IGNORED

The game that made the season..

andy g

If we end up winning promotion I reckon we'll look back on the season and say the key match wasnt a league game - it was that amazing performance away at Middleborough.

Ok, we'd had good performances before that, but the televised game was crucial to our promotion push for a number of reasons. For one, it reintroduced David Noble to the side, and we all know what an influence he can be. It was also the game that MADE Richard Keogh as a player - he really came of age then.

And it also gave us the confidence to play the patient, passing game which is winning us matches at the moment. There are probably other factors too, but they are the main ones i reckon.

Or was there another game that was more crucial ?

Rovers away.

Only one thing would have given me greater pleasure than beating the auld enemy and that is promotion. Losing was a bitter pill to swallow but it ensured that the team concentrate on thing only, Promotion. It was also a wake up call as to what disappointment actually means to the club and it's fans and gave extra impetus to not let the 'big one' slip away.

The fact that the final would have pushed the crucial Forest game into a congested mid week slot only serves to prove IMO that whilst loosing is hard, it's better to be shot of this competition, so there can be no excuses.

Away from football, the game also meant that Jamie Cooper had an excuse to go Cardiff and spark a campaign by City fans which has made me feel so proud to be a Bristolian and brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the good that dwells in all of us.

THE STORY NEEDS NATIONAL COVERAGE TO NOT ONLY HIGHLIGHT WHAT GREAT SETS OF SUPPORTER RESIDE IN BRISTOL, BUT THAT ALSO THAT WE ARE LEAVING BEHIND THE OUTDATED PERCEPTION OF US, HELD BY SO MANY, AND THAT FOOTBALL FANS ARE IN FACT A TERRIFIC BREED!!!!

Rovers away.

Only one thing would have given me greater pleasure than beating the auld enemy and that is promotion. Losing was a bitter pill to swallow but it ensured that the team concentrate on thing only, Promotion. It was also a wake up call as to what disappointment actually means to the club and it's fans and gave extra impetus to not let the 'big one' slip away.

The fact that the final would have pushed the crucial Forest game into a congested mid week slot only serves to prove IMO that whilst loosing is hard, it's better to be shot of this competition, so there can be no excuses.

Away from football, the game also meant that Jamie Cooper had an excuse to go Cardiff and spark a campaign by City fans which has made me feel so proud to be a Bristolian and brings a tear to my eye just thinking about the good that dwells in all of us.

THE STORY NEEDS NATIONAL COVERAGE TO NOT ONLY HIGHLIGHT WHAT GREAT SETS OF SUPPORTER RESIDE IN BRISTOL, BUT THAT ALSO THAT WE ARE LEAVING BEHIND THE OUTDATED PERCEPTION OF US, HELD BY SO MANY, AND THAT FOOTBALL FANS ARE IN FACT A TERRIFIC BREED!!!!

You could be right there that result may have given the players the kick up the arse they needed. Look what happened after we lost 2-1 at Yeovil we went on an 18 match unbeaten run. Go on lads you can do it!

Overall I would say Northampton away. With how the season had been until then, when Orr got himself sent off we could have disintegrated, lost that match and gone backwards. As it was, That game showed how we saw how GJ had built a team prepared to go out and fight for themselves and him and the club and supporters and that resiliance has been demonstrated many times since.

However, if we get up by one or two points, we might look back to the first game of the season and realise what a good result it was to take 3 points from Scunny!

Rovers away.

I second every word there. The rovers away game has, IMO won us promotion.

It also gave us the £150k from Sky to pay for Kevin Betsy and over the two legs enough gate money to buy Brian Wilson.

So when people start talking about cup competitions taking our eye off the ball, they should think hard.

No doubt the money from Cotterill (£2m) and a windfall (£2.1m) if LL moves in the close season to Man City for £8m as rumoured is being saved for next season if we're in The Championship.......ay, Steve??

Then again, it could pay for a new EE.

Which would you guys prefer?

It also gave us the £150k from Sky to pay for Kevin Betsy and over the two legs enough gate money to buy Brian Wilson.

So when people start talking about cup competitions taking our eye off the ball, they should think hard.

No doubt the money from Cotterill (£2m) and a windfall (£2.1m) if LL moves in the close season to Man City for £8m as rumoured is being saved for next season if we're in The Championship.......ay, Steve??

I'd prefer better players to improve the squad should we go up. The EE is fine as it is. Give about 3,000-3,500 to away fans next season if we go up and we will have a great atmosphere.

No question here. Money to strengthen the squad aand consolidate if we go up. I don`t fancy watching lge 1 footie from a nice new EE.

PDG

Although probably not the main defining moment of our season, if we go up I'll count Northampton home as very important. We'd just lost to Rovers, the shit was flying and we really needed a win as a pick-me-up. We didn't win comfortably, but we played well, got the 3 points and the crowd were backing the team all the way.

Let's have total support and belief for the last 11 games! :city:

Forest losing at home to Donny was the game. All of a sudden within the blink of an eye and a bit of luck we could be 8 points clear of them by next Tuesday night. They know they've messed up bigtime and it is now in our hands. Time to step up to the table Bristol City.

Archived