IGNORED

Lets wait and see shall we?

And Its Smith

There's debate everywhere about Johnson on this forum. He is either:

(a) the correct man for the job, someone who installs passion and a want to win in his players. We've had a 2 game cup blip but our recent league form is good. Johnson will definately do it this season or the next and should be given 2 full seasons minimum.

(b) someone who is tactically inept, doesnt know his best line up or formation, hasnt signed players in the positions needed. We will not go up this season and if we don't Johnson needs to go.

Why cant we all just wait and see if this season is a success or not before slagging the man off. Nobody knows whats going to happen. We are capable of gaining 16 points from out next 7 games or we could get 8 points.

There's debate everywhere about Johnson on this forum. He is either:

(a) the correct man for the job, someone who installs passion and a want to win in his players. We've had a 2 game cup blip but our recent league form is good. Johnson will definately do it this season or the next and should be given 2 full seasons minimum.

(b) someone who is tactically inept, doesnt know his best line up or formation, hasnt signed players in the positions needed. We will not go up this season and if we don't Johnson needs to go.

Why cant we all just wait and see if this season is a success or not before slagging the man off. Nobody knows whats going to happen. We are capable of gaining 16 points from out next 7 games or we could get 8 points.

Exactly! Totally agree with you

Ive said it before, I can be rather critical at times and down the years have inherited the pessismistic attitude adopted by many City fans, but the one thing we have to do is look at the job he has done sice he came here.

He has turned us into a bottom of the league team into what soon good be a top two team, with virtually no money.

Yes he makes mistakes, as most manager do. If every manager was given the boot every time they made an error you'd be changed managers every month!

Lets give him our support, who kows? if we all pull in the same direction we may actually get out of this league!!

It would be churlish to be too critical of a man who has taken us on a decent FA cup run, a lengthy, if ultimately disappointing JPT run and got us within touching distance of an automatic promotion place.

I take on board reservations ref loan signings/tactics/substitutions etc, but no one moaned last week after Jevons replaced Andrews after less than 1/2 hour(except probably Andrews!!) and won the game nearly getting a second City hattrick in the process.

I think the time for analysis is in May, when we are either relieved, extremely happy and looking for directions to Upton Park, or p*ssed off and wondering if we can have a beer in Walsall's social club again!!

Until then, despite the disappointments, we have got to focus on the main objective, backing the lads and winning promotion.

It would be churlish to be too critical of a man who has taken us on a decent FA cup run, a lengthy, if ultimately disappointing JPT run and got us within touching distance of an automatic promotion place.

I take on board reservations ref loan signings/tactics/substitutions etc, but no one moaned last week after Jevons replaced Andrews after less than 1/2 hour(except probably Andrews!!) and won the game nearly getting a second City hattrick in the process.

I think the time for analysis is in May, when we are either relieved, extremely happy and looking for directions to Upton Park, or p*ssed off and wondering if we can have a beer in Walsall's social club again!!

Until then, despite the disappointments, we have got to focus on the main objective, backing the lads and winning promotion.

That would be acceptable if we were playing well - which we aren't - not at home anyway. I don't have the time (or the patience!) to follow City to away games, so all I've seen this season is our home form - which, for my money, hasn't been anything to write home about.

It's all very well saying we played well against Premiership and Championship opposition, but the people raising this excuse as an example of our play are the same people who are saying the Gas result doesn't matter because it's not the league.

You can't have it both ways - either cup games are important or they aren't.

I admit that Johnson is not my favourite manager, but I really do believe that he doesn't know what his best side is. Neither do I think he knows how to pick a team that can get behind the defence of a team that comes to the Gate for a point - which most do.

We are so inconsistent, it is almost embarrassing that we are STILL within reach of automatic promotion - but I believe that's more to do with the quality of the opposition than the quality of our play.

That would be acceptable if we were playing well - which we aren't - not at home anyway. I don't have the time (or the patience!) to follow City to away games, so all I've seen this season is our home form - which, for my money, hasn't been anything to write home about.

It's all very well saying we played well against Premiership and Championship opposition, but the people raising this excuse as an example of our play are the same people who are saying the Gas result doesn't matter because it's not the league.

I admit that Johnson is not my favourite manager, but I really do believe that he doesn't know what his best side is. Neither do I think he knows how to pick a team that can get behind the defence of a team that comes to the Gate for a point - which most do.

