IGNORED

The ref today

Rocky

This was a topic of conversation i had with a couple of fine co-pilots on the way to Saltergate on Wed.

The answer, IMO, is to find some way of replicating the level of respect shown to rugby referees, and it has to start at the very top of the tree. Week in week out we are shown highly paid professional footballers going nose to nose with officials, argueing over decisions etc etc. This is mimicked week in week out at amatuer level which is the breeding ground for young referees trying to climb the league ladders. Fact is their are not enough officials in the proffesional game of a high enough standard to cover the four divisions. The best are fast tracked to the Prem and then the standard will fall the lower you go through the leagues.

It is a sad state of affairs to have to admit that there are some very poor officials at FL 1&2 matches but the fact is, thats the best there is until we can encourage more youngsters who are prepared to fight through all the carp they have to face at grass roots level matches.

It doesn`t help that when you do get decent officials they are classed as being over the hill at a relatively young age. Tale Collina, for instance, forced to retire at a time when he was arguably the best referee in the world.

EI EI EIO UP THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE WE GO

WHEN WE GET PROMOTION

THIS IS WHAT WE`LL SING

WE ARE CITY WE ARE CITY

JOHNSON IS OUR KING

EEEEEEEEEI EEEEEEEEEEEI EEEEEEEEEEIO

YES I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE.....CUE THE SUMMER OF `07 MOTHER OF ALL PARTIES

PDG

Archived