IGNORED

I don't even really care about England

BristolCity1992

Ok thats a lie I do care but they are not a par with City really but I was in a writing mood.

However made a post for www.footiethreads.com shameless plug there and thought I would share it here anyway.

How many England players can you really say are world class? Not many and I think that is part of the problem.

Lets have a look at the team that started on Saturday. The ratings are not based on teh performance at the weekend.

Robinson

Hm, hard one, I think he is very good but he has his problems at times, I think in the Premiership there are 5 better keepers than him. Given, VDS, Chech, Lehman and Big Brad. Probably more that others will find to, but those are off the top of my head.

So is he world class? No.

He is good though and if I was to give him a score out of 10.

7.5/10

Problem is for most contrys that is their second choice keeper. You could pull out the old to many of the top players in england are from a different country, that in goalkeepers at least I think is true.

Neville

You having a joke?

How he is still in the England team is beyond me. Ok, Richards was unfit and his Brother is really good but if Phill Neville is our only choice we are in trouble.

I would have played JC here but this is England all over to scared to take a chance and I don't meen a risk that is only a media ploy IE - dropping Beckham, but a take a real chance that no one would even really notice by playing JC on the right and Barry on the left. Average Prem player.

4/10

Richards

Very good young talent, should have started over Phill anyway who cant tackle has nothing going foward and is just a standing joke.

7/10 right now but one day will replace Gary.

Ferdinand

Decent enough our him and Terry are very good indeed and I think he is a top little player does let his mind wander and is a bit of a ###### but other than that he is a good footballer.

8/10

The first one I think I can call world class.

Terry

Our best player in my opinion, great for club and country and as far as I know is a nice guy as well.

Deffo one of the best defenders in the world.

10/10

Carragher

Not as good as everyone made out to be a couple of seasons back but before that he was underated I though and he has always had that class touch to him.

Better in the middle and as I said earlier should have played on the right with Barry on the left.

World class? No. Top Prem player though and deserves to be in the team unlike Phill **** Nev.

7.5/10

Gerrard

Wish he could do what he does for Pool for England, our most creative force in my opinion but whatever way he is played for England it never seems to work, problem is he has never been given a proper run of games in the middle with Hargreaves in my opinion.

One friendly is not enough but as I said its England no one wants to take risks.

8/10

World class when he plays for 10 but cant do it for England for a few reasons I think.

Lampard

Remember the Gerrard V Lampard debate a while ago, I will admit back then I was firmly in the Lampard camp there. However now I think enogh is enough, he does it just like Gerrard for his club but cant do it for England, he needs to be benched at the very least. He is great for Chelsea but that does not matter.

6/10 for England at least.

Hargreaves

Is good at what he does and every team should have one, had a harsh time and earnt his place despite so many slagging him off and only a few sticking up for him on this Board, IIRC me, Tony and Mike GTFC, well we were right boys. ;)

He is not world class really, not like Claude at Chelsea but he is the best we have at the job we ask him to do and very good at it to.

8/10

Lennon

Fantastic ablity but made to play on the left wing, the boy is special but hope he keeps his head on the ground.

8/10

One day.

Downing

Another one who I think one day will be good gets far to much stick which is no fault of his own.

Will never be world class but will be a good back up player.

7/10

Rooney

Not doing it for England right now. Where is that Passion that he had when he first came into the scene, apparntly hates stevie mac as well, still he has the class and in my opinion is already world class.

8.5/10

Johnson

Average and would not get a look in if others were fit in my opinion.

7/10

Defoe

Cant get in the Spurs team, is not to bad I guess I rate him over AJ and I think he has done well when he starts for England.

7/10

Foster

Real bright spark will one day be Englands number one, has his head screwed on.

7/10

Barry

Solid enough player who I think should be first choice on the left wing over what we had fit.

7/10

Carrick

Really not that good.

6.5/10 :P

Dyer

Shame we are still saying now that he has loads of promise when he is 29. :(

7/10

So overall 3 or 4 world class players 2 of whom only play good for their clubs. Not good enough really is it?

