IGNORED

pathetic

Keepers Ball

Before kick off we were second in the table and had a chance to go seven points clear of Forest and really get S****horpe looking over their shoulders.Mouth watering you might think.....

yeah for 13000 of us......

...so where are the rest of us ???

It really is pathetic that the 7th largest city in England that boasts a high population can only churn out 13000 for a night match at a club that is pushing for promotion.

For Christ sake the weather wasnt even that bad !!!

I'm sorry to say i feel quite embarrassed of "Bristolian Passion" because it seems to me there is hardly any.

Before kick off we were second in the table and had a chance to go seven points clear of Forest and really get S****horpe looking over their shoulders.Mouth watering you might think.....

yeah for 13000 of us......

...so where are the rest of us ???

It really is pathetic that the 7th largest city in England that boasts a high population can only churn out 13000 for a night match at a club that is pushing for promotion.

For Christ sake the weather wasnt even that bad !!!

I'm sorry to say i feel quite embarrassed of "Bristolian Passion" because it seems to me there is hardly any.

Agreed, now can you tell me something I don't know and how you, the 'Club' are proactively attempting to address the situation?

Agreed, now can you tell me something I don't know and how you, the 'Club' are proactively attempting to address the situation?

Well I started years ago with my Son.Drummed it into his head that he was a Bristolian,that it was no point in supporting Man U and took him to Ashton Gate.It stopped him wanting a Man U shirt and made him excited when I bought him the new strip and took him to matches.If more parents did that instead of "chucking a Chelsea Shirt at little Johnny" and being happy with SkySports it would make a huge difference.

Apart from that there is nothing because unfortunately when it comes to Passion in football the West country is apathetic

Maybe the result tells you something about why? we were pathetic against Brentford having gone one nil up against a useless team, tonight it appears we did the same...and this time we got stung. Having seen the brentford game i could see this result a mile away. We could have had promotion 'almost; sitting in the bag but not quite zipped up tonight, we were playing a team who had won one match in 14 games and hadnt won in 9, and yet we lost. I nearly posted about how useless we were against Brentford but i knew the happy clappers would be out saying who cares about the performance we won and we are second....well this is the exact reason why i care about the standard of performance when we win games, if you don't perform (even if you win) sooner or later you are going to get caught out. Now the chance to go up automatically is wide open again, we must improve before Forest or its the same old story again,,,3rd place.

Call this a moan, call it what you like, if your not extremely peeved with losing tonight, enough to have a moan then maybe this is the reason city keep cocking it up season after season, because fans accept it without having a go.

Well I started years ago with my Son.Drummed it into his head that he was a Bristolian,that it was no point in supporting Man U and took him to Ashton Gate.It stopped him wanting a Man U shirt and made him excited when I bought him the new strip and took him to matches.If more parents did that instead of "chucking a Chelsea Shirt at little Johnny" and being happy with SkySports it would make a huge difference.

Apart from that there is nothing because unfortunately when it comes to Passion in football the West country is apathetic

Chap, upmost respect.

I'm as peeved as you mate.

Frustrated and angry mate.

I took youngsters to the game tonight BRISTOLIANS, they found it better to mess around than watch a truly great game of football. Where was the passion on the pitch?

If more parents did that instead of "chucking a Chelsea Shirt at little Johnny" and being happy with SkySports it would make a huge difference.

Totally agree and I think there's a certain amount of lazy parenting where it's simple to just do whatever shuts them up.

I think there's one problem fairly unique to Bristol - a very large proportion of people who live in Bristol aren't actually Bristolians.

With two big Universities and a massive service industry, many people move here for work or uni and stay after - and they already have allegiances elsewhere so if they have kids they're less likely to bring them up as City fans. I've worked in quite a few different offices around Bristol, big and small, and generally something like 2 or 3 out of 10 people will be Bristolians.

I took youngsters to the game tonight BRISTOLIANS, they found it better to mess around than watch a truly great game of football. Where was the passion on the pitch?

Youngsters !! If you took more than one then its to be expected.Young kids like to fart about.Thats natural but it soon goes.

I think there's one problem fairly unique to Bristol - a very large proportion of people who live in Bristol aren't actually Bristolians.

You got that bang on, mate. Had conversation with many 'Football' fans who habituate here, support other 'Club's', parent's not from here, mine included.

Could have winded up a sagger for example... fortune favoured me...them off in Bath at the time..

Still reckon this ain't a Footballing City, traditionally middle class, and that's where our problem lies...

