slipping down the leagues until no-one wants to watch you any more. :whistle2:

I am hoping that this mysterious event all the season ticket holders have been invited to is a scheme to pay up front to renew our tickets for a number of years in order to fund the new, larger, East End stand. Provided I get to keep my current seat and don't have to move to the East End, I'd be happy to do this.

Fair enough. Only joshing. You know me; can't resist. I'm immature and bored :innocent06:

You buy a ticket knowing full well that sometimes you will watch an inspiring match, and sometimes you won't. A ticket doesn't come with a guarantee of quality football or indeed a happy ending (especially if you're a City fan - you should know that by now!). If you want that, go to the cinema. Yep, you've paid your money and it's up to you if you stay to the end or not. And yes, you're entitled to say what you think of the fare. Personally I couldn't give a fig whether you stay or go, but the way you frame your posting is indicative to me of the different way football has been marketed in recent years and the way this has affected the attitude of fans.

In the past, football was marketed as a sport and seen as such. Fans came purely to be part of the spectacle and support their team and, frankly, what mattered was getting one over on the opponents, both on the pitch and on the terraces. After a scrappy 1-0 win, the emphasis when fans talked about the game was on the second part - the fact it was a 1-0 win.

These days, football is marketed as entertainment. Spectators come 'to be entertained' and as such are more passive, rather than to actively take part in an event with a football match at its core. The attitude is 'my time is valuable so entertain me or I'll go and do something else instead'. Hence, with ten minutes to go some simply decide to up and go. Hence, also, even after a scrappy 1-0 home win this forum is filled with people moaning - because for them the emphasis is on the first part of the phrase "scrappy" rather than the fact that we won.

For me the difference is between a fan in the first case, and a spectator in the second. I believe this change in the way football is presented has resulted not only in a change of demographics in the stands, but also in a change in attitude among those who attend (including many of the young males who traditionally would only have cared about winning and having bragging rights over other teams). It's a shame, and it's also what has affected the atmosphere. But as long as football is marketed as a form of entertainment, and people turn up passively expecting to be entertained, we will not solve this crisis in atmosphere which has infected grounds nationwide.

I find this a strange post in some ways. You appear to be saying that entertainment and support are totally exclusive - i.e. you either want to be entertained or you want to support. That is not right in my opinion. I have gone to all sorts of places watching City along with many others so no-one is going to question my support. But yes, shock horror, I would rather see a decent game of football than accept any old $h1te to be honest. Using your barometer of support everyone deserves to be annoyed with last night anyway because not only was the football poor but the sole barometer of what you feel a supporter should be happy with - i.e the result - was missing too.

I can only speak in my own experience but when you are playing football yourself you would much rather play good football than pi$$-poor football and I can't imagine one single player in a red shirt (with the possible exception of Noble) actually enjoyed his game of football last night.

I find this a strange post in some ways. You appear to be saying that entertainment and support are totally exclusive - i.e. you either want to be entertained or you want to support. That is not right in my opinion. I have gone to all sorts of places watching City along with many others so no-one is going to question my support. But yes, shock horror, I would rather see a decent game of football than accept any old $h1te to be honest. Using your barometer of support everyone deserves to be annoyed with last night anyway because not only was the football poor but the sole barometer of what you feel a supporter should be happy with - i.e the result - was missing too.

I can only speak in my own experience but when you are playing football yourself you would much rather play good football than pi$$-poor football and I can't imagine one single player in a red shirt (with the possible exception of Noble) actually enjoyed his game of football last night.

Thanks for replying with some interesting viewpoints. I don't really see it as 'either/or', more a matter of degrees. Of course we'd all like to see us win and play decent football all the time. But I think there are two contrasts:

One is the active/passive contrast. Marketing football as entertainment encourages people who come along expecting to plonk themselves down and be entertained - either by what is happening on the pitch or by the spectacle which, ironically, they do not see themselves as part of. Contrast this with active supporters who see themselves as part of the football event. Not because a club plays some crappy tune, packaged for them to clap along to when they score, but because they feel themselves part of a crowd that is singing, taunting their rival fans and reacting to what the other fans throw back at them (metaphorically, not literally!) I can recall games that I went to which I remember for the atmosphere and the inter-fan singing even though I couldn't tell you what the score was that day! I guess I'd sum it up as one lot feeling part of something, while the others feeling like 'onlookers'.