We are so inconsistent, it is almost embarrassing that we are STILL within reach of automatic promotion - but I believe that's more to do with the quality of the opposition than the quality of our play.

We are inconsistant but so are all the other teams in this division. Its only a matter of time before Scunny slip up. We are perfectly poised for an exciting end to the season and we are in a very good position still.

I still think we will finish in the top 2 if we can get our decent home form back.

Calm down panicky poo, it can't be helping your blood pressure!

too many people expect a quick fix and if the man doesn't do it the job in his 1st full season out the door, stick with the manager and over time they genrally succed.

watching the Football night on C5 last night, they had a thing about long serving managers, it showed that clubs who stick by their managers more often than not go on to have long-term success.

Johnson is the right man for the job, and I'd love for someone to suggest someone who is capable of doing a better job than what the man is doing right now!

Johnson has done nothing seriously wrong yet and so far has continued to improve the team as the season has progrssed, ok we have had a low against the Rovers, but after the highs against Coventry and Boro, I don't mind too much.

For heaven's sake...

Reading this forum is somewhat addictive, but so depressing. I sometimes despair.

This has been a riveting season. G Johnson is doing an excellent job. We have not had a better chance of promotion since we last went up. We did really well in the FA Cup. We made the final of the JPT.

General point - losing to Rovers is irritating, but largely irrelevant. These things happen. It's Cup football. It's always happened, and always will. If you can't take a bit of ribbing at work you shouldn't bother following football.

Since the turn of the year, we've had vital away wins at Oldham, Blackpool and Brighton, won at Coventry, had two cracking games against Boro and turned round a 2-0 against Tranmere. That's not bad for the third division. Perhaps, people watch too much prem and expect too much.

Please...let's have a bit of perspective.

Not so. I think you are allowing your personal dislike of Gary Johnson to cloud the facts.

We have the best home record of any team in the bottom two divisions with an average points per game yield of 2.25 per game. In all four divisions we have the fifth best home record: only Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and West Brom have better home records than ours. If that's not something to write home about, what is?

I would agree that the entertainment value hasn't always been that great, but after 9 years of watching previous manager's teams win 4 something one week and then get thumped by 5, 6 or 7 the next, and still not go up at the end of the season, I'll settle for a bit of boring, winning football if it gets us promotion.

I am at a complete loss to know what Gary Johnson has to do to win over some of his critics. Of course he has made mistakes, as any manager will, but his results record since Christmas 2005 has been outstanding. If we don't get promotion this season, then questions must and will be asked, and hopefully lessons learned. But May is the time to be having that debate, not now. 13 games left, and it's time to put aside the disappointment we all feel after Tuesday and get fully behind the team for the rest of the season.

For heaven's sake...

Reading this forum is somewhat addictive, but so depressing. I sometimes despair.

This has been a riveting season. G Johnson is doing an excellent job. We have not had a better chance of promotion since we last went up. We did really well in the FA Cup. We made the final of the JPT.

General point - losing to Rovers is irritating, but largely irrelevant. These things happen. It's Cup football. It's always happened, and always will. If you can't take a bit of ribbing at work you shouldn't bother following football.

Since the turn of the year, we've had vital away wins at Oldham, Blackpool and Brighton, won at Coventry, had two cracking games against Boro and turned round a 2-0 against Tranmere. That's not bad for the third division. Perhaps, people watch too much prem and expect too much.

I know we're not supposed to just post 'I agree', but I'd just like to say, I agree 100%. Particularly the bit about this forum being addictive but depressing. I logged on on Tuesday night, knowing I was going to have to wade through pages of irrational bile that would send my blood pressure soaring, but did so anyway, out of sheer force of habit. I was delighted to see that the forum had been shut down for the night.

Agreed with all your post, the players have to show at the gate that they are really up for a fight, and GJ needs to play with two wingers in a 4-4-2 game plan. "yes" we have a good home record, but not by playing good football, but by holding on and grinding games out. Forget the one offs cup matches it's the league is where the consistency is needed now. You cant help but admire teams like S****horpe and yeah Yeovile for their attacking flair.