Not enough heritage, father-to-son tradition.... not enough history....

Hurt's me to say it bruv.

Our Rugby Club does ok though..

Totally agree and I think there's a certain amount of lazy parenting where it's simple to just do whatever shuts them up.

With two big Universities and a massive service industry, many people move here for work or uni and stay after - and they already have allegiances elsewhere so if they have kids they're less likely to bring them up as City fans. I've worked in quite a few different offices around Bristol, big and small, and generally something like 2 or 3 out of 10 people will be Bristolians.

Cant quite agree mate.There are plenty of Bristolians to warrant a better attendence.

I knew this Scouser years ago who had worked up and down the country in practicallt every City.he made a statement which i found quite embarrassed.

It went along the lines of..

"I have never been to a City where so many different football shirts are worn as in Bristol.Liverpool, Man U,Leeds,Newcastle etc etc."He even mention ed Blackburn as at the time they were holders of Prem League trophy.

Ok we are in a lower league but back then Leeds and Newcastle had gone through lean times in the 80's and early 90's so thats no excuse.

Thats how I got into it and when I have kids that is how I plan to get them into it.

Sadly so many kids are to happy to sit down and watch SS, I would rather they were Gas than United I think.

Our Rugby Club does ok though..

Yet has an average attendance less (don't quote me on that but you get the point) than our 3rd rate football team. Considering our lack of success over the years our crowds are ok, and will rise considerably if we get to the Championship.

We had more than Championship promotion chasing Preston tonight for example, and as said above we had virtually no visiting supporters to boost the total.

Ive said it before, I'll say it again.

Bristol City FC does not have a big fan base.

The extra 6,000-25,000 who turn up for big games and finals are just as bad as those who go out of their way to watch Man U when on TV.

The sad thing is, me banging on about City all term this year at uni has made my Villa supporting mate follow City's results each week...he even thinks Murray is now a legend..

Yet when he has come to watch us, the football is poor, with lame mistakes being made that shouldnt happen with professionals.

Most of all worth noting, he said the football just isnt entertaining!

That, coming from someone who spent 2 years watching Plymouth home games..

Ive said it before, I'll say it again.

Bristol City FC does not have a big fan base.

The extra 6,000-25,000 who turn up for big games and finals are just as bad as those who go out of their way to watch Man U when on TV.

The sad thing is, me banging on about City all term this year at uni has made my Villa supporting mate follow City's results each week...he even thinks Murray is now a legend..

Yet when he has come to watch us, the football is poor, with lame mistakes being made that shouldnt happen with professionals.

Most of all worth noting, he said the football just isnt entertaining!

That, coming from someone who spent 2 years watching Plymouth home games..

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that we don't have a big fanbase. We have a huge fanbase imo, 1 that's pretty apathetic at the moment and fed up with league 1 football but still 1 of the biggest in the country. Far bigger than Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth to name a few in the Prem.

The last few paragraphs tell you most of the reasosn why a lot of our fanbase can't be arsed with Bristol City at the moment.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that we don't have a big fanbase. We have a huge fanbase imo, 1 that's pretty apathetic at the moment and fed up with league 1 football but still 1 of the biggest in the country. Far bigger than Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, Portsmouth to name a few in the Prem.

The last few paragraphs tell you most of the reasosn why a lot of our fanbase can't be arsed with Bristol City at the moment.

I'm talking real BCFC fans.

That, in my head, is a fan who will watch City week in week out (money allowing)..

Not those who say, ''We're shite at the mo. I aint going''...then...''Promotion game against Forest? Yehhhhhh''..

I must stress though, that you're excused if you've spent the last 20 years watching us being crap and have finally had enough.

My mate says, ''I aint going next week after that crap'', referring to the next home game. How can a City fan not want to attend a home game?!!

Sounds bonkers to me.

Yet has an average attendance less (don't quote me on that but you get the point) than our 3rd rate football team. Considering our lack of success over the years our crowds are ok, and will rise considerably if we get to the Championship.

We had more than Championship promotion chasing Preston tonight for example, and as said above we had virtually no visiting supporters to boost the total.

Rugby isn't as nationally popular as 'the traditional ''People's Game''. Certainly hasn't captured the modern age' imagine and been commercailly exploited like our's has. Genuine spirit amongst those folk's put our's to shame though, imo.

Preston, although having the history and heritage, traditional working class town - Stanley Matthews (?) and all that do not have our populous. Senventh biggest English City? Football being a status symbol? Need's sorting.