The other is the idea of what matters most - the result or how you get it? It is a matter of degrees, but I'm suggesting that for a supporter immersed in the club what matters is the result. What matters to a fan enticed by the promise of football as entertainment is the quality of what is on show. Hence with a scrappy 1-0 win what will matter more to some is the fact that we have won and can rub the noses of rivals in it and walk tall because we're higher up the league. More and more, though, it seems these days that we can win games and people moan about the way we win rather than being happy that we won. Again, I'm suggesting this comes from expectations created by the idea of football as an entertainment product competing against cinema, theatre etc.

I also accept this is not an entirely satisfactory interpretation because one of the things I feel strongly as a City fan is that we are part of a tradition of clubs who try to play football with a certain pinache, with wingers etc - City's cavaliers compared to Rovers' bulldog spirit. If my suggestion held true completely, then I guess I wouldn't care about playing attacking passing football at all so long as we got results. But I do detect a change in the attitude and expectations of the fans compared to the 70s, 80s and even early 90s. Yet ironically, as a result of changes to the laws of the game and the way football has developed over the years. particularly with the injection of foreign players, the game is arguably more 'pretty' and skillful now than it was in the 70s and 80s.

Guest DrFaustus

The Dolman stsnd didn't start emptying until 5 minutes before time. Most unusual for you lot. Still it gave them time to congrgate up by Kentucky Fried Chav and act 'hard'. Most amusing when 6 of them tried it on with me and my mate and we laughed in their faces. They didn't know what to do :)

I guess they knew we were Rovers as we had the requisite number of fingers. (7 on each hand)

in all fairness i don't believe that people are deservedly or justified in being annoyed just because city didn't play particularly well. i think fans should certainly be disappointed, but isn't getting annoyed just a bit out of perspective as its the nature of football that everyone has bad games, especially at our level.

I agree that every footballer will want to play good football all of the time, but in reality this doesn't happen. there are time when even the best teems need to scrap in games and only very few players in the world will play consistently well week in week out. i think the players may well have been frustrated by the game and the way it went, but many players would surely still find enjoyment through their love of the game (or maybe this is just my wishful thinking)

in response to the people who complain about spending their money to watch city, this is the sought of attitude i find baffling. i believe their may be some exceptions where it is justified to be annoyed, for example if players look like they don't want to be playing etc. but there is not going to be many instances of this occurring. football is a game that has winners and losers so everyone should be prepared to lose from time to time. i'm not suggesting people should enjoy losing or drawing but should except that i happens.

i expect the feeling of annoyance is exaggerated as its the gas we failed to beat, but i would rather us play bad against a team that didn't punish us for it rather that a better one that might.

Some of you moaners don't know how lucky you are!!

Last night I had to do a 260 mile round drive which took me nearly 7 hours. All of that to sit and watch 90 minutes of not a great game of football.

Do you hear me kicking off? Do you hearing me leave early so I can avoid the traffic? NO!

As much as I respect it is a personal choice and that this is a forum and it is where items are discussed don't go on about it. By the time most of you were in your front doors I was still 2 1/2 hours from mine.

If it annoyed you that much and you can't deal with the fact that we don't get to see the best football ever and you feel that we should all stamp our feet when things don't go our way - go and support your local sunday team instead. This ongoing arguement that crops up week in/week out under a different topic heading is boring and stale.

Shut up or put up - please!!

Some of you moaners don't know how lucky you are!!

Last night I had to do a 260 mile round drive which took me nearly 7 hours. All of that to sit and watch 90 minutes of not a great game of football.

Do you hear me kicking off? Do you hearing me leave early so I can avoid the traffic? NO!

As much as I respect it is a personal choice and that this is a forum and it is where items are discussed don't go on about it. By the time most of you were in your front doors I was still 2 1/2 hours from mine.

