IGNORED

3 most important homes games approach for City!

Jags11

I make no apologies for posting again my disgust at no experienced addition to our continually misfiring strike force. At the same time I say well done for achieving the current position of the team in spite of all the missing players.

The three teams visiting us shortly will be I am sure be at their strongest and with their largest support in ashton gate. Bearing in mind our poor record on vital games with large crowds even against lower opposiion at the Gate can we really exect our team to function in this cauldron with another 'fingers crossed' struggling team due to missing players?

I can only presume the Board are risking luck again in saving money should we not be promoted this season as per our performing results over the last few years.

Maybe they think the supporters will be happy with just a few more red seats if we do not make it ?

Gosh the 'PRIZE' is so large and the 'SPENDING' is so minimum with the 'RISK' taking on commercial success unbelievable.

A.K.T.

Gary Johnson has said that he would like to add strength up front, but he isn't going to be able to do so unless there is someone available who will add value to the squad. I don't hear many names being mentioned, and the attacking players that are being picked up by other clubs (such as the lad signed by Yeovil last week) all seem untried and of the Barry Corr variety. I'm sure that money is not the issue. Brooker is almost fit again, and if he can last out the final eight matches then that will be better than signing someone on loan. We've won six of our last seven games with the present players, don't forget. For all the criciticism of him, Smith has started three games, and we've won them all.

I make no apologies for posting again my disgust at no experienced addition to our continually misfiring strike force. At the same time I say well done for achieving the current position of the team in spite of all the missing players.

The three teams visiting us shortly will be I am sure be at their strongest and with their largest support in ashton gate. Bearing in mind our poor record on vital games with large crowds even against lower opposiion at the Gate can we really exect our team to function in this cauldron with another 'fingers crossed' struggling team due to missing players?

I can only presume the Board are risking luck again in saving money should we not be promoted this season as per our performing results over the last few years.

Maybe they think the supporters will be happy with just a few more red seats if we do not make it ?

Gosh the 'PRIZE' is so large and the 'SPENDING' is so minimum with the 'RISK' taking on commercial success unbelievable.

A.K.T.

We are not where we are in the league because of luck, but thanks to a sustained and impressive run of results which have been achieved by a squad that has more strength in depth than any I can remember in recent times. Given that we have scored more goals than both Forest and Yeovil this season, I'd rather focus on their deficiencies in front of goal than ours. They are the ones who will have to come to Ashton Gate and bring the game to us, which can only be to our benefit. Whether trying to assimilate a new player into a tightly knit and confident squad at this stage of the season would be a good idea is open to question. A fully fit Steve Brooker - if such a person exists - is the striker we really need to help take us up.

Sure it would help if we had someone scoring loads of goals eg - A Billy Sharp.

However how do you know that these players have been on offer and who would you have bought in?

No one wants to sell their star striker half way through a season. One Positive I will take from this (Other than the fact we are second and 2 of our strikers have scored in our last 3 games) is that our midfield for the first time in years and our defence are getting goals to.

A.K.T.

5 wins from our last 6 and we've won our last 4 away games and you desrcibe us as a 'struggling team'. Not mention we're 4 points clear of 2nd and 7 clear of 3rd

If someone would of offered us our current postition before the season had started 99% of City fans would of bitten there arm off!

What more do you want?:unsure:

A.K.T.

I share the exact concerns and this is a good post.

BUT

We are not where we are now by fluke. Sure recently we havent been playing well, but with the exception of Bradford, we are still winning games - but this cant go on!

I think these big games will bring the Bristol City we saw against Coventry and Boro. 3 full houses and the guarentee of automatic promotion, they wont bottle it.

will they?

Whether trying to assimilate a new player into a tightly knit and confident squad at this stage of the season would be a good idea is open to question. A fully fit Steve Brooker - if such a person exists - is the striker we really need to help take us up.

Some good points Dave other than Smith was brought in and had to 'assimilate' just like any other loan signing would have to now. But the lad is no where near the required quality and that was proven against Crewe, who have a weak defence at the best of times and absolutely woeful the remainder. We didn't look like scoring for 85 minutes, thankfully the ONE corner which actually found McCombe's head was steered over the line by someone's backside. Yes it was good enough to win that game because quite simply without Maynard and Varney Crewe have nothing, are nothing, but it won't do for the remainder of what is such a pivotal period of the season.