Bristol is actually the sixth largest English City. Preston's population is less than 150k so can't compareand certainly doesnt have the catchment area with Blackburn 7 miles away and Blackpool 15 plus all the other BIG north west clubs.

It's down to failure simple as - people in todays society WANT to be associated with SUCCESS not failure.

I'm talking real BCFC fans.

That, in my head, is a fan who will watch City week in week out (money allowing)..

Not those who say, ''We're shite at the mo. I aint going''...then...''Promotion game against Forest? Yehhhhhh''..

I must stress though, that you're excused if you've spent the last 20 years watching us being crap and have finally had enough.

My mate says, ''I aint going next week after that crap'', referring to the next home game. How can a City fan not want to attend a home game?!!

Sounds bonkers to me.

You're not talking about our fanbase or potential to grow then. Success equals more fans, look at Leeds for example. 40,000 guaranteed in the Prem, been getting less than half of that now they are down a division. Bet the other 20,000 say exactly the same as some of our fans.

If Bristol had a Premiership team 30,000 would turn out, same as any other big city Prem team so I don't think we can use Bristolian mentalities as an excuse, just the fact that our team is comparatively shite.

Rugby isn't as nationally popular as 'the traditional ''People's Game''. Certainly hasn't captured the modern age' imagine and been commercailly exploited like our's has. Genuine spirit amongst those folk's put our's to shame though, imo.

Preston, although having the history and heritage, traditional working class town - Stanley Matthews (?) and all that do not have our populous. Senventh biggest English City? Football being a status symbol? Need's sorting.

It seems to me that the only way to sort it is to get out of this blasted division, then the crowds will hopefully return on a regular basis. Many of the 'big' teams had poor attendances when they were in this league (Newcastle, 5,000 was it?).

About 10 years ago, when my eldest son, now 18, thought he was a ManU fan, I beat it out of him.

Brother... :clapping::clapping::clapping:

people in todays society WANT to be associated with SUCCESS not failure.

Yeah, I tend to get labelled ''liberal, hippie'' whenever I start about loyalty, integrety, character etc.

To an extent this is true, Nibor, but it should also be seen as an opportunity. I know plenty of people who happen to follow teams because they went to university in the city and somehow found themselves falling for the team there. Also, plenty of people who go to university in a city end up liking it, getting a job there and sticking around. I have no idea what our student prices are like but it is an area of potential support worth mining if we are not already doing so, given that - as you point out - this is a city with a substantial student population.

It doesn't help that something City have been quite outstanding at over many years is putting on crap displays as soon as a decent crowd comes in. It always seems to happen - and so those tempted to come along wonder what all the fuss is about and bugger off again.

Still, a win at the weekend and we'll really start to be in the run-in, and then I expect the crowds to swell if we're still in second.

It doesn't help that something City have been quite outstanding at over many years is putting on crap displays as soon as a decent crowd comes in. It always seems to happen - and so those tempted to come along wonder what all the fuss is about and bugger off again.

110% correct, lost count of how many times this happened, big crowd, big expectation, tonight had "be happy with a point" written all over it

fair point actually just had a quick think of people around the office I work, it's an engineering consultancy firm which is mainly filled with men, around 90 people in the office and I can think of probably 10 people that support either City or Rovers in any capacity and I'm not talking about just regular fans, these include a number of part-timers who only turn up for Rovers & Boro games of those 10, 3 people go to games on a normal basis, 2 of us being season ticket holders.

however......I can think of other people in the office who support teams such as 2xNorwich, Spurs, Middlesboro, Arsenal, Stevenage, Birmingham City, Liverpool and some Welsh fans (yikes) among other teams, now these aren't glory hunters, they are just their local teams, Bristol just attracts people from all over the country and despite the size of the City a heck of alot of people don't have any interest in Bristol Footbal.......and lets not forgot the amount of polish people in Bristol? something stupid like 30k isn't it? plus you have the inhabitants of Easton, St Pauls, Barton Hill and their various nationalites.

City crowds in the last few years haven't really changed and are actually alot higher than when we last had a few seasons in the championship, in all honestly I generally think the 11k-13k fans is our main support, there is alot of other fans out their who will come if it is a decent team we are playing and for the swansea/forest games they will come down, but until we get promoted the Bristol Public just isn't inspired by Bristol City regardless of results/performances

in fairness after games like tonight? who can blame them?

Archived