Teams need to come to the gate in fear of a hiding, with the team up for it from the start, this way the crowd would give good backing, but if the football is poor, as has been in a lot of home games even though we have got results the crowds reaction goes to a low. How many posts have been on this forum with fans moaning how poor the crowd is and don't get behind the team, they need things to cheer about! To me the manager needs to be more of a motivater and improve on his game plan. We turn up for games thinking we have a devine right to win, or someone will turn it on, this is a team game, play like one!

For heaven's sake...

I don't think it has anything to do with perspective.

And you have just illustrated the point I made - in one breath you dismiss the Gas game as 'irrelevant' and then use the FA Cup run as an example of our good form! Plus, I note, apart from the cup games only one home game was mentioned - and we went 2-0 down in that!

If a side is at the top of a league and expecting to gain promotion, you would expect a bit of consistency in our performances. That hasn't happened. It's almost become a joke down at the Gate this season, wondering which team is going to turn up for the game - the one that can play or the one that can't string two passes together.

I do realise we are third tier, but that's no excuse for poor play. The main difference between the very top and us is the pace of the game, not necessarily the quality of the football.

Not so. I think you are allowing your personal dislike of Gary Johnson to cloud the facts.

We have the best home record of any team in the bottom two divisions with an average points per game yield of 2.25 per game. In all four divisions we have the fifth best home record: only Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and West Brom have better home records than ours. If that's not something to write home about, what is?

I would agree that the entertainment value hasn't always been that great, but after 9 years of watching previous manager's teams win 4 something one week and then get thumped by 5, 6 or 7 the next, and still not go up at the end of the season, I'll settle for a bit of boring, winning football if it gets us promotion.

I am at a complete loss to know what Gary Johnson has to do to win over some of his critics. Of course he has made mistakes, as any manager will, but his results record since Christmas 2005 has been outstanding. If we don't get promotion this season, then questions must and will be asked, and hopefully lessons learned. But May is the time to be having that debate, not now. 13 games left, and it's time to put aside the disappointment we all feel after Tuesday and get fully behind the team for the rest of the season.

I would agree that the entertainment value hasn't always been that great - key point.

This is exactly what I'm disappointed with. Yes, we have got results, though I believe it's more to do with the quality of the opposition than our ability to 'grind out' the result. But, I'm afraid I like to be entertained and, of the 14 league games I've seen at the Gate this season, I can't think of one where I can honestly say we won with a great performance - and I don't class coming back from 2-0 a 'great' performance!

...and before you ask me to choose whether I want good performances or promotion I would say I want both - why does it have to be either/or?

As for my 'personal dislike' of Johnson - how can I dislike him? I've never met him. My criticism and doubt about him stem from own observations and perceptions that:

...he's not as good a manager as he thinks he is - arrogance springs to mind

...his tactical awareness is weak

...in the main, his signings and loans have been poor

...he has sloping shoulders

I don't think it has anything to do with perspective.

And you have just illustrated the point I made - in one breath you dismiss the Gas game as 'irrelevant' and then use the FA Cup run as an example of our good form! Plus, I note, apart from the cup games only one home game was mentioned - and we went 2-0 down in that!

If a side is at the top of a league and expecting to gain promotion, you would expect a bit of consistency in our performances. That hasn't happened. It's almost become a joke down at the Gate this season, wondering which team is going to turn up for the game - the one that can play or the one that can't string two passes together.

I do realise we are third tier, but that's no excuse for poor play. The main difference between the very top and us is the pace of the game, not necessarily the quality of the football.

This is a bizarre reply for many reasons.

You need to read what I wrote, rather just make an assumption. I actually dismissed the Gas game as 'largely' irrelevant, but anyway...that's because it is a 'largely' pointless competition...unlike the FA Cup, which is one of the great competitions.

Also we lost 1-0 at home, but that's just nit picking.

What I expect of teams gaining promotion is consistency of result, not performance. The successful teams can grind out results. Some weeks it will be exciting, other weeks tedious and you'll still get something, some weeks you'll lose - that's football, especially at our level where players are more flawed. 46 games is a slog, a grind. (esp when you add in 10 or so cup ties) Teams may not be that talented at our level but they are fitter than ever and can be quite well organised. It makes it tough.

Too many of our fans think we should play like Barcelona every week and assume promotion is a right. It's damn hard work with lots of frustrations on the way. I just feel people need a reality check. It could be worse...we might be 14th in League Two!

