IGNORED

Playing Youngsters

bcfc seattle

Why don't we incorporate our Academy players into the squad more. Everytime I see ManU they seem to be playing at least one if not 5 youngsters. These players seem to get some amount of firsyt team experience over a couple years and boom are ready to be stars. We on the other hand never seem to give a run of games or even a spot on the bench to many of the younger players. Why not put Hawkins or Simpson on the bench and if the score allows put them in for 30 or so minutes. Or heck give someone a start once in a while. I think it would do wonders for morale among all the players and especially the reserves and academy players. Right now if I were a younger player I couldn't see what I would have to do to get in the squad.

Guest spanish fly

"Right now if I were a younger player I couldn't see what I would have to do to get in the squad" - how about play better than those in the first team squad which on reserve team displays they are not capable of doing - a couple might have a chance of becoming footballers but the majority are rubbish.

"Right now if I were a younger player I couldn't see what I would have to do to get in the squad" - how about play better than those in the first team squad which on reserve team displays they are not capable of doing - a couple might have a chance of becoming footballers but the majority are rubbish.

Coles Never got a chance?

Phillips Never got a chance?

Hill Never got a chance?

Brown Never got a chance?

Lita Never gets a chance?

Fortune Never gets a chance?

Coles Never got a chance?

Phillips Never got a chance?

Hill Never got a chance?

Brown Never got a chance?

Lita Never gets a chance?

Fortune Never gets a chance?

All of these players outside of Lita and fortune (both of whom I'd argue really haven't been given a chance) got their chance to breask into the squad 2 or more years ago. The only one you could argue about this year getting a chance is Woodman (who I'd have been starting instead of Bell since game 1).

Why is it a lot of the others seem poised to leave Jones, Big Kev, Clist, Marvin, etc.

I'd argue Danny really hasn't given anyone a decent look in the last two years outside of Woodman.

I'd argue Danny really hasn't given anyone a decent look in the last two years outside of Woodman.

Rosenior made 21 appearances last season - 22 in all, the record for a player still at the academy at the time (it has just been broken by Leroy). It was no part of the club's plan that he should leave.

The average age of the team so far this season is six months younger than last years.

Rosenior made 21 appearances last season - 22 in all, the record for a player still at the academy at the time (it has just been broken by Leroy). It was no part of the club's plan that he should leave.

..... and how many of Liams appearances were in the starting line up, It could well be that this was an underlying element to him wanting to move on.

Also with Leroy. To break the record of academy based appearances without making his league debut must be somewhat frustrating to the lad.

Wilson seems always to prefer to select his experienced players. This is a somewhat strange strategy for a manager of the only second division club with a 'Premier League' academy.

..... and how many of Liams appearances were in the starting line up, It could well be that this was an underlying element to him wanting to move on.

Also with Leroy. To break the record of academy based appearances without making his league debut must be somewhat frustrating to the lad.

Wilson seems always to prefer to select his experienced players. This is a somewhat strange strategy for a manager of the only second division club with a 'Premier League' academy.

Frustrating, yes, when looked at purely from the players' point of view which I don't doubt has been LR's take (complicated by noises off). LL seems to be more of a team player who has clearly worked hard on the weaknesses he spoke about when signing his three year deal last year; now he's really starting to look the part and genuinely challenging for a start before his nineteenth birthday next month; Woody's patience has also been rewarded by a run in the side.

The problem, of course, is that the manager's position is determined by more complex issues than just the programme of development for individual players; there is also the small matter of building a balanced squad that can live with the expectations of a promotion winning campaign. It is the balanced squad bit that I have some doubts about but that is addressed in other threads.

Archived