IGNORED

The Wedlocks

RedRaw

Not sure if this has been confirmed elsewhere but for those of you with an interest in what was the Wedlocks pub or those who harboured hopes that it may someday return, the final nail appears to have been struck.........

http://www.ukplanning.com/ukp/showCaseFile...mber=07/00433/F

Thanks for posting this.

The Supporters Trust has been following this quite closely and have been waiting for a planning application to be submitted.

• Admin

Well the background is total fiction, as it certainly didn't have a reputation for trouble on match days and if the landlords charged a reasonable rent and beer prices, who knows, it my be feasible to run it as a profitable pub.

But that won't make the owners a quick lump sum though.........

Well the background is total fiction, as it certainly didn't have a reputation for trouble on match days and if the landlords charged a reasonable rent and beer prices, who knows, it my be feasible to run it as a profitable pub.

Well having looked at a number of things - firstly its well documented that people DID apply to take on the pub, so thats a lie.

But the most staggeringly obvious thing for me is that they plan to build 20 flats and a commercial unit and only have 10 parking spaces. Yeah.. and the other 15 cars are going to park where exactly? It's bad enough around there as it is, let alone more. If the ST want an angle to object, parking situation is a huge blunder on that application imo.

Agree - what's all this about "incidents of football violence and clashes between opposing supporters"

Anyone ever seen away fans in there?

The pub owners put the rent up to sky high levels, making it impossible for any tennant to make a viable living - then claim the pub is a magnet for drugs and trouble and the best thing is to pull it down and build flats...........so 19 x £130K-ish is around £2.5 million ....Nice !!

CodeRed

The plans are a disgrace. Yet another example of p*ss poor planning.

The Wedlocks might be a problem as a pub, but what's wrong with converting it into flats within the exisitng bricks and mortar. I happen to think its a really great looking building, but money comes before everything I guess.

The planners will only be happy when we're all living in souless Barratt Homes and shopping in Tescos :ranting:

I'm off to unpack my IKEA wardrobe before washing the car.... :argh:

A tricky issue undoubtedly - with national, regional and local plans pushing for more development on brownfield sites this will inevitably happen more and more. Already in Bristol we are seeing employment sites go for housing development, and small pieces of valuable local open space being built on in order to protect the rural fringes of the city from development.

In terms of the Wedlocks I would say there are a few things to push - loss of employment use, valuable local community facility, overintensive development (possible overlooking of nearby properties?), lack of parking and impact on already difficult parking situation. I am sure there are other issues.

Also, there is a facility on the Bristol City Council website for e-petitions, why not put it on there?

Petitions are probably the least valuable way of registering an objection. What works better is individual letters that stick to the planning issues.

As long as it meets Mr Prescotts guidelines then the planners at Bristol City Council have little option but to approve the plans - just a bunch of rubber stampers. That isn't the end of it though - The Land Registry is the ultimate arbiter and can rule against if there are legal or environmental reasons. Just succesfully fought a case near me although we did have the benefit of restrictive covenants.

And you lot thought people in Watford knew nothin! :farmer:

I quite like the plans and, in reality, I'm glad it's being demolished.

I wouldn't argue with the actual design of the building. For me the issue of parking is ill sighted though - 10 spaces for 18 flats and a commercial unit?

Where are the other 20 cars going to go in a street already highly difficult to find 1 parking space let alone 10-20...

I wouldn't argue with the actual design of the building. For me the issue of parking is ill sighted though - 10 spaces for 18 flats and a commercial unit?

Where are the other 20 cars going to go in a street already highly difficult to find 1 parking space let alone 10-20...

According to the plans, only the residential units will be allocated parking spaces - I assume by selling them to first come, first served. Having said that, the parking provided looks suspiciously cramped.

Apparently, they did some research over 2 nights in October last year about on-street, uncontrolled, parking within 300m (5 mins walk) of the flats during the evening hours (when most people are at home). They stated there was 40-odd one night and 50-odd the next. View that as you wish, but the key point was that they were conforming to planning requirements.

They acknowledged that parking would be difficult when City are at home, but countered by saying that prospective purchasers would be aware of that and it would be taken into account.

I honestly think that pub has massive potential given its location, but it looks like it'll go the way of so many pubs.

It is a shame, but then who honestly used the place? I used to get in there for the odd match, especially if the weather was ok so the garden was open.

I certainly prefered it to that wierd place, the Coopers although it doesn't offer anything more or less than the Rising Sun or the Ship and Castle.

The cul-de-sac my in-laws live in are fighting a similar case at the moment, but on a smaller scale. The person in question wants to build 5 flats on the garden of a house he owns. The residents are objecting due to the parking problems. Each flat has been given a parking space or garage. It seems as long as the developer does this then it's hard to object. The flat owners don't have to use the garages or spaces, and can arrive owning large vans and several cars, but as long as off street parking is provided that's ok! In the case of the wedlocks there doesn't seem enough parking to begin with so there must be a strong case for objection.

It seems another thing the Council is very keen on is bike (cycle) spaces, which the wedlocks does have, masses of them! Also they like a place for rubbish / recycling bins provided and if there is a mention of improved access for people with disabilities, it's virtually rubber stamped.

Archived