Players that were not in the squad due to injury.

Owen who we miss os much what we would do for him and Joe Cole as well who is superb.

Crouch is a poor mans Dean Ashton in my opinion.

:( Gloomy times.

The only player England has who is world class is

Rooney with a few ????

Ferdinand cant defend properly

Terry way to slow to be world class

Lampard not even close

Gerrard gives ball away to often should play more % passes

the rest of the team not even worth a mention

You don't need a team full of world class players to win things on the international stage, You just need a commited, hungry side that has enough talent in the final third to cause other teams problems.

If you break the areas of the team down in Defence, Midfield and Attack then there is without doubt enough quality there. The problem we have had for sometime now is that tactically we are all over the place. If the manager plays anything other that 4-4-2 then the press are straight on it highlighting the flaws and the new formation is promptly dropped (think holland friendly)

World class for me are -

Terry, You don't need to be blessed with blistering pace to be a good defender. Maldini anyone? One of the best defenders of the last twenty years but slow !

Gerrard - Give the guy the middle of the pitch. Lampard is not fit to tie his laces. I accept that he may give the ball away more than some players but he is in the side to make things happen. Look at the ball retention stats for play makers in general and there passing completed percentage will never be that good.

Rooney - Has that spark and will get more consistent in front of goal as he gets older. I would like to see McLaren try and reign him in a little as he drops far to deep for my liking, Far to often you see him back on the edge of his own box tracking back, while this shows a great work ethic England don't have the players like Man U who can break quickly with rooney (giggs, Ronaldo etc)

The rest for me are players that should be picked around these guys, Theres the spine of the team and with the right players and right formation we should be winning far more games than we lose.

[

Terry, You don't need to be blessed with blistering pace to be a good defender. Maldini anyone? One of the best defenders of the last twenty years but slow !

Maldini SLOW!!!!

i don't think so

Yes he has lost a yard or two

but when he was at his peak

there wasnt a quicker defender anywhere

The saddest thing about the England set up is that you can see the frustration in Rooney's face, actions, demeanour and everything else. Why? Because the England players are not anywhere near his wavelength. yet when he goes back to Man Ut he has Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo etc. who can all pick him out with a decent pass and get him playing to his strengths.

Lets face it, as a team (rather than as individuals) England are about as good as Sheffield United. Bristol City and any other half decent lower league side would have fancied their chances against Andorra yet our collection of superstars who are "INSULTED" when they are only offered £55K per week to play football made as big a pigs ear of it as you are ever likely to see.

Robinson - Decent, nowhere near world class

Cashley - One of the worst "defenders" in the Premiership - whenever up against a decent player (bar one decent performance against Ronaldo a few years ago) he gets skinned

Terry - Top player who would walk into most teams in Europe

Ferdinand - Good player but not world class

Richards - Has potential

Downing - Nowhere near world class

Gerrard - Top player who would walk into all teams in Europe

Hargreaves - Top player at what he does

Lennon - Hit and miss for me

Johnson - Someones having a laugh. The only England shirt he should wear should come from JJB Sports

Rooney - Top player starved of decent service in a distinctly average side

As a team - see above - Neil Warnock could put a side out to beat them.

The saddest thing about the England set up is that you can see the frustration in Rooney's face, actions, demeanour and everything else. Why? Because the England players are not anywhere near his wavelength. yet when he goes back to Man Ut he has Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo etc. who can all pick him out with a decent pass and get him playing to his strengths.

Yes thats spot on, ronaldo giggs or scholes are always there to pick him out and he plays with a smile when in a man utd shirt - yet for england there are no players which can do this and he gets all the stick for not scoring, yet you can see hes fed up with the support

The only England players who I think could possibly considered world class are Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Terry and obviously Rooney.

What worries me is that I look through the squad and people on the fringe, and I just don't see much there, and as for players coming through it is a worry.

Persoanlly I'd like Dawson of Spurs given a chance to come in for Ferdinand, who acts like he couldn't give a monkeys.

Archived