IGNORED

Brooker.....(sorry again)

Dolman Block B

I'm pleased to hear he,s on the way back.

Still see him as the man who could fire us all the way to the championship.

Not knocking the other strikers, but all of us has seen what Brooker is capable on his day, and hope he hits form at the right time.

Maybe on the bench for sat , but i would say a MUST to start against Forest.

Thing is with the guy, he can rattle a few feathers in the oppositions defence, as he sort of "bullys" them.

A fit and full squad is a big big plus between now and the and of the season, with Brooker up front, leading the line is a massive bonus. :fingerscrossed:

Top man he has been missed; although we managed..just. Will be an asset for sure over the run in just hope hes fit to go. (he`s had a long enough rest) :cool2:

I think everyone realises that on form he's easily our best front player, though there was a spell in January when Enoch ran him close.

If he's fit I'd start him at Doncaster and see if he can manage an hour, there is then another week until we play Forest.

Problem is he hasn't ever got into a run of games this season and his track record in 06/07 gives me no confidence that he's now about to do so.

He'll take a few games to get fit as he always does. By that time the season will be over (hopefully!). I'd restrict him to the bench and reserves before chucking him straight back in. Nice option on the bench, but it's probably best to stick with what we've got and what's got us this far at the moment.

Yea Brooks and Enoch are far an away our best strikers on there day, but Brooker hasn't been fit yet this season, with 8 games to go, he owes this club a few goals. don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of his, but the last 8 games are massive and he could be huge for the last 4 or 5.

Top man he has been missed; although we managed..just. Will be an asset for sure over the run in just hope hes fit to go. (he`s had a long enough rest) :cool2:

Agree GL.

Had to smile earlier, chap said perhaps all us City fans have been mistaken and infact it was HIM that was 9 months pregnant!!!!!!! And just delivered.........

I'm pleased to hear he,s on the way back.

Still see him as the man who could fire us all the way to the championship.

Not knocking the other strikers, but all of us has seen what Brooker is capable on his day, and hope he hits form at the right time.

Maybe on the bench for sat , but i would say a MUST to start against Forest.

Thing is with the guy, he can rattle a few feathers in the oppositions defence, as he sort of "bullys" them.

A fit and full squad is a big big plus between now and the and of the season, with Brooker up front, leading the line is a massive bonus. :fingerscrossed:

Hi Arny - bet you a pound he doesn't appear AT ALL in our next two games !

I think everyone realises that on form he's easily our best front player, though there was a spell in January when Enoch ran him close.

If he's fit I'd start him at Doncaster and see if he can manage an hour, there is then another week until we play Forest.

Problem is he hasn't ever got into a run of games this season and his track record in 06/07 gives me no confidence that he's now about to do so.

I agree and he is the one player that GJ will pick as soon as he's fit (Swansea & Blackpool) rather than bring in slowly.Brookers normally a 33 games a season player so let's hope that he has 8 games minimum left in him this season.

He'll take a few games to get fit as he always does. By that time the season will be over (hopefully!). I'd restrict him to the bench and reserves before chucking him straight back in. Nice option on the bench, but it's probably best to stick with what we've got and what's got us this far at the moment.

The trouble is that what we've got includes Showunmi who's not exactly Mr Reliable and, after that the cupboards pretty bare in terms of physical presence. Smith's a tryer, but if we wanted that we should have held on to Bas.

With eight games to go, that could well be pivotal to the next ten years, I'd play Brooker when fit on the basis that he'll only improve his fitness with games and, in all honesty, he probably won't stay fit for long, based not only on this season but his career to date.

As I've said elsewhere GJ will have to go out and get two quality strikers IF we are promoted and we keep SB & ES.

In terms of his record, 1:2.44 albeit only at League One Level, is good however his appearances 83 since Sept 2004 isn't great

I agree and he is the one player that GJ will pick as soon as he's fit (Swansea & Blackpool) rather than bring in slowly.Brookers normally a 33 games a season player so let's hope that he has 8 games minimum left in him this season.

The trouble is that what we've got includes Showunmi who's not exactly Mr Reliable and, after that the cupboards pretty bare in terms of physical presence. Smith's a tryer, but if we wanted that we should have held on to Bas.

