IGNORED

Derbies

Southport Red

This may seem a strage comment after the fighting in the League Cup final btw Chelski and Arsenal but I wonder if local Derbies actually mean anythiung special to the players (over and above any other match I mean).

We saw at the rugby ground last night that they are still important to the fans (perhaps TOO important if the after match scenes are to be considered) but does it really mean anythiing special to the players?

In our team last night we had maybe Carey and Woodman only who will have grown up in the area, I don't know any Gas players but they will have had Phillips, of the rest (unless I've missed someone obvious - entirely possible) they are all imports, either from other parts of the UK or elsewhere, Can Scousers (Jevons & Orr) really have the depth of passion for City v Rovers that they did in the old days when perhaps 8 of the team were Bristolians and were brought up with the emnity, sorry rivalry?, how different is City v Rovers to City v Northampton to a Brazilian goalkeeper for example?

I'm not knocking anyone, just wondering, the game has moved on, become far more global and a lot less local, in the main that is a good thing but could there be a downside when sterile derby matches are the result?

Last night wasn't a failing of effort.

It was a failing of ability, ideas, tactical nouse, application and talent.

No good bleating about it now.

Last night was the time to address the issue and, simply put, the players let the fans down big time......yet again.The players & management need to apologise and move on, whilst understanding the lessons and, more importnatly, not repeating them.

No, you have to say that for the large part Phillips out-thought LJ's crosses, and LJ didn't change his tactics in the slightest. The boy has guts, heart and a great attitude, but he is not a midfielder. Do him a huge favour and play 3-5-2 with him as a 3rd striker.

The closest we'd been was an opportunity McCoombe had on the left wing fairly late on, and if he'd stopped the ball with his tackle he'd have been right down Flapper's throat. Alas, it went out for a goal kick.

This may seem a strage comment after the fighting in the League Cup final btw Chelski and Arsenal but I wonder if local Derbies actually mean anythiung special to the players (over and above any other match I mean).

Well they certainly mean something to our local rivals. Out of the six derbies we have played this season, against Cheltenham, Rovers and Yeovil, we have yet to win a single match & have now lost four. Perhaps you should instead ask if they mean anything to the City players.

No, you have to say that for the large part Phillips out-thought LJ's crosses, and LJ didn't change his tactics in the slightest. The boy has guts, heart and a great attitude, but he is not a midfielder. Do him a huge favour and play 3-5-2 with him as a 3rd striker.

I was OK until you got to the third striker part.

The closest we'd been was an opportunity McCoombe had on the left wing fairly late on, and if he'd stopped the ball with his tackle he'd have been right down Flapper's throat. Alas, it went out for a goal kick.

Our centre half the most effective attacking player late on, with a block tackle-Says it all really. :disapointed2se:

In our team last night we had maybe Carey and Woodman only who will have grown up in the area,

We didn't even have that many - Woodman is from Devon (Tiverton I think).

I think someone posted a few days ago about giving the youngsters a go - a few more Bristol boys in the side may not necessarily have won the game but I'm certain there would have been a lot more urgency in their play.

If this Tristan Plummer is as good as people say he is why aint he playing when our strike force has nothing striking or forceful about them. Jevon's love him or hate him does get goals and thats what he's paid to do but they come like busses, none for a few weeks then 2 at once. Showumni first game back fair do's. Brooker is not the same brooker any more and it comes to something when we are playing Murray into a strikers role late on in games, when apparently we have a player arsenal want on our books, surely its not rocket science?

Archived