If it annoyed you that much and you can't deal with the fact that we don't get to see the best football ever and you feel that we should all stamp our feet when things don't go our way - go and support your local sunday team instead. This ongoing arguement that crops up week in/week out under a different topic heading is boring and stale.

Shut up or put up - please!!

To be honest, what I find more boring and more stale than anything else to do with our club is the number of supporters who'se response to someone with a different viewpoint is to tell them to go and support another club. I don't know who you think you are to do that. Are you some kind of superior authority who has the final say on who walks in and out of Ashton Gate? Have you been voted "Best City Supporter" in some official awards ceremony hosted by the club? Perhaps the answer is that if you don't like a post or a thread then you should ignore it. Or, alternatively, take a leaf out of Red Top's book and post something constructive in reply. Far better that than something along the lines of "#### off up the Gloucester Road then!!".

If you want to know how lucky I was yesterday then read post number 2. I was disappointed with the game (along with many others) and can't think of a better place to say so than on a supporters forum. Surely it's better than shouting abuse at the game itself. Yesterday, I pulled out all the stops to "put up" as you put it and then watched a disappointing game. I really don't see why I should then "shut up" when I type my views on this forum.

In reply to Barry, I take your point. annoyed is the wrong word and disappointed is more accurate.

To be honest, what I find more boring and more stale than anything else to do with our club is the number of supporters who'se response to someone with a different viewpoint is to tell them to go and support another club. I don't know who you think you are to do that. Are you some kind of superior authority who has the final say on who walks in and out of Ashton Gate? Have you been voted "Best City Supporter" in some official awards ceremony hosted by the club? Perhaps the answer is that if you don't like a post or a thread then you should ignore it. Or, alternatively, take a leaf out of Red Top's book and post something constructive in reply. Far better that than something along the lines of "#### off up the Gloucester Road then!!".

If you want to know how lucky I was yesterday then read post number 2. I was disappointed with the game (along with many others) and can't think of a better place to say so than on a supporters forum. Surely it's better than shouting abuse at the game itself. Yesterday, I pulled out all the stops to "put up" as you put it and then watched a disappointing game. I really don't see why I should then "shut up" when I type my views on this forum.

In reply to Barry, I take your point. annoyed is the wrong word and disappointed is more accurate.

Greebo - firstly I don't know why you've attacked me in such a way, I feel that we are almost saying the same points but saying them in a slightly different manner - I wasn't actually addressing you - I felt disapointed having spent so much money and time to get to AG - my post was more inclined to those fans that live within touching distance of the ground and don't have the financial and time burdens that you and I obviously have.

I read your post and sympathise with you - I've done this trip on numerous occasions over the past few seasons.

I'm not the 'best city supporter' and I never said I was or even suggested that I was. What I was trying to suggest is that people have the option of choice in what they believe - if you are that worried about watching a 90 minute football game that won't have the conclusion you want, don't part with your cash.

I was dissapointed last night, I feel it today too - but why is there this continual need when we play poorly to make a song and a dance about it?

Greebo - firstly I don't know why you've attacked me in such a way, I feel that we are almost saying the same points but saying them in a slightly different manner - I wasn't actually addressing you - I felt disapointed having spent so much money and time to get to AG - my post was more inclined to those fans that live within touching distance of the ground and don't have the financial and time burdens that you and I obviously have.

I read your post and sympathise with you - I've done this trip on numerous occasions over the past few seasons.

I'm not the 'best city supporter' and I never said I was or even suggested that I was. What I was trying to suggest is that people have the option of choice in what they believe - if you are that worried about watching a 90 minute football game that won't have the conclusion you want, don't part with your cash.

I was dissapointed last night, I feel it today too - but why is there this continual need when we play poorly to make a song and a dance about it?

Sorry about that!! It does look like an aggressive post from me. And it is in some ways because too many people on here use this "go and support another club line". I know what you mean but, hey, lets not fall out about it!

Sorry about that!! It does look like an aggressive post from me. And it is in some ways because too many people on here use this "go and support another club line". I know what you mean but, hey, lets not fall out about it!

Fair play cocker - no hard feelings. I know what you mean about the 'go and support another club line', its an easy and cheap answer and used too often.

Archived