Also, our home results have been excellent this season. Sorry we haven't won them all by 4-0 though....

I would agree that the entertainment value hasn't always been that great - key point.

This is exactly what I'm disappointed with. Yes, we have got results, though I believe it's more to do with the quality of the opposition than our ability to 'grind out' the result. But, I'm afraid I like to be entertained and, of the 14 league games I've seen at the Gate this season, I can't think of one where I can honestly say we won with a great performance - and I don't class coming back from 2-0 a 'great' performance!

...and before you ask me to choose whether I want good performances or promotion I would say I want both - why does it have to be either/or?

As for my 'personal dislike' of Johnson - how can I dislike him? I've never met him. My criticism and doubt about him stem from own observations and perceptions that:

...he's not as good a manager as he thinks he is - arrogance springs to mind

...his tactical awareness is weak

...in the main, his signings and loans have been poor

...he has sloping shoulders

name a decent manager who isn't arrongant?

as for his signings more of them have been good than bad,

This is a bizarre reply for many reasons.

You need to read what I wrote, rather just make an assumption. I actually dismissed the Gas game as 'largely' irrelevant, but anyway...that's because it is a 'largely' pointless competition...unlike the FA Cup, which is one of the great competitions.

Yes, and....? My point was that you 'dismiss' the gas result by saying the league is more important, yet point at the FA Cup games as illustrative of our 'good performances'. As I said, you can't have it both ways, either the results in'Cup' games are irrelevant or they're not. You can't pick and choose just because we played well in one and dire in the other.

Also we lost 1-0 at home, but that's just nit picking.

Ummm...? What game are we talking about and what did I say??

What I expect of teams gaining promotion is consistency of result, not performance. The successful teams can grind out results. Some weeks it will be exciting, other weeks tedious and you'll still get something, some weeks you'll lose - that's football, especially at our level where players are more flawed. 46 games is a slog, a grind. (esp when you add in 10 or so cup ties) Teams may not be that talented at our level but they are fitter than ever and can be quite well organised. It makes it tough.

Why can't we expect a good performance and good results? Why does it always have to be either/or? I can accept that some times we won't play well and maybe sometimes we'll win lucky, but the difference between our best performances and our worst is enormous, almost Jekyll and Hyde - I can't accept that as being expected of a team up for promotion.

Too many of our fans think we should play like Barcelona every week and assume promotion is a right. It's damn hard work with lots of frustrations on the way. I just feel people need a reality check. It could be worse...we might be 14th in League Two!

Why is it that the stock answer to anyone asking for a bit of quality in the football they watch is always that "the team are expected to play like <insert top team here> every week"? No, I don't expect that, I just expect my team to be able to pass the ball to a temamate and show some intelligence and creativity. Not a lot to ask, is it?

Also, our home results have been excellent this season. Sorry we haven't won them all by 4-0 though....

Again, the sarcastic throwaway remark intended to make the original poster look silly. Perhaps our home results have been excellent - it's a shame you can't say the same about the quality of the football, generally.

name a decent manager who isn't arrongant?

as for his signings more of them have been good than bad,

Point accepted. However, I have no objection to a manager being arrogant if his cv is top drawer and he has the history to back it up. But arrogance from a man who has taken a conference side to 2 promotions in the basement of professional football in this country is not exactly compelling, is it? Besides, his old club aren't doing too bad without him either, are they?

On his signings, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, a lot of the loan signings Johnson made were poor and did nothing to enhance the squad.

Point accepted. However, I have no objection to a manager being arrogant if his cv is top drawer and he has the history to back it up. But arrogance from a man who has taken a conference side to 2 promotions in the basement of professional football in this country is not exactly compelling, is it? Besides, his old club aren't doing too bad without him either, are they?

On his signings, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, a lot of the loan signings Johnson made were poor and did nothing to enhance the squad.

Thank the lord they were only signed on loan, then. If you were really being picky you could say that they WERE only signed on loan with a view to seeing if they might be worth a permanent deal.

Thank the lord they were only signed on loan, then. If you were really being picky you could say that they WERE only signed on loan with a view to seeing if they might be worth a permanent deal.

So, is our scouting network and training setup so inept, that we have to play these players in our first team before we can decide if they are good enough or not?

Archived