With eight games to go, that could well be pivotal to the next ten years, I'd play Brooker when fit on the basis that he'll only improve his fitness with games and, in all honesty, he probably won't stay fit for long, based not only on this season but his career to date.

As I've said elsewhere GJ will have to go out and get two quality strikers IF we are promoted and we keep SB & ES.

Great judgement Ian, Brooker will improve his fitness with every game, and that is a reason to play him NOW

It is such a bummer that Popisil decided he wanted to leave Hearts only a couple of weeks AFTER we bid for him!

He would have been just the sort of signing we could do with right now, and with him playing in blooming Scotland we can't even go back to try and get hold of him now!

BB, you seem to know lots about these things; whats the chances we might go for him again this summer?

In terms of his record, 1:2.44 albeit only at League One Level, is good however his appearances 83 since Sept 2004 isn't great

I just think it will cost us points while he gets fit, sorry, if he gets fit. The same arguments about Smith playing and not doing anything apply to Brooker IMO. After he comes back it takes 4-5 games for his touch to be right and his workrate to be up to scratch.

It'd be more frustrating watching a palyer who can do it, not doing it than having Smith there. I wouldn't play either of them if possible. Showunmi's not great in the fitness stakes this season but he has scored goals when fit. And perhaps more importantly in the context of Brooker returning, Enoch has scored immediately on his return.

I would at the moment pick Smith over Brooker. Just because he's got the match fitness.

Brooker looks a mess when he comes back, and he's been coming back all season long, which is why he's got a pathetic goal return even from the games he's played.

Brooker of now, is not the Brooker with ten games under his belt in a row. I think more people need to realise this.

I just think it will cost us points while he gets fit, sorry, if he gets fit. The same arguments about Smith playing and not doing anything apply to Brooker IMO. After he comes back it takes 4-5 games for his touch to be right and his workrate to be up to scratch.

It'd be more frustrating watching a palyer who can do it, not doing it than having Smith there. I wouldn't play either of them if possible. Showunmi's not great in the fitness stakes this season but he has scored goals when fit. And perhaps more importantly in the context of Brooker returning, Enoch has scored immediately on his return.

I would at the moment pick Smith over Brooker. Just because he's got the match fitness.

Brooker looks a mess when he comes back, and he's been coming back all season long, which is why he's got a pathetic goal return even from the games he's played.

Brooker of now, is not the Brooker with ten games under his belt in a row. I think more people need to realise this.

Good point RH, but he inspires the players and the fans when on the pitch, which I'm afraid Smith don't.

I think give him a go and see mate

Here go the conspiracy theorists again.

PDG

Only being a 'realist' and after following BCFC for 38 years I can smell a rat.

We will not get anyone in before thursday and Brooker will not start on saturday and possibly not even be on the bench..

BCAGFC

Only being a 'realist' and after following BCFC for 38 years I can smell a rat.

We will not get anyone in before thursday and Brooker will not start on saturday and possibly not even be on the bench..

BCAGFC

I`m only a year or so behind you as far as supporting City goes mate, and as for being a `realist`, get real. Unless that is you are more qualified to manage, coach or treat the players, than GJ and the rest of the team.

Yes we are all entitled to an opinion and in my opinion your opinion sucks. Stop trying to tar the current management with the same brush as past individuals. Unless of course you already have evidence of people at the Gate trying to scupper our promotion campaign.

Too many people on this forum jumping on the same old bandwagon.

It amazes me how you can face waking up in the morning with this sort of outlook on life.

GRRR

PDG

Yes we are all entitled to an opinion and in my opinion your opinion sucks.

Vice versa regarding your opinion.

How many times this season have we been told that a certain player would be fit in a certain amount of time and their estimations have been way off (6 weeks in 1 case).

I would suggest that if we don't get anyone in by thursday then it would be someone else who is trying to scupper our promotion hopes not me as each of the top 7 or 8 sides are trying to get players in for the final push.

I am 150% behind GJ and the management of BCFC and always have been even through the 'God' saga.

