IGNORED

City want a loan striker, but Best was never an option

greenun

According to today's EP, Gary Johnson is on the lookout for a loan signing, before the March 22 deadline, but only if they want to join City on a permament basis thereafter.

Unfortunately, FIFA rules state that a player can only be loaned to 2 clubs during a season, procluding any approach by City for Southampton's Leon Best, who has already appeared for Bournemouth and Yeovil.

Who the hell is available anyway?

Unfortunately, FIFA rules state that a player can only be loaned to 2 clubs during a season, procluding any approach by City for Southampton's Leon Best, who has already appeared for Bournemouth and Yeovil.

Can anyone confirm this mystical rule?

[qupte]Unfortunately, FIFA rules state that a player can only be loaned to 2 clubs during a season, procluding any approach by City for Southampton's Leon Best, who has already appeared for Bournemouth and Yeovil.

Nathan Jones already has :englandsmile4wf:

Nathan Jones already has :englandsmile4wf:

I believe the FIFA rule is that players can only play for 2 clubs in a season (it was much talked about during the Mascherano fiasco).

I thought it applied to loan signings and posted so a while back w.r.t Best but many people corrected me.

There are a number of players who've played for more than 2 clubs this season due to loans - our own Dave Partridge being one obvious one.

Any striker at any club that has nothing to play for (ie not getting relegated or promoted) is available if we are willing to spend the money and do what Forest did with Tyson.

however.......how many clubs actually have nothing to play for at this point in the season??? and actually have a decent striker who will improve our team worth signing? regardless of how much he will cost?

looking at League One, there isn't any......

League Two........pass

Conference...........waste of time

find a name and it maybe worth discussing

however.......how many clubs actually have nothing to play for at this point in the season??? and actually have a decent striker who will improve our team worth signing? regardless of how much he will cost?

League Two........pass

Sharp S****horpe 23

Porter Oldham 19

Constantine Port Vale 17

Varney Crewe 17

Trundle Swansea 15

Byfield Millwall 14

Greenacre Tranmere 14

Maynard Crewe 13

Hawley Carlisle 12

Heffernan Doncaster 11

Holt Nottm Forest 11

Kuffour Brentford 11

Taylor-Fletcher Huddersfield 11

Beckett Huddersfield 10

Sharp S****horpe 23 - unavailable - chasing auto promotionPorter Oldham 19 - unavailable - chasing play-offs

Constantine Port Vale 17 - JUST NO!

Varney Crewe 17 - unavailable - still chasing play-offs

Trundle Swansea 15 - Wouldn't leave Swans for us and would we actually want him?

Byfield Millwall 14 - unavailable - chasing play-offs and too old

Greenacre Tranmere 14 - unavailable - chasing play-offs

Maynard Crewe 13 - unavailable - chasing play-offs

Hawley Carlisle 12 unavailable - chasing play-offs

non better scoring record this season than jevons

Heffernan Doncaster 11 - wouldn't come back

Holt Nottm Forest 11 - been their done it

Kuffour Brentford 11 - No

Taylor-Fletcher Huddersfield 11 - wouldn't say he's any better than what we currently have?

Beckett Huddersfield 10 - No

so looking through the top scorers in this league.........the only slight possible signing would be Taylor-Flecter? who although decent think is no better than what we have

League Two........pass

Conference is a waste of time? I guess Southend better get rid of Freddy Eastwood then. A young non league forward who's scoring lots like Steve Morison at Stevenage might well be worth a look.

Karl Hawley is a good example of a league one player whose club realistically have nothing to play for and would improve our squad.

But the overriding point is simple, we need to score more goals up front to get promoted and we don't look like doing it. We should have done this in January and if we had approached the window differently and gone after multiple targets instead of wasting time on one who wasn't interested we could have got one. Identifying players is what we're paying GJ's brother for, not me!

I heard a forest fan somewhere, on BBC I think, talking about them loaning cotts....i did think then that he would be a great catch for us right now...

Swansea got rebuffed yesterday.

Draw a line from Cheltenham, through Swindon, and then down to Bournemouth.

You can't tell me that there isn't a wealth of talent playing non-league football, and a player waiting to be given the chance in the big time!!. within the West Country, local talent, talent where pride comes before cash, like Eastwood and Sharp.

Where or what are our scouts doing??.

Most likely too late for this season, but for next, if we are in the same division!!.

I'm still surprised, given the Latvian connection, that we haven't had a couple of Baltic players either on loan or trial.

And maybe Popisil should of been given the get out clause he wanted.

You must really start to ask, just exactly is this club run??.

:phone:

Conference is a waste of time? I guess Southend better get rid of Freddy Eastwood then. A young non league forward who's scoring lots like Steve Morison at Stevenage might well be worth a look.

Karl Hawley is a good example of a league one player whose club realistically have nothing to play for and would improve our squad.

