IGNORED

Taking the Old Man

HambrookRed

Will he be dissapointed !

My old man introduced me years ago and we went to many games together, most of which i cant remember. Now i have managed to get him to come along with me this evening and enjoy the flowing passing style of football i have been raving about for months.

I fear I have set him up for a big dissapointment.

Anyone tell me what the noise / football was like 15 years back ( 1985 - 1992 ish )

My old man introduced me years ago and we went to many games together, most of which i cant remember. Now i have managed to get him to come along with me this evening and enjoy the flowing passing style of football i have been raving about for months.

Anyone tell me what the noise / football was like 15 years back ( 1985 - 1992 ish )

my first game was in 92, in the equivalent to the championship - and for that and the following season, the crowds were high (17k first game - 2-1 defect to Derby) and the games exciting. Then, we got rubbish and from second half of 1993 until the promotion season in 96/97 - we were absolutely dire. Then, one season of being crap in the first division following several seasons of playing fairly average football in front of average crowds for average managers. Right now - we're playing best football since John Ward; reason why some of the moany old men on here complain about it is a: moaners always like to pretend that the past was some fantastic romantic age of free-flowing football (rather than marvin harriot and dave martin), and b: we don't use the wings and fullbacks so much anymore, and i'll concede that overlaps and crosses might be more pleasing on the eye than the more possession based game through the middle that we take now.

and finally suntan, your old man wouldnt have had me sitting next to him shouting nonsense so its bound to me 10 times more entertaining tonight as a result. .RED SHIRTS!!!!!

my first game was in 92, in the equivalent to the championship - and for that and the following season, the crowds were high (17k first game - 2-1 defect to Derby) and the games exciting. Then, we got rubbish and from second half of 1993 until the promotion season in 96/97 - we were absolutely dire. Then, one season of being crap in the first division following several seasons of playing fairly average football in front of average crowds for average managers. Right now - we're playing best football since John Ward; reason why some of the moany old men on here complain about it is a: moaners always like to pretend that the past was some fantastic romantic age of free-flowing football (rather than marvin harriot and dave martin), and b: we don't use the wings and fullbacks so much anymore, and i'll concede that overlaps and crosses might be more pleasing on the eye than the more possession based game through the middle that we take now.

and finally suntan, your old man wouldnt have had me sitting next to him shouting nonsense so its bound to me 10 times more entertaining tonight as a result. .RED SHIRTS!!!!!

So basically, my old man stopped going just as it got bad, i never knew he was so fickle ! :disapointed2se:

I'm sure he will enjoy your usual "banter"

SECOND BALL !

Bob Taylor, Alan Walsh, Jacki, Joe Jordan as manager a full up East End Freight Rovers finals and promotion it was pretty good as I remember it still got the programmes from the Sheffield Utd playoff semi in 1988 with Carl Shutt's autograph

Bob Taylor, Alan Walsh, Jacki, Joe Jordan as manager a full up East End Freight Rovers finals and promotion it was pretty good as I remember it still got the programmes from the Sheffield Utd playoff semi in 1988 with Carl Shutt's autograph

SO what your saying is

"Yes, he's going to be dissapointed".

:noexpression:

SO what your saying is

"Yes, he's going to be dissapointed".

:noexpression:

No not really maybe I've just got rose tinted glasses on. That was when I started going with friends and didn't always have to stand with my dad and little brother. We're 2nd and league tables don't lie and we do play some good stuff at times, just need to take our chances maybe

No not really maybe I've just got rose tinted glasses on. That was when I started going with friends and didn't always have to stand with my dad and little brother. We're 2nd and league tables don't lie and we do play some good stuff at times, just need to take our chances maybe

Well i just hope its not a boring draw, obviously a win is crucial, but anice performance for my old man would be great, can you fix it Jim ?

god, i'm sure your dad must of loved the great passing style football on the pitch tonight.

Mate, you probabley scarred your dad for life :noexpression:

YateRed - Promise me you'll take your old man to more games!

Presuming City pick theirselves for Saturday and this was just a blip, the Forest game at the Gate at the end of the month is going to be massive. Next 2 games are vitally important, Forest have 2 home games (Gills and Cheltenham) and you have 2 away games - Will the gap still be 4 points come 31st March?

Damn exciting I tell thee

can't blame him for not wanting to go back, 2 see that after 15 years away is hardly inspiring!

He commented on the first 20 minutes and see we looked as if we were trying to play football, which was nice. He did however also say that sometimes you just need to play "3rd division football"......he said we looked like we thought we were Chelsea....and we are not....his words not mine.

I have to admit as it turned out i think he was right, alot of the time we were going sideways and backwards when we should have been putting balls into the box.

Oh well, hes vowed to return vs Rotherham but only if we are promoted pre kick off :o

He commented on the first 20 minutes and see we looked as if we were trying to play football, which was nice. He did however also say that sometimes you just need to play "3rd division football"......he said we looked like we thought we were Chelsea....and we are not....his words not mine.

I have to admit as it turned out i think he was right, alot of the time we were going sideways and backwards when we should have been putting balls into the box.

Oh well, hes vowed to return vs Rotherham but only if we are promoted pre kick off :o

It's unfortunate your father didn't get to see a City victory last night.

I have a question though; I'm curious, does he not go simply because he doesn't want to?

It's unfortunate your father didn't get to see a City victory last night.

I have a question though; I'm curious, does he not go simply because he doesn't want to?

Well now, a good question and one i was searching for the answer too last night.

Basically, he stopped going when he had too many work commitments and myself and my brothers standard costing alot of money ( basically when we became annoying teenagers ).

He came back briefly for 3 or 4 games in 2000 but was so dissapointed with the style of football being played that he has never bothered since.

I guess he decided to play golf instead, his words were " golf is £20 and if I'm playing sh*t i'll just go and have a pint. This game costs £20 and i sit here hoping it will get better, when i should just go and have a pint."

He's no shakespeare, thats for sure :)

Archived