IGNORED

Albion 0-2 City - All The Statistics

cheshire_red

24 fouls?! dirty b***ards

What annoyed me was that every time we (Brighton) fouled you, he blowed up. It was always for little things as well when there was no need to blow.

Then when you fouled us, instead of blowing up, he waved played on. There was no consistency in his decisions with regards to playing on or giving a free kick. I presume these stats don't count a foul as a foul if the ref waves play on (when really play on means he acknowledges the foul but allows play to carry on).

What annoyed me was that every time we (Brighton) fouled you, he blowed up. It was always for little things as well when there was no need to blow.

Then when you fouled us, instead of blowing up, he waved played on. There was no consistency in his decisions with regards to playing on or giving a free kick. I presume these stats don't count a foul as a foul if the ref waves play on (when really play on means he acknowledges the foul but allows play to carry on).

I was only listening on the radio whereas you were there and could see it all so i'll take your word for it.. sounds like what we get against us every game tbh, about time we had a ref giving decisions our way

I was only listening on the radio whereas you were there and could see it all so i'll take your word for it.. sounds like what we get against us every game tbh, about time we had a ref giving decisions our way

Well yeah, refs are always shit, and I'm not blaming him for the result. Comment is only with regards to the 'fouls' statistics and how that can be misleading.

I had to laugh hearing Brighton fans on their local radio accusing the ref of being 'bent' because he was supposedly so far in favour of City. In fact, what happened was only one team tried to play passing football. The other team just concentrated on the physical side of the game and surprise, surprise, conceded a lot more fouls.

Listening to the moaning you'd have thought the referee won the game for City. But guess what? I heard not one fan dispute anything about the first goal or the penalty. Both were cast iron and were nothing to do with poor refereeing decisions. And despite the whingeing, the Brighton players themselves were not disputing that the striker did foul Basso, just the decision to send him off. Given how late it was, if there was contact then I think the ref got that right too. And the BBC 5 Counties Radio commentator, who was pro-Brighton, himself admitted that when fans watched highlights of the penalty and the sending off they would probably have to concede he got both decisions right.

I had to laugh hearing Brighton fans on their local radio accusing the ref of being 'bent' because he was supposedly so far in favour of City. In fact, what happened was only one team tried to play passing football. The other team just concentrated on the physical side of the game and surprise, surprise, conceded a lot more fouls.

Listening to the moaning you'd have thought the referee won the game for City. But guess what? I heard not one fan dispute anything about the first goal or the penalty. Both were cast iron and were nothing to do with poor refereeing decisions. And despite the whingeing, the Brighton players themselves were not disputing that the striker did foul Basso, just the decision to send him off. Given how late it was, if there was contact then I think the ref got that right too. And the BBC 5 Counties Radio commentator, who was pro-Brighton, himself admitted that when fans watched highlights of the penalty and the sending off they would probably have to concede he got both decisions right.

Just shown the sending off incident on Sky. Mad Frankie's grandson had to go. It was a definite stamp on a prone Basso.

They also showed the first Jevo goal. An excellent, controlled finish.

The Ref was one I have never rated, however yesterday I think he was spot on.I don't think Fraser stamped on Basso but he did step on him when there was no need to.It was one of the things that happned at our end I can honestky say I saw it clearly.In terms of his overall display I would rate him as very good and that's two referees I've said that about in the last three so I'm off for a lie down. :D

You say 'fans'. The 'bent' comment was by one person who text the radio phone in.

We played good passing football in the first half and made some great openings but made one pass to many or didnt pass at the right time. In the second half we were not 'physical' but we were much more direct, and it didnt work and we were shit.

The ref was very picky and his waves of play on always seemed to go for us but not for you, so we conceeded more fouls. It was a penalty, no argument. I'm and those Ive spoken to are not blaming the ref at all.

Having seen the red card on TV once I think it looked a little harsh. You can often tell by a players reaction too. Tyson got sent off last week and just accepted it as he knew he'd done wrong. Our lad is 18, first year pro, and looked absolutly gutted and furious. I don't think there was any intent there but I can see where the ref is coming from and why he's gone.

You say 'fans'. The 'bent' comment was by one person who text the radio phone in.

We played good passing football in the first half and made some great openings but made one pass to many or didnt pass at the right time. In the second half we were not 'physical' but we were much more direct, and it didnt work and we were shit.

The ref was very picky and his waves of play on always seemed to go for us but not for you, so we conceeded more fouls. It was a penalty, no argument. I'm and those Ive spoken to are not blaming the ref at all.

Having seen the red card on TV once I think it looked a little harsh. You can often tell by a players reaction too. Tyson got sent off last week and just accepted it as he knew he'd done wrong. Our lad is 18, first year pro, and looked absolutly gutted and furious. I don't think there was any intent there but I can see where the ref is coming from and why he's gone.

It was definitely 'fans'. One texted in, as you say, then a second bloke phoned in and said he agreed the ref must be bent. The presenter went to great lengths to stress that it was just an opinion and that the chances were that the ref was not taking bungs! I was just struck by the number of complaints about the ref, rather than about your performance.

Fair play to you for your frankness, though. I've not seen the sending off again myself. I'd be interested in how you thought your performance compared to when you played Forest and how good/bad you thought we were compared to them. I must admit I was surprised after your recent results how poorly you played, but then again we've done the same in matching Middlesboro, Coventry etc and then inexplicably losing or dropping points to sides we should be beating.

Incidentally, hope you get a new ground because then I might actually get to see something that doesn't resemble a Subbuteo pitch when I travel to your place, having paid a king's ransom. It always feels vaguely unreal watching a match at Withdean - more like watching pub sides play or something rather than professionals. It's hard to explain, but the surroundings seem to have an effect on how I actually see the football itself, as if I'm interpreting the standard of play by the weird low-key amateurish venue. Brighton are better than that, or they should be, so fingers crossed for the new ground.

All the best for the rest of the season.

I'd be interested in how you thought your performance compared to when you played Forest and how good/bad you thought we were compared to them. I must admit I was surprised after your recent results how poorly you played, but then again we've done the same in matching Middlesboro, Coventry etc and then inexplicably losing or dropping points to sides we should be beating.

I think Forest looked better than you when they had 11 men. Prutton was immense in midfield and Tyson looked very good. When Tyson got sent off they actually took the lead but we got back into it with a free kick which theyre keeper should probably have saved and then a decent goal straight from the restart.

Other than Yeovil, you're the best passing side we've played though. You get it out wide quick, keep possession well and get it into the box. I don't think Forest are as good in that respect, they've got some great individuals but don't gell as well as you do as a team.

We won at S****horpe, drew at Oldham (who looked very ordinary). Been most impressed by yourselves and Yeovil. So close at the top though, anything could happen.

"Bristol City goalkeeper Adriano Basso claims the Premiership official got it wrong when he sent off substitute Fraser towards the end of Saturday's 2-0 defeat for the Seagulls at Withdean.

The Brazilian believes Fraser should only have been booked after treading on his back.

Basso, speaking exclusively to The Argus, said: "He just stepped on my back. I didn't think the referee was going to give him a red card. It wasn't a stamp and I don't think he should have been sent-off. I think it was a yellow card."

Archived