But the overriding point is simple, we need to score more goals up front to get promoted and we don't look like doing it. We should have done this in January and if we had approached the window differently and gone after multiple targets instead of wasting time on one who wasn't interested we could have got one. Identifying players is what we're paying GJ's brother for, not me!

no, conference isn't a waste of time, however if you look at Eastwood, he went striaght into a League 2 team and scored and had some exerpience before stepping straight into league 1 and then forward, conference is great for a long term signing, but maybe not so for a immediate results and goals which is what people want/expect.

besides if we are going to look at a conference striker who is scoring goals, then surely we should be looking at recalling Benyon who is scoring down there.

Karl Hawley no doubt a good signing though obviously not cheap, the main sticking point though which makes him signing unrealistic is that Carlise are only 4 points off the play-offs, there is no way they could sell him now with 9 games to go, for starters their board would get lynched by their fans. if they were further down the league then if would be possible.

Johnson has been identifiying players, but it's not just about finding who you want, it's about getting them in, Holt and the hearts bloke were the only ones that were publcially mentioned it's highly unlikely that they were the only ones we were after. Andrews was a target and was brought in has scored important goals for us, but has then been unlucky with injury.

The most important thing in the window was getting wingers in, he did that, strikers were next on the list, he got one in but has been unlucky with injuries, however as we have found their isn't that much realistically available, it is highly likely that Johnson has found the same situation.

Karl Hawley no doubt a good signing though obviously not cheap, the main sticking point though which makes him signing unrealistic is that Carlise are only 4 points off the play-offs, there is no way they could sell him now with 9 games to go, for starters their board would get lynched by their fans. if they were further down the league then if would be possible.

Carlisle have no chance of going up and well they know it, they're happy to be doing so well and Hawley has either a few months or just over a year left on his contract. Expectations at that club are lower for obvious reasons and with enough money we could certainly get him. I believe £400-£500k would get him (and even if it wasn't enough if you don't ask you don't get) and he's got pace and a great work rate - and he scores goals. None of our current strikers have that in one package.

Johnson has been identifiying players, but it's not just about finding who you want, it's about getting them in, Holt and the hearts bloke were the only ones that were publcially mentioned it's highly unlikely that they were the only ones we were after. Andrews was a target and was brought in has scored important goals for us, but has then been unlucky with injury.

Sorry, it's not unlikely that they were the only ones we were after because the exact same happened the January before. We need to take a leaf out of Forest's book when it comes to transfer signings on two counts. Do the work prior to the window so come Jan 1st it's a matter of signing a contract, and if we need to ignore the transfer window by abusing the loan system.

The most important thing in the window was getting wingers in, he did that, strikers were next on the list, he got one in but has been unlucky with injuries, however as we have found their isn't that much realistically available, it is highly likely that Johnson has found the same situation.

Andrews isn't good enough, sorry, and he was only ever cover for Jevons. Extending his loan was just a reaction to not getting a better player in.

Tom,

It is a FIFA rule concerning players registrations and applies to permanent transfers as well as loans.

See Article 5 of the Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players

Article 5 Registration

3. Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the

period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this

period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two

clubs.

Article 10 to do with loans of professionals states "....Any such loan is

subject to the same rules as apply to the transfer of players....."

A bit of a minefield but relatively clear?

This lad could be worth a look at, seems like he's a natural goalscorer...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...dge/6407453.stm

I have a colleague who is a Daggers fan and can't believe he didn't go in January. He said the same to me about mackail-smith before Peterborough picked him up as well.

A bit of a minefield but relatively clear?

It would seem to be however we've already seen several players like Dave Partridge, Jermaine Beckford, and Lee Camp play competitively for three clubs this season - without any special dispensation.

It would seem to be however we've already seen several players like Dave Partridge, Jermaine Beckford, and Lee Camp play competitively for three clubs this season - without any special dispensation.

I think the basis of it is with those players is that they can only play for 3 clubs in a season but no morethan that, i.e their parent club and 2 addition loan clubs.

I think....well kinda, well that seems to be the fact that the EP article is pointing towards.........I think

I think the basis of it is with those players is that they can only play for 3 clubs in a season but no morethan that, i.e their parent club and 2 addition loan clubs.

I think....well kinda, well that seems to be the fact that the EP article is pointing towards.........I think

The rules are far from clear and it wouldn't surprise me if the EP had it wrong, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if the FA had it wrong and those three players shouldn't have been able to play for the teams they did.

I am sure I heard somewhere that the some of these rules only apply to premier league teams. I don't think they have the same loan facility as non premier teams, unless it applys to keepers only, so unless the EP are trying to throw other teams off the scent, they may have been incorrect.

Si.

doesn't suprise me at all, don't think anyone really knows what's going on.

main thing is though and back to the orginal point, Leon Best, he actually came off the bench for Southampton against Cardiff, so why after just getting into the Saints team he would leave? especailly as he is out of contract till the end of the season.

If i was the player in question I'd see it as my possible last chance to establish myself at the club and try my best it take it and get a new contract at Southampton.

Archived