Someone in the 'know' mentioned as early as mid September last year that Brooker's injury was a lot more long term than the club were admitting to and that he would struggle to play a meaningful part to the season. Well that has also been proven to be 100% correct. Since then we have gained £2m for young Cotterill and had ample opportunities to get in a quality striker. The failure to do so could still cost us promotion both from an Automatic perspective and the Play-off's.

A fully fit Steve Brooker - if such a person exists - is the striker we really need to help take us up.

I regret that Brooker & Fully Fit don't just sit together in the same sentence

Some good points Dave other than Smith was brought in and had to 'assimilate' just like any other loan signing would have to now. But the lad is no where near the required quality and that was proven against Crewe, who have a weak defence at the best of times and absolutely woeful the remainder. We didn't look like scoring for 85 minutes, thankfully the ONE corner which actually found McCombe's head was steered over the line by someone's backside. Yes it was good enough to win that game because quite simply without Maynard and Varney Crewe have nothing, are nothing, but it won't do for the remainder of what is such a pivotal period of the season.

Someone in the 'know' mentioned as early as mid September last year that Brooker's injury was a lot more long term than the club were admitting to and that he would struggle to play a meaningful part to the season. Well that has also been proven to be 100% correct. Since then we have gained £2m for young Cotterill and had ample opportunities to get in a quality striker. The failure to do so could still cost us promotion both from an Automatic perspective and the Play-off's.

Can't disagree with any of that and when one sees the likes of Best & Beckford doing so well and costing nowt but wages you have to scratch your head at our inability to find someone better than Andy Smith.

I regret that Brooker & Fully Fit don't just sit together in the same sentence

Can't disagree with any of that and when one sees the likes of Best & Beckford doing so well and costing nowt but wages you have to scratch your head at our inability to find someone better than Andy Smith.

Perhaps we should be questioning the ability of our scouting network, headed up by none other than Mr Johnson's brother. :whistle2:

City's last 10 League games:

29 31-Jan-07 H Cheltenham Town L 0-1 (0-1) 12,227

30 05-Feb-07 A S****horpe United L 0-1 (0-1) 5,108

31 10-Feb-07 H Huddersfield Town D 1-1 (0-0) Johnson 88 11,636

32 17-Feb-07 A Blackpool W 1-0 (0-0) Andrews 53 6,696

33 24-Feb-07 A Brighton & Hove Albion W 2-0 (1-0) Jevons 43, 84p 6,280

34 03-Mar-07 H Northampton Town W 1-0 (1-0) Betsy 19 11,965

35 07-Mar-07 A Chesterfield W 3-1 (3-0) Keogh 8; Johnson 36; Noble 45 3,471

36 10-Mar-07 H Brentford W 1-0 (1-0) Jevons 5p 11,826

37 13-Mar-07 H Bradford City L 2-3 (1-1) Jevons 13; Russell 90 13,201

38 17-Mar-07 A Crewe Alexandra W 1-0 (0-0) Showunmi 85 5,731

Goals For: 12

Scorers:

Jevons 4

Johnson 2

Andrews 1

Betsy 1

Keogh 1

Noble 1

Russell 1

Showunmi 1

Of those scorers, Jevons is now carrying a niggling injury and Showunmi scored his first goal on Saturday, since 20th January.

Andrews has been retired for the season.

The fact is, we've struggled to kill off teams during this period, most of which are in the lower half of League 1.

The only 'fit' scoring striker is Showunmi.

people bang on about Beckford and Best...however when they joined those clubs their record was barely better than that of Andy Smith,

infact at least Smith had some record of goal scoring albeit in Ireland,

if we had signed Best or Beckford no doubt before their first games they would have been written off as rubbish as they hadn't scored enough goals in the past

A.K.T.we score more than forest yeovil swansea with a so say poor strike record :bruce_h4h: but i like the fact we spread goals around and do not rely on just 2 players as our league pos and goals scored prove so stop moaning look at the table and get real[lita brooker50 goals between them we stayed down]i don t care how we play i want 4 more wins happy days

Gary Johnson has said that he would like to add strength up front, but he isn't going to be able to do so unless there is someone available who will add value to the squad. I don't hear many names being mentioned, and the attacking players that are being picked up by other clubs (such as the lad signed by Yeovil last week) all seem untried and of the Barry Corr variety. I'm sure that money is not the issue. Brooker is almost fit again, and if he can last out the final eight matches then that will be better than signing someone on loan. We've won six of our last seven games with the present players, don't forget. For all the criciticism of him, Smith has started three games, and we've won them all.

That is a cracking post and far too sensible for this board - moderators please remove forthwith!

Archived