IGNORED

Mr Johnsons tactical nous

kingswood red

What an incredible thread. It started off with someone suggesting sacking Johnson if we lose in the playoffs after his first full season. In the middle is someone who says Johnson's got a lot of resources available (sold millions worth of talent recently and spent a tiny percentage) and THEN it has someone implying he believes that if 'his' team and formation had been employed against Rovers we would be playing in Cardiff in one month.

don't know whether to laugh or cry.

What an incredible thread. It started off with someone suggesting sacking Johnson if we lose in the playoffs after his first full season.

What you mean like Kenny Jackett who made the play off final and won the JPT? Nah, that couldn't happen, could it?

In the middle is someone who says Johnson's got a lot of resources available (sold millions worth of talent recently and spent a tiny percentage)

What's wrong with that?Our resouces are huge compared with the vast majority of our competitors

and THEN it has someone implying he believes that if 'his' team and formation had been employed against Rovers we would be playing in Cardiff in one month.

Actually, that's your take on it and you're biased.What I said was that I had previously said that the only thing that would see us lose would be GJ setting the team up incorrectly for the second time in a week, BEFORE he did just that in the second leg.Hope the clears it up for you

Why don't you give us the benefit of your opinion instead of just making a daft unjustified remark, instead?

The attitude and desire of the players must make big inroads into your argument, if Sharp is happy (for now) to stay at S****horpe, they are wise to keep him, had he (and his agent) expressed a real desire to get away and sign for a premier (or premier bound) club, then maybe he wouldn't be there now.

Or maybe they've agreed that he can leave at the end of the season, promoted or not at which point he'll get more and they'll get more.Win-Win

Its all too easy to blame the manager or chairman for selling players, but who wants or needs, a disgruntled and want away player.

Cotterill had a great game about three days before he left and he didn't seem disgruntled to me.As far as LL goes it was another case of not getting a player under contract or on the list quick enough and we've seen a few of those-Thorpe, Wilkshire, Peacock-that's £2m paid that then walked for nowt.I'm not saying that the deal for Cotterill wasn't a good one, but you have to look at LL's worth now (£5-7m) and just wonder, what if.

I for one am seriosly worried about getting stuck in the play-off lottery. Johnson seems to lack the motivational skills required to lift the team and supporters to perform on a particular day. Yes we are in a good position (more to do with this crap league) but his tactical nous seems to be lacking. Surely we should have a settled system of play, so whoever plays, knows the system, what is required of them and is played in his correct position, like S****horpe do.

We have a big squad and he is forever tinkering, apart from mimime, or maybe because of him. To put it simply, the way the team was set up on tues night and motivated was simply abysmal, had that been the playoff final, we would have lost again no matter who we were playing, doesnt it sound familiar? Wilson paid with his head after doing just that.

I say anything short of automatic promotion now, especially after tues night, will be seen as a failure and if we do get in the playoffs and lose Johnson should go. I never thought I would be writing this, but that was one excuse too many on tuesday night.

i hope you come on here fi we get promoted, what do you want from him first full term in charge and it looks like we make play offs at least..get real go away

What exactly would you call it then? You're making observations on a past event with knowledge that you couldnt possibly have (performance and result) before the game.

I'd call it saying that I had made the comment about his formation in the first leg and said that if he made the same mistake in the second we'd lose.That, I hope you'll agree isn't being wise after the event.If you like I can even give you the telephone number of a chap I said the self same thing to in The Gainsborough in Lockleaze two hours before the match.Quote "The only way we'll lose is if Johnson sets the team up wrong like last week".......My mate added "There's no ******g chance of that" and I said "I don't think so either, at least I hope not, but he's changed formations a lot lately"

The point is moot, we'll never know what would have happened had those formations been used. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We'll never know, you're right-However we do know that what GJ tried in both legs failed and we ain't going to Cardiff.For the record, I hope to Christ that he doesn't go outside 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 for the rest of this season and if he does it again Saturday, we won't win that game either.

Firstly, I am neither a GJ lover, or a GJ hater, I support the team, the manager to me is not that important, it's our results and performances that I am interested in.

The one thing that I am starting to find slightly iritating from the 'GJ walks on water' brigade is 'this is his first full season in charge' arguement. He had 37 league games in charge last season, to me that is not far off a full seson in charge, he's had a full pre season this season, and 33 league games under his belt this season. That's 70 league games in total, plenty of time in my eyes to have his squad sorted. We've had the January 2006 transfer window, the summer transfer period, January 2007 transfer window, and we still haven't got a decent left winger or a 'nippy, fox in the box' type striker who will stay fit and bang in 20 goals a season.

What an incredible thread. It started off with someone suggesting sacking Johnson if we lose in the playoffs after his first full season. In the middle is someone who says Johnson's got a lot of resources available (sold millions worth of talent recently and spent a tiny percentage) and THEN it has someone implying he believes that if 'his' team and formation had been employed against Rovers we would be playing in Cardiff in one month.

what is most shocking is that these people are actually serious.

fickle is an understate..........in the cups anything can happen, we had the highs in the cup against Cov and Boro and a low against the gas.

all that matters is the league and our position doesn't lie.

fact is SO FAR johnson is doing a bloody good job

Firstly, I am neither a GJ lover, or a GJ hater, I support the team, the manager to me is not that important, it's our results and performances that I am interested in.

The one thing that I am starting to find slightly iritating from the 'GJ walks on water' brigade is 'this is his first full season in charge' arguement. We've had the January 2006 transfer window, the summer transfer period, January 2007 transfer window, and we still haven't got a decent left winger or a 'nippy, fox in the box' type striker who will stay fit and bang in 20 goals a season.

Totally agree about the left winger the biggest mystery of GJ's time in charge for me, but surely whatever our opinions of him, GJ signed Phil Jevons to be the other type of player? He got 20+ for Yeovil last time out and now has 15 for us, so I don't know what his job is if it isn't that.

Firstly, I am neither a GJ lover, or a GJ hater,

Snap

I support the team, the manager to me is not that important, it's our results and performances that I am interested in.

Agreed

The one thing that I am starting to find slightly iritating from the 'GJ walks on water' brigade is 'this is his first full season in charge' arguement. He had 37 league games in charge last season, to me that is not far off a full seson in charge, he's had a full pre season this season, and 33 league games under his belt this season. That's 70 league games in total, plenty of time in my eyes to have his squad sorted. We've had the January 2006 transfer window, the summer transfer period, January 2007 transfer window, and we still haven't got a decent left winger or a 'nippy, fox in the box' type striker who will stay fit and bang in 20 goals a season.

Couldn't agree more

Totally agree about the left winger the biggest mystery of GJ's time in charge for me, but surely whatever our opinions of him, GJ signed Phil Jevons to be the other type of player? He got 20+ for Yeovil last time out and now has 15 for us, so I don't know what his job is if it isn't that.

For me all our problems this season boil down to three things:

Lack of a fit, scoring target man for about thirty games.

Lack of creativity in midfield-Although all of them are decent enough at what they do, not one of them could tie Tinnions bootlaces in that dept.

Lack of a left winger.

As Mercury said, 70 games is enough to address all those factors.

Oh and before someone pipes up about LJ's assists again, if you take all of the set pieces you'll top the assists lists as shown by the fact that McAllister's not far behind him.I'm knocking neither player, just stating a simple fact.In open play Jevons must have a decent number of assists.

For me all our problems this season boil down to three things:

Lack of a fit, scoring target man for about thirty games.

Lack of creativity in midfield-Although all of them are decent enough at what they do, not one of them could tie Tinnions bootlaces in that dept.Would that be the same Brian Tinnion that spent the vast majority of his career with us 'creating' in the third division?Lack of a left winger.

As Mercury said, 70 games is enough to address all those factors.

Oh and before someone pipes up about LJ's assists again, if you take all of the set pieces you'll top the assists lists as shown by the fact that McAllister's not far behind him.I'm knocking neither player, just stating a simple fact.In open play Jevons must have a decent number of assists.

Personally I always thought BT was a good player for us and supported him as such, but where did all that creativity get us?

what is most shocking is that these people are actually serious.

fickle is an understate

I can only speak for myself and I would consider that I am far from fickle.I just write and state what I see-Good or Bad.I don't paint myself into corners by being a lover or hater of GJ/SL or any player.Credit where it's due and Criticism where that's due.That's being factual, not fickle.People talk about fickle fans however I thought our support of what was on offer against The Gas was excellent in both legs

..........in the cups anything can happen, we had the highs in the cup against Cov and Boro and a low against the gas.

Correct-However, when you explore the reasons why, a lot of it comes down to tactics in all those games

all that matters is the league and our position doesn't lie.

Our position's fine and IF we win the games in hand, we'll be even better set.If we don't,our recnt performances at home don't lie either........and they've been poor, questions will rightfully be asked

fact is SO FAR johnson is doing a bloody good job

You're spot on with SO FAR and that's what I've said all season when this question's been raised.We've won nothing yet

Got us promoted once-Play Offs Twice at least-Play Off Final-LDV Final?

also got us relegated twice.

hardly a majorly successful player considering he was at the club for 10 years.

personally I was quite happy when he stopped playing, as we had become a one dimensional team which was basically a case of Stop Tinnion, Stop City

above average 3rd division footballer at best

personally I was quite happy when he stopped playing, as we had become a one dimensional team which was basically a case of Stop Tinnion, Stop City

Sorry, promoted twice!

If Tinnion was an above average 3rd Div Footballer, it doesn't say much for the current incumbents, does it?

So one promotion then, all on his own?

Was he injured for our relegation season?

He was actually a member of a far better promotion team and, like most of the team, wasn't good enough week in week out in The Championship.The management failing that year was not replacing Sean Taylor when he was injured-But that's going over old ground.

The current crop aren't as good as that team, IMHO and anyone who thinks that any of our midfield players are as creative as Tinnion is deluded.

That's one of the three reasons I gave for why we're not running away with a very mediocre division

Sorry, promoted twice!

If Tinnion was an above average 3rd Div Footballer, it doesn't say much for the current incumbents, does it?

promoted twice???? ummmm, I believe it was only the once under John Ward?

it doesn't say much however in 10 years time if any of them are still at City then will be a fair time to compare them.

Alan Shearer only ever won a league title, would you say he was an average player, many good players will win little if anything at all throughout their careers, it doesn't make them bad players.

Tinnion was a class above anything we have had on the pitch for a good 10 years, the current midfielders are not even close to matching his creativity, I remember sitting close to Cheesley at the gate a couple of years ago and he was purring at the range of passes Tinnion had in his locker.

I find your observation of him as a player rather blinkered, maybe your confusing him with Tinnion the manager, now that was a disaster.

Archived