BCAGFC

I`m only a year or so behind you as far as supporting City goes mate, and as for being a `realist`, get real. Unless that is you are more qualified to manage, coach or treat the players, than GJ and the rest of the team.

Yes we are all entitled to an opinion and in my opinion your opinion sucks. Stop trying to tar the current management with the same brush as past individuals. Unless of course you already have evidence of people at the Gate trying to scupper our promotion campaign.

It amazes me how you can face waking up in the morning with this sort of outlook on life.

GRRR

PDG

37 years of watching City and you are still a happy clappy, fair play to you man. :mafia:

How many times this season have we been told that a certain player would be fit in a certain amount of time and their estimations have been way off (6 weeks in 1 case).

And we`d be the only club that this sort of thing happens to would it. What a ridiculous post.

PDG

GRRR

PDG

We've scored just 12 goals in our last 10 games, and 9 of those matches were against teams in the bottom half of League One.

Jevons has contributed 4 of our haul and Showunmi just one.

Brooker is injury prone, Jevons has just recovered from a groin strain and Enoch's fitness has been questionable at times.

Andrews is out for the season and Smith is goalless - in his entire English League career.

It amazes me why people would query a forum member's right to question our abilty to obtain automatic promotion, whilst in possession of the facts.

If we don't obtain a loanee, then I hope that with a fit and hungry squad City will succeed without the need to enter the play-off lottery.

However, don't belittle people if they don't agree with you.

We've scored just 12 goals in our last 10 games, and 9 of those matched were against teams in the bottom half of League One.

Brooker is injury prone, Jevons has just recovered from a groin strain and Enoch's fitness has been questionable at times.

Andrews is out for the season and Smith is goalless - in his entire English League career.

It amazes me why people would query a forum member's right to question our abilty to obtain automatic promotion, whilst in possession of the facts.

If we don't obtain a loanee, then I hope that with a fit and hungry squad City will succeed without the need to enter the play-off lottery.

Its all about opinions on here. But after seeing us fail on 3 occassion for automatic promotion with Wilson I would say we need a loan striker. We really need to strengthen at the top and as we have the most injury prone strikeforce I have witnessed in 18 years of supporting city, we need it now. Failure to do so and risking the squad we have is dicing with what could be automatic place or a play-off place. I know which I would prefer.

We've scored just 12 goals in our last 10 games, and 9 of those matches were against teams in the bottom half of League One.

If you read my post you`d see that what you`ve said virtually applies to our whole season. We hav`nt been prolific ALL season, one or more of our forwards has been out ALL season.....and YET because we are now where we are its suddenly imperative we get the type of player in who`s going to get the goals to get promotion.......HELLO....wake up call......if they are out there then they`re already doing the job for their clubs. GJ has stated what he wants from a player joining this club and i agree with him, if that means we go to the end of the season as is, so be it.

I wasn`t aware i`d belittled him, if thats the case MP`s belittle eachother everyday.

Pass another hymn sheet. :preacher:

PDG

If you read my post you`d see that what you`ve said virtually applies to our whole season. We hav`nt been prolific ALL season, one or more of our forwards has been out ALL season.....and YET because we are now where we are its suddenly imperative we get the type of player in who`s going to get the goals to get promotion.......HELLO....wake up call......if they are out there then they`re already doing the job for their clubs. GJ has stated what he wants from a player joining this club and i agree with him, if that means we go to the end of the season as is, so be it.

I wasn`t aware i`d belittled him, if thats the case MP`s belittle eachother everyday.

Pass another hymn sheet. :preacher:

PDG

Not necessarily. Look at Yeovil who ahve had Best on loan and have signed other players such as Stewart during the season. It would be silly to not strengthen the squad now. What happens if Brooker and Enoch and JEvons get injured and are out to the close season? We then have no fit strikers and the possibility of a play-off lottery. Even the best managers strengthen at the top.We have been lucky so far relying on others to score goals but we have massive games coming up and promotion is the key.

Not necessarily. Look at Yeovil who ahve had Best on loan and have signed other players such as Stewart during the season. It would be silly to not strengthen the squad now. What happens if Brooker and Enoch and JEvons get injured and are out to the close season? We then have no fit strikers and the possibility of a play-off lottery. Even the best managers strengthen at the top.We have been lucky so far relying on others to score goals but we have massive games coming up and promotion is the key.

And it was GJ who got rid of Stewart, thankfully.

Look, i`ve heard GJ`s very own words on the subject. He knows what he wants, more than likely knows who he wants. Young Premiership players don`t want to come down to Lge 1...Championship players won`t commit if there`s a chance of still playing Lge 1 next season. Personally, i think we are going to have to be prepared to get through with what we`ve got.

We have midfielders who can score goals. Should injuries (or further injuries) occur to our 1st choice forwards we still have players that can play the role that might not neccesarily get the goals but will do the job up front with the support from the midfield. Don`t forget we also have some talented young players that GJ can call upon when he feels they`re ready.

Anyway, lets just agree to disagree, thats what a forum is for. How boring would it be if we all agreed with eachother. :ermm:

PDG

and yet despite him playing so few games he is still joint 2nd on our assist's? which is a sign that when he does play he makes a MAJOR difference to our team, the only player who has created more goals than him is Lee Johnson? and how many of LJ's assists have been from set pieces?

Brooker isn't getting the goals right away, but he is the main target man and he creates more goals for others

and yet despite him playing so few games he is still joint 2nd on our assist's? which is a sign that when he does play he makes a MAJOR difference to our team, the only player who has created more goals than him is Lee Johnson? and how many of LJ's assists have been from set pieces?

Brooker isn't getting the goals right away, but he is the main target man and he creates more goals for others

He's also joint 8th highest scorer. Behind a Cheltenham player with a broken leg and equal with a player who has only played 10 games including 5 as sub for us.

I don't believe assists tell much. But if you do, then Steve Brooker only gave 4 assists in each of the last two seasons beofre this one. That means he didn't do his job at all as this supposed target man and creator despite playing and scoring.

In fact he's only one behind his greatest ever assist tally of 8, and that was in a season where he was feeding Steven McPhee and playing regularly.

His assists read 7 (so far) 4, 4, 8, 2 in the last 5 years. Bang goes your Brooker assist myth.

In fairness, he looked decent at Swansea until he tired and should have been replaced about 15/20 minutes earlier than he was and he was fine at Blackpool.

In all seriousness, there is far more likelihood of SB & ES scoring two, than Smith scoring at all.

I'd play Brooker, get two or three up and then play Smith to do the closing down and hard work

Brooker looks a mess when he comes back, and he's been coming back all season long, which is why he's got a pathetic goal return even from the games he's played.Brooker of now, is not the Brooker with ten games under his belt in a row. I think more people need to realise this.

The quandry is, we've only got eight games left and Brooker will only get better by playing games.He can have a long rest and get back to full fitness in the close season.Four or five goals between nowe and the end of the season, which is possible given his career average/ratio, will, not could, be the difference between auto or not.

He's also joint 8th highest scorer. Behind a Cheltenham player with a broken leg and equal with a player who has only played 10 games including 5 as sub for us.

I don't believe assists tell much. But if you do, then Steve Brooker only gave 4 assists in each of the last two seasons beofre this one. That means he didn't do his job at all as this supposed target man and creator despite playing and scoring.

In fact he's only one behind his greatest ever assist tally of 8, and that was in a season where he was feeding Steven McPhee and playing regularly.

His assists read 7 (so far) 4, 4, 8, 2 in the last 5 years. Bang goes your Brooker assist myth.

which goes to show how much he has improved as a player since he has been here with Johnson at the helm, his first two seasons as a team we have been poor and been relient on him to get more goals, in his first season he had Lita with him he was just scoring from all over the place including alot of solo goals, he now has quality forwards alongside him in Enoch and Jevons who are able to score from the chances brooker has created, whereas in the past he has had to do most of the scoring himself, prior to this year he's been playing the goal scorers role where this season he is doing more of the target man role which he was doing at Port Vale.

thanks for digging up that info I feel it has further proved my point

We all know he is capable of scoring goals when 100% fit, but this season he has gone along way to prove (despite fitness problems) that he can play the target man role, if we can get him fully fit and firing for next season we will have trouble keeping him!

Archived