IGNORED

Bristol City 2 - 3 Bradford City

Jay

Keogh, Carey McCombe and McAllister, must play as a back 4 against Crewe.

It was our most effectve back four earlier this year.

Betsy can show some pretty touches, but ask yourself this. Why was he still languishing in the old 4th division at 28 if he's that good.

We will be very, very lucky to strengthen our current squad for less than £4/500k.Promotion and even doing OK, will cost millions.

Artus is the worst kept secret in the club, the midfield has needed him for 6 months, so what if some midfielder gets egg on their face, promotion is the game.......9 matches and closing.

Be nice to see the lad get a chance but, unless we're up with games left, I don't see it happening.

Some interesting comments as ever, not least your reticience on your preferred 3-5-2 that failed woefully yesterday. In fairness, I think this is down to the personnel. Betsy and Wilson have both failed to impress me. They seem to have no defensive qualities and little attacking threat. At least (Mr Invisible) JMW was a good attacking option even if he can't defend.

Smith up front was awful. Johnson has a worrying habit of bringing in loanees who are terrible. This is odd since on occasion (Sankofa) they do go on to better things.

I'm surprised you mark Russell so high. OK, he scored a goal which the rest of the midfield put together didn't look remotely like achieving. However, Russell's passes were very poor. He often gave the ball away in easy situations.

I do worry that good teams like Forest and Yeovil will exploit our weaknesses even more than poor teams like Bradford. We need to change the formation and/or personnel ASAP or wave auto-promotion goodbye.

This is my first post here, and last night my 5th visit to Ashton Gate. To be honest I am already finding it hard to get enthused about watching another game.

Every supporter I have come across at City has been friendly knowledgeable and obviously loyal. I would love to ask Gary a few questions about last night, the biggest would be "Why should I continue to support and yet always be disappointed"? If my performance at work was as poor as last nights display I would be out of a job!

Yes if you were second amongst your direct competition and had one bad day you would be fired wouldn't you? um no.

If Artus got chucked in and we lost imagine the criticism for GJ? In all honesty i believe we finally have a manager whopicks the best team he can. Becaus efrankly he wants to do well for himself.

Guest ashtonyate
This is my first post here, and last night my 5th visit to Ashton Gate. To be honest I am already finding it hard to get enthused about watching another game.

Every supporter I have come across at City has been friendly knowledgeable and obviously loyal. I would love to ask Gary a few questions about last night, the biggest would be "Why should I continue to support and yet always be disappointed"? If my performance at work was as poor as last nights display I would be out of a job!

Good advice go and watch another team this lot will break you heart I have had 50+ years watching it

Good advice go and watch another team this lot will break you heart I have had 50+ years watching it

*cough* second in the league *cough*

Yes last nights performance was poor, but we had won five in a row before hand.

My point is, there are going to be blips, we are in a crappy league where teams fighting for there lives will cause upsets like Bradford did last night. Yes the performance can improve, but if anyone knows that its the players and management. For me we were caught out by 3 mistakes for their goals. First was a wonder strike, second and third mistakes by Basso and Betsy. Apart from that they did not really trouble us.

I think a return to 4-4-2, is needed immediately, especially at home. I agree with BB in restoring the back four, Keogh, McCombe, Carey and Macallister.

As soon as Murray is fit he should be on the right, with Noble and Russell in the middle. I know i'll get criticised, but JMW should come back in on the left, he is naturally left footed and will add some balance to the side. Until brooker is fit, Jevons and Showumni up front. That would be my ideal home formation, the 3-5-2 works away from home, as it allows a defensive line when under pressure. I just think we seem to be trying to be too complicated, passing, tactics, you name it.

I watched the highlights of Sunderland vs Stoke, Sunderland played a 4-4-2 and were simply outstanding. Simple passing, simple wing play, defending. It was just back to basics and although they drew, it was only Stoke resiliance, which got the draw.

Some interesting comments as ever, not least your reticience on your preferred 3-5-2 that failed woefully yesterday.

If you look at the formations I suggested before last nights game 4-4-2 & 3-5-2 but with Carey & McAllister restored.They would have made a big difference over ninety minutes.Whatever the formation the players need to perform and not make daft mistakes like Betsy's & Basso's.

In fairness, I think this is down to the personnel. Betsy and Wilson have both failed to impress me. They seem to have no defensive qualities and little attacking threat. At least (Mr Invisible) JMW was a good attacking option even if he can't defend.

I think Wilosn is a RWB, not a left winger or LWB and it's a bit puzzling that when we played BHA Wilson was a right winger and Betsy left, then, when they play at wing back they're swapped.......although not at Blackpool :noexpression:

Smith up front was awful.

With his record are we entitled to expect different? Another in a long line of never will bes.Corr, Savage, Quinn etc, etc

Johnson has a worrying habit of bringing in loanees who are terrible.

Agreed

This is odd since on occasion (Sankofa) they do go on to better things.

Started well but got worse for us

I'm surprised you mark Russell so high. OK, he scored a goal which the rest of the midfield put together didn't look remotely like achieving. However, Russell's passes were very poor. He often gave the ball away in easy situations.

One shot, one goal and I don't think his passing was any worse than the others.....having said that, they were poor second half as well.

I do worry that good teams like Forest and Yeovil will exploit our weaknesses even more than poor teams like Bradford. We need to change the formation and/or personnel ASAP or wave auto-promotion goodbye.

Put a quality striker in the side and the left winger we've been crying out for, for ages and we'd be fine.

I think a return to 4-4-2, is needed immediately, especially at home. I agree with BB in restoring the back four, Keogh, McCombe, Carey and Macallister.

As soon as Murray is fit he should be on the right, with Noble and Russell in the middle. I know i'll get criticised, but JMW should come back in on the left, he is naturally left footed and will add some balance to the side. Until brooker is fit, Jevons and Showumni up front. That would be my ideal home formation, the 3-5-2 works away from home, as it allows a defensive line when under pressure. I just think we seem to be trying to be too complicated, passing, tactics, you name it.

Murray is out for "another two weeks" and has been for a month!

As for our midfield, GJ view there was "if it isn't broke, break it," because it isn't performing at 75% of last seasons standard

i meant if* he was fit, sorry typo.

In fairness we have won 5 on the trot with that midfield, and away from home the wing back system works very well. My argument is in regard to playing at home, where we should be attacking more effectivly, where 4-4-2, would be better deployed.

Archived