IGNORED

Desire To Succeed

Dave L

I'm a big supporter of the academy. I think it's the way forward for the club. But producing players with ability isn't always enough.

There's a really interesting piece by James Lawton in today's 'Independent' about young would-be footballers. He quotes Liam Brady, head of Arsenal's Academy: "One thing has to be accepted straight away. It is that talent is only one aspect of success. You also need character and ability to mature quickly in a very competitive atmosphere"

Lawton also talks about George Cohen, right back in the England team that won the World Cup in 1966.

"Cohen started his career at a time when the maximum wage for a young player was £10 a week in the winter and £9 in the summer, with a £2 bonus for appearing in the first team. In his autobiography, Cohen wrote: "Today when I hear of some kid being besieged by scouts, and his family hearing sweet talk of riches that were beyond their dreams before little Johnny started to kick the ball with some promise, I have to wonder what is happening inside the youngster's head. "How hard will he work at his game when he knows that the future is more or less financially guaranteed? How can he have that gnawing feeling at the pit of his stomach which came to the young players of my generation when they looked at the team- sheets which measured the flow - or the ebb - of their career hopes?

Achieving in professional sport, without hunger, without the fear that you are always one step away from making another living in another walk of life, is a challenge to which I just cannot relate. At Fulham, at 15, the challenge in front of me could not have been more basic. I had to run harder than ever before, and that was just to survive."

This is the challenge facing our young players now. Are they like Joe Burnell, who may lack Tommy Doherty's all round skills, but certainly seems to have what Brady calls 'character'? Or are they going to waste the talent that they have, because they don't have the drive to succeed that drove Cohen on?

Kevin Amankwaah, the Brown Brothers. They have undoubted talent. But do they have the hunger?

I think it comes down solely to the individual and those closest to him in his young life.

Did you see the documentary about Beckham last night?

He was guaranteed success and riches from a young age, however, that didn't stop him and his Dad spending all their spare time in the park with a ball, this helping to make Beckham determined (to the point of obssession) to be the best.

It was cemented in his character to win and to want to keep winning.

A majority of people don't have this level of motivation and settle for what they got in life; this is the case in any job or profession.

If a young footballer is happy to be good enough and does not work himself hard and strive to reach the very top, instead opting to pick up a couple of K a week in the lower leagues, then they are no different really.

This is what sets people like Beckham in Football, Robbie Williams in Music, Tom Hanks in Acting etc. etc. apart. Isn't it? :D

Pleased the tabloid version of The Independent has some uses, namely an interesting thread Dave :D

The difference between then and now is far bigger in the financial expectations of todays youth. Kids today want it now not in 5 or 10 years.

The Welsh newsreader (forget his name) was on Steve Wright in the afternoon last week discussing his own youth and expectations. He said (and this caused much hilarity) that he spent a lot of time in his local library as a teenager. I share that experience, as a kid I did my homework in Henleaze Library every day. Today is different I appreciate this with access to all kinds of information on the net, but kids today do not seem to want to put the effort and time into their chosen career. I'm sure there will be many students who are members of this forum who will disagree, but experience has shown this to be true.

The newsreader told of the time he and other members of the BBC spend with young people explaining the realities of journalism and the time it will take to qualify, the work ethic which would have to be shown, the salary levels whilst on the job training was completed etc etc. He stated that the kids were shocked and just could not believe that he could take so long before the financial rewards could be gained and instantly changed their minds as to their, to then, stated desire to enter the media.

My company recently advertised for a trainee graphic designer with a gaurantee of day release for college as well as on the job training which in time would lead to a rewarding career. The salary was small but the prospects excellent. Adverts in the local job centre and media were placed, the response, zero.

Now footballers are not generally blessed with academic brains and they don't need one. However, if I was an aspiring young footballer, and that includes some of those mentioned above who should be old enough to grasp reality, I would be hell bent on achieving the highest standard of both academic and footballing education I could.

If I was in Amankwah's position I would ensure that the effort and commitment I showed on the pitch was such that Wilson would not only never consider substituting me in the first half of my third game back after a long layoff but that he would have my name down without hesitation on the next team sheet. Especially as my contract is up for renewal in the not too distant future. Instead he ambles about showing not the slightest interest and then when the inevitable occurs he sulks throughout the half time interval sitting on an bench as if he is sittimg in St Andrews park on a lovely Summers afternoon. Hell it makes me so mad. And to cap it all he tells the EvilP that he does not want to play on the wing as he is not a winger but a right back, gggrrrrrrrrrr. Well young man, you have proved your point in the most selfish and insular way possible. If it ever (if you ever get the chance again) happens again please take your dummy and your pram to a park in Horfield or Cheltenham or somewhere because you have the talent, the skill, the physical attributes to succeed, what you lack is the drive, the ambition and the balls to succeed in football or for that matter any career. There are a number of others in the club to whom this alos applies.

Joe Burnell is a total contrast, puts in 100% effort every time, he is not a creative midfielder but he does what he can 100% and puts his body in where others wouldn't, absolutely brilliant, can't and won't fault him and he will succeed in any career he chooses after his current career comes to an end.

Rant over, young footballers, 1% make it and of those half are the Burnells of this world, who haven't got the god given talent and not the Amankwah's who have.

Spot on Cheshire Red. Interesting addendum to this. On the lunchtime news today there was a little feature on how technologically literate todays 2 and 3 year olds are. They interviewed a mum who said 'The thing about kids today is that they want it here, and they want it now'. Implying that there was no way she could possibly say no if little Tommy wanted the latest PC.

Actually, that's always been the case. The difference being, that when I was a kid (and god I'm sounding old!!) I wanted it now too. But I never got it, as I was taught that you had to work hard in order to achieve success.

As must our young footballers (he added, in a desperate attempt to get this back on topic and end the ramblings of a Boring old ##rt) :D

Yes, the hunger to win is a key component of success. Obviously, it is something you'd want to see in all your club's players, not just youngsters (cf the cosy clubbers).

Saturday was my first sight of the current U/17s and it was interesting to hear some of the parents on the touchline say how much their game had developed some bite this season, like they really wanted it. That's how it looked too.

I've always felt the following advice to be particularly apt for players of all ages:

"Play every game like you think its your last ... because one day you'll be right!"

Guest citysnumber7

i think some of the young players has a great spirit for success and if you say the young players do not care enough then you are sadley mistaken, you have got danny coles who is a quality player and I'm sure he will devolop into becoming a very well known center back, and when darren hawkins had a little run out in the first team he looked a very promising prospect for the future

Archived