IGNORED

Crewe 0 - 1 City

Jay

Good reporting as usual;

Agree with you as regards to the MOTM, but Orr only just pipping Carey. The pair of them ran their socks off.

Also, seeing how Johnson can float the ball in from corners, why do we go and play the short corner, and end up losing the advantage and wasting it??.

:icecream:

Enoch Shows Tummy

For those of us with any finger nails left and mine went long ago, City, once again, left it until the death before claiming what could turn out to be a massive three points, particularly in light of other results.

Full report

Yes, Good stuff BB. Orr was outstanding. Took the game forward every time he got the ball, also Carey and McCombe were faultless. Very poor Crewe side though. My, how we need a striker!

4 at the back?

everytime they lined up it was with 3 at the back, with orr,mcoombe and carey, i might be wrong but everyone around me thought the same, ah well who cares we won.

Looking across the pitch it was a four and the idea was to morph into a three pronged attack with Showunmi & Wilson joining in.I don't think that worked and, at this level, it rarely does.

For me, go back to a 3-5-2 at Donnie hopefully with Brooker, Murray, Keogh & Betsy back in the squad.

Looking across the pitch it was a four and the idea was to morph into a three pronged attack with Showunmi & Wilson joining in.I don't think that worked and, at this level, it rarely does.

For me, go back to a 3-5-2 at Donnie hopefully with Brooker, Murray, Keogh & Betsy back in the squad.

To be honest fella I think you have been a little harsh on Smith giving him a 5. Whilst I agree he offered little in terms of a goal threat he did hold the ball up reasonably well, a little light weight at times but if you give Basso an 8 for doing very little I think maybe Smith derserves at least a 6?

Just trying to give the lad a fair rating compared to the ratings you have given his team mates because for me he didn't stand out as being that much worse than the other players.

N.B. Despite this defence of him I still don't think we should have signed him.

To be honest fella I think you have been a little harsh on Smith giving him a 5. Whilst I agree he offered little in terms of a goal threat he did hold the ball up reasonably well, a little light weight at times but if you give Basso an 8 for doing very little I think maybe Smith derserves at least a 6?

Just trying to give the lad a fair rating compared to the ratings you have given his team mates because for me he didn't stand out as being that much worse than the other players.

I agree. Smith didn't have any goal threat but he was playing the "Lone Ranger" role with his team mates being only in communication via phone for most of the first half. Smith did surprisingly well in the air but the flick-ons had no effect with nobody willing to run past him.

Enoch looked awful for the whole game. He seems to be unfit. I don't know if this is physical or he's another one with attittude problems? Perhaps he's just trying to work out Johnson's tactics like the rest of us.

Wilson started off well but faded to invisible in the second half.

I also thought the McCombe up front tactic could have damaged us. We went for the hoof-it-up-to-the-big-lad option but without someone able to support the big lad (Enoch was still sulking) it's just a waste of a ball.

Luckily, we managed to nick a goal but I can't help thinking it was despite the team formation not because of it.

And the last bit says it all.I think his contribution was negligible, whilst Basso could a least point to a clean sheet

I think he's getting a game because he's doing the same job as Bas did - running his socks off and making their defenders release the ball under pressure, ending up hoofing it back to us more often than not. It aint pretty but it tends to work.

In fairness, if we valued work ethic over talent and goal scoring then Bas should have been given a two year contract as I can honestly say he was far better at it than Smith.

I agree. Smith didn't have any goal threat but he was playing the "Lone Ranger" role with his team mates being only in communication via phone for most of the first half. Smith did surprisingly well in the air but the flick-ons had no effect with nobody willing to run past him.

I agree that our system and tactics isolated him and if we wanted the lone ranger up front why not play ES there and bring in JMW as Tonto on the left

Enoch looked awful for the whole game. He seems to be unfit. I don't know if this is physical or he's another one with attittude problems? Perhaps he's just trying to work out Johnson's tactics like the rest of us.

He's s striker.Play him there or leave him out

I also thought the McCombe up front tactic could have damaged us. We went for the hoof-it-up-to-the-big-lad option but without someone able to support the big lad (Enoch was still sulking) it's just a waste of a ball.

It probably had more to do with our desperation in the final third

Luckily, we managed to nick a goal but I can't help thinking it was despite the team formation not because of it.

Agreed and I think it's fair to say that we're a good team in two thirds of the field, most weeks.That's been the case for most of the season and that's why we haven't scored more than four goals in a League game.Losing our two main strikers for most of the season has been the problem and should we get promoted SB & ES should be 3rd & 4th choice striker at best.Ability's no good without reliability.

And the last bit says it all.I think his contribution was negligible, whilst Basso could a least point to a clean sheet

I have to disagree. His contribution was making sure the ball didn't come straight back at our defence with Crewe in posession. This sort of contribution usually goes unoticed but an important one all the same. Pity he missed that gaping goal with his shot, that as you said yesterday in the pub, was going miles wide anyway! (I didn't introduce myself to you but I was chatting to you with Wilksi and Muttley after the game.)

To be honest its not that I don't see 5 as a fair judgment its becuase it is so far off the other players ratings thats the problem. For me he didn't stand out as being that bad.

I have to disagree. His contribution was making sure the ball didn't come straight back at our defence with Crewe in posession. This sort of contribution usually goes unoticed but an important one all the same. Pity he missed that gaping goal with his shot, that as you said yesterday in the pub, was going miles wide anyway! (I didn't introduce myself to you but I was chatting to you with Wilksi and Muttley after the game.)

To be honest its not that I don't see 5 as a fair judgment its becuase it is so far off the other players ratings thats the problem. For me he didn't stand out as being that bad.

All in all, I think that his workrate is excellent but just not enough on its own, although, in fairness, if we can get all of our players fit, he wouldn't even get on the bench.Wouldn't it be great if GJ had a full squad, barring Weale to select from next week?

Also, seeing how Johnson can float the ball in from corners, why do we go and play the short corner, and end up losing the advantage and wasting it??.

I agree. With a plethera of "giants", we should get the thing in early, at pace and that applies to open play as well.Johnson & McAllisters delivery is decent.

Can only disagree with 2 things in that and that was the ratigns of wilson and mccallister. I thoguht Wilson haad a poor game and was always drifting infield and not getting wide enough. We had no width in the 1st half on the right IMO. I also thoguht McCallister had a decent game. Did look tired towards the end as you said but overall a good performance from him again.

Archived