IGNORED

Team v Northampton

Bristol Boy

We know that we have most of our players back.

From what's been said/not said on the website, only Murray, Weale & Russell will miss out.

So, there are few excuses and the whole club needs a massive performance, not just a scruffy win, although that'll do!

We can go 4-4-2 utilisng genuine wide players to break down a stubborn defence

..............BASSO..........

KEOGH..........CAREY....MCCOMBE..............MCALLISTER.....

WILSON.........SKUSE....NOBLE......BETSY..............

.......BROOKER.............SHOWUNMI.........

SUBS

THOMAS

ORR

JEVONS

ANDREWS

JOHNSON

I doubt he'll leave out LJ however, for reasons I've gone over a hundred times, I would if we play with genuine wide players.

We can utilise of strength in defence and central midfield in a 3-5-2.This would probably be my preference for all of our remaining away games, at least

...............BASSO.........

...............KEOGH.....MCCOMBE............CAREY......

WILSON...JOHNSON..SKUSE....NOBLE.......MCALLISTER.......

.......BROOKER..............SHOWUNMI........

SUBS

THOMAS

BETSY

JEVONS

FONTAINE

ORR

Either team has balance and looks good enough, on paper at least, to beat Northampton or anyone sle in this division with a good performance.It's time to put the past where it belongs, in the past and to win this thirteen game "mini season"

Over to you, GJ!!

Yes - it did sound like McAllister & Enoch won't start (I was at the Mem & thought Enoch faded very quickly - I do think half his problem with missing games is mental - just doesn't seem up for it sometimes, when he is he's fine but not often enough, no wonder Johnson is frustrated............the raw ability is there < pace, touch, strength > but you've got to want it !!)

So - IMO - GJ will go with:

.BASSO..........

ORR..........CAREY....MCCOMBE.FONTAINE.....

WILSON.........SKUSE....JOHNSON.............BETSY.

.......BROOKER.............JEVO......

SUBS

THOMAS

KEOGH

NOBLE

ANDREWS

SMITH

I think Gary will go with this..but I'd try to find a place for Russell because - IMO - he doesn't catch the eye like LJ with the much quoted "Hollywood Pass" (when it comes off) but when he plays we're more effective....he closes down well, keeps the shape and position and keeps possesion well AND can play a killer pass - a-la- the pass for Noble's goal at 'Boro - BUT only when it's on....wheras LJ always tries the defence splitting pass even when it's not on and we invariably lose possesion.

We did well last season with Russell and Noble and - for me - this is still the best midfield 2 when we play a 4-4-2.

Skuse is ok when we're winning with 30 mins to go and we need to hold the midfield.

In my opinion the midfield area is where we've struggled to take control in too many games resulting in us hoofing it to Brooker etc far to often.

Yes - it did sound like McAllister & Enoch won't start (I was at the Mem & thought Enoch faded very quickly - I do think half his problem with missing games is mental - just doesn't seem up for it sometimes, when he is he's fine but not often enough, no wonder Johnson is frustrated............the raw ability is there < pace, touch, strength > but you've got to want it !!)

.BASSO..........

SUBS

THOMAS

KEOGH

NOBLE

ANDREWS

SMITH

I think Gary will go with this..but I'd try to find a place for Russell because - IMO - he doesn't catch the eye like LJ with the much quoted "Hollywood Pass" (when it comes off) but when he plays we're more effective....he closes down well, keeps the shape and position and keeps possesion well AND can play a killer pass - a-la- the pass for Noble's goal at 'Boro - BUT only when it's on....wheras LJ always tries the defence splitting pass even when it's not on and we invariably lose possesion.

We did well last season with Russell and Noble and - for me - this is still the best midfield 2 when we play a 4-4-2.

Skuse is ok when we're winning with 30 mins to go and we need to hold the midfield.

In my opinion the midfield area is where we've struggled to take control in too many games resulting in us hoofing it to Brooker etc far to often.

Sound about right and I agree about the midfield.

.BASSO..........

SUBS

THOMAS

KEOGH

NOBLE

ANDREWS

SMITH

Very True bout Noble and Russell if it aint broke don't fix it.

I really don't care what the team is as long as we see a good performance and a convincing win. It is Johnson's responsibility to pick the team and get the tactics right to produce the required output today and if he ever needed to get it right, he needs to do that today.

Only that will get fans back onside and pulling in the same direction.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this game will be a turning point in our season.

If we play and win well, I think we can go on and take the league by the scruff of the neck.

If we don't, then I think we might be in for the usual nail-biting run-in.

Sound about right and I agree about the midfield.

IF LJ had to be signed, next June would have caused less aggravation.IMO GJ will not renew Russells contract, whilst I believe he appreciates his professional approach and application. Then there would have been a vacancy.

The ramifications as they stand are this. The successful midfield of Noble, Russell and Skuse has been interfered with, and Artus has had his much vaunted expectations put on hold .

Next season we may start with LJ, Noble, Skuse and Artus, but for the time being we are stuck with the weekly problem of midfield tinkering. That is one of the root causes of our inconsistancies. Center midfield is the heart of any formation, if the heart beat is variable, so is